Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

On 05/02/2024 at 07:27, magnkarl said:

I guess he's referring to the people who are now critising these MPs (rightly) for taking whatever off an Israeli, who thought it was perfectly reasonable for 'the other wing' to have their headline acts have a talkshow on Iranian or Russian propaganda TV. 

Both things are bad, but I think one is worse, much due to the fact that we're close to foreign agent territory with at least two of them (GG and CW).

It's less about who deserves criticism for what, it's about assuming that somebody's political motives are going to be significantly swayed as a result of money or favours that they have received.

I don't think that a politician that has been flown to Tel Aviv for a fact-finding trip (sic) is going to suddenly think "well I now clearly have to be on Netanyahu's side because of those nice dinners that I had on the beach that time".

In the same way that I don't think the likes of Corbyn receiving money from Russian and Iranian state television means that his ideology automatically aligns with theirs.

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I don't think that a politician that has been flown to Tel Aviv for a fact-finding trip (sic) is going to suddenly think "well I now clearly have to be on Netanyahu's side because of those nice dinners that I had on the beach that time".

I don't think the likes of Corbyn receiving money from Russian and Iranian state television means that his ideology automatically aligns with theirs.

No no no no. Only one of these thoughts is acceptable.

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

It's less about who deserves criticism for what, it's about assuming that somebody's political motives are going to be significantly swayed as a result of money or favours that they have received.

In the same way that I don't think the likes of Corbyn receiving money from Russian and Iranian state television means that his ideology automatically aligns with theirs.

We'll have to disagree.

If I'm given a pint, flight or a dinner it's not really comparable to getting a talkshow on RT where someone earns 4-5 figures directly into their own bank account per episode on a state broadcaster from Iran and Russia. (GG and CW)

George Galloway has earned £65,000 in just six months as a presenter and guest for dubious state-run broadcasters.

Galloway hosts two programmes a month for Al-Mayadeen in Beirut, which is funded by anonymous individuals widely believed to be linked to Iran and Lebanon's Hezbollah or to Syria's Assad family members, though this is denied by the channel. He has his return flights and hotel accommodation paid for.

Corbyn is clearly just naive, repeatedly naive. And clearly blind to his actions and biased. If that's because he's received money or dinners from whoever I couldn't say, but for CW and GG I don't think there's much doubt.

Edited by magnkarl

20 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

We'll have to disagree.

If I'm given a pint, flight or a dinner it's not really comparable to getting a talkshow on RT where someone earns 4-5 figures directly into their own bank account per episode on a state broadcaster from Iran and Russia. (GG and CW)

Corbyn is clearly just naive, repeatedly naive. And clearly blind to his actions and biased. If that's because he's received money or dinners from whoever I couldn't say, but for CW and GG I don't think there's much doubt.

I don't think we do disagree. I think we very much do agree. There are some people for whom it is a massive warning sign. The examples you cite being two of them, and there's a reason I chose Corbyn not Galloway in my post.

But we're not talking about those ideological wrong 'uns, we're talking about this "40% of Labour shadow cabinet members are being paid by Israel" thing. As if the pint, flight or dinner that they got from "Israel" means that they are forever more ideologically aligned as a result. Which they're obviously not. And the tacit insinuation that Labour would now be lining up in full support of the Palestinian cause if only the now-corrupted-and-bribed Emily Thornberry hadn't been given a nice hotel room in Tel Aviv a few years ago.

• Like 1

Some of these donors and lobbying groups are tremendously kind altruists.

They give all these people all this financial support and never ever expect anything in return.

Like those nice gambling companies that sponsor events and name stadiums just out of altruism, not to snag new gamblers.

May the lord bless them all for their generosity.

On 06/02/2024 at 19:47, chrisp65 said:

Some of these donors and lobbying groups are tremendously kind altruists.

They give all these people all this financial support and never ever expect anything in return.

Like those nice gambling companies that sponsor events and name stadiums just out of altruism, not to snag new gamblers.

May the lord bless them all for their generosity.

Here's to updated lobby regulations.

But.. I doubt the people receiving money from Israel, Iran, Russia, China, big oil, climate change deniers or US megachurches are going to want to add in more lobby regulations.

It's like asking the goat to surrender the bag of wheat you've got it guarding.

Fundamentally I think people who aspire to be politicians shouldn't be allowed to be politicians. They're crooked from the get-go and have mostly only ever worked at backstabbing\lobbying\licking their way to the top of politics. It should be someone who doesn't want it, or a Swiss style democracy. You're much less likely to want to go to Israel on a 'business trip', praise Putin on your twitter account, defend Iran on Iranian state TV or end up being wee'd on in a Russian hotel while filmed if you don't want to spend time building your political grifting scheme.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

"Evacuate" is doing a lot of work there.

Ethnic cleansing but with modern branding. Sure there will be no trust issues there when/if the relocation starts.

dZToNJ.gif

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

So ot this just blatent ethnic cleansing now.

Why would NATO not start questioning what's going on here?

NATO have nothing to do with this.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I realise this, but shouldn't they not be getting involved? It's completely getting out of hand. 

Neither Israel nor Hamas is attacking a NATO country. It’s a defensive alliance

• Like 3

Â