Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

Gaza Blitz - Turmoil And Tragicomedy At The BBC

Worth reading, for a look at what now passes for "balance".

Another example is how they use hardline Zionists and Israeli apologists in the guise of neutral commentators. It's a long-established tactic of the Israelis to try to get their spokespeople accepted as independent commentators, and there is absolutely no excuse for a reputable news agency to be taken in by it.

But they seem so much on the defence at the moment, they don't know their arse from their elbow. They even apologised to Jonathan Sacks for asking him a question to which he gave an unguarded answer, as though they had somehow tricked him. For those who didn't hear it live (I did), he finished "thought for the day" and was immediately asked about the conflict. He started saying how it was all to do with Iran, and when quickly told he was still on air, substituted some platitudes about praying for peace.

...He started saying how it was all to do with Iran, and when quickly told he was still on air, substituted some platitudes about praying for peace.

At least he was honest - and spot on in my view.

Out of curiosity, what in the past few years has happened with Fatah. Did they simply just lose a considerable amount of influence after the death of Arafat?

Still in control of the West Bank but they were mostly murdered (literally) by Hamas in Gaza during the latter's take over.

Still in control of the West Bank but they were mostly murdered (literally) by Hamas in Gaza during the latter's take over.

Oh wow, that's pretty grim. It seemed like under Fatah, they were possibly heading towards the direction of more stability/a better managing of issues with Israel; however, that has gone out the window quickly. Was there some sort of mass movement of followers to Hamas, like in the sense that the population of Palestine became highly disillusioned under Fatah leadership and Hamas step forward and promised people they would get their land back and rid the Middle East of the Jewish state?

Drive through a certain areas here and you will find plenty of Palestinian or Israeli flags flying.

Bonkers but it happens.

IIRC Hamas overthrew Fatah without much of a mandate and as has been mentioned, are certainly not representitive of the Palestinian people. Get rid of Hamas and negotiations would go smoother (in theory).

Although that Hamas head honcho Israel smoked that kicked all this off was in the middle of negotiating a truce. Go figure.

Was there some sort of mass movement of followers to Hamas, like in the sense that the population of Palestine became highly disillusioned under Fatah leadership and Hamas step forward and promised people they would get their land back and rid the Middle East of the Jewish state?

They do what all politicians do, promised to be better than the other guy. Then they killed the other guy to make sure he couldn't return the favour.

IIRC Hamas overthrew Fatah without much of a mandate and as has been mentioned, are certainly not representative of the Palestinian people. Get rid of Hamas and negotiations would go smoother (in theory).

Although that Hamas head honcho Israel smoked that kicked all this off was in the middle of negotiating a truce. Go figure.

I feel like I read previously that Hamas gets a vast majority of it's financial backing from Saudi Arabia, in the forms of charities and what not. I am surprised there hasn't been more work towards trying to cut this financial backing/freeze Hamas assets by Western Countries/Israel in order to destabilize them (or if there has been happening, I just am not aware). Although I suppose even if that was attempted, other countries and organizations with a vested interest in Israeli opposition would just back Hamas, such as Hezbollah and Iran.

Hamas is a creature of Iran not Saudi, and are allied to the Muslim Brotherhood running Egypt. The rockets they are firing come from Iran via Sudan mostly hence the Israeli air raid to destroy the factory that assembled them in Khartoum a few weeks ago. From there they were transported through Egypt to Gaza. The Izzies know they have loads more which is why the ground invasion will probably go ahead to destroy them.

Likewise Hezbollah is basically an arm of the Iranian military and can be expected to start poking Israel soon, although at the moment they are devoting a lot of resources and manpower to supporting Assad in Syria.

Â