The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Saka pulls the arm of the defender to instigate contact and results in the defender pulling him to get free. It’s utterly laughable that’s a penalty let alone a foul on Saka. He’s really unlikeable. Massive baby and a cheat. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Saka pulls the arm of the defender to instigate contact and results in the defender pulling him to get free. It’s utterly laughable that’s a penalty let alone a foul on Saka. He’s really unlikeable. Massive baby and a cheat. 

Yep, even sadder that no one seemed to pick up on it, none of the commentators or ‘pundits’ or journalists.

Saka locked Azpilecueta’s arm and then dived, it’s really getting ridiculous now, football is as much about who can cheat the best as who can play the best.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yep, even sadder that no one seemed to pick up on it, none of the commentators or ‘pundits’ or journalists.

Saka locked Azpilecueta’s arm and then dived, it’s really getting ridiculous now, football is as much about who can cheat the best as who can play the best.

It’s ‘smart’ when the English lads do it. 

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I don't think Azpilicueta is "pulling him to get free" :D  He's just pulling him back because that's what players do.  It shouldn't have been given as a penalty, but it's clever by Saka.

36 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't think Azpilicueta is "pulling him to get free" :D  He's just pulling him back because that's what players do.  It shouldn't have been given as a penalty, but it's clever by Saka.

He isn’t pulling him back, watch it closely and you’ll see Saka locks Azpilicueta’s arm under his left arm whilst also holding it with his right arm, then at the opportune moment he lets go and flings himself to the ground.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He isn’t pulling him back, watch it closely and you’ll see Saka locks Azpilicueta’s arm under his left arm whilst also holding it with his right arm, then at the opportune moment he lets go and flings himself to the ground.

Azpilicueta tries to stop him running on to the ball, Saka grabs his arm as they're both running and Azpilicueta then grabs him with his right hand.  He doesn't fling himself to the ground either, just falls over as they're continuing the grabbing.

As I say, I don't think it should be a penalty as they're both at it but it's clever by Saka (and certainly not a dive ffs).

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Azpilicueta tries to stop him running on to the ball, Saka grabs his arm as they're both running and Azpilicueta then grabs him with his right hand.  He doesn't fling himself to the ground either, just falls over as they're continuing the grabbing.

As I say, I don't think it should be a penalty as they're both at it but it's clever by Saka (and certainly not a dive ffs).

And therein lies the beauty of football I guess because I couldn’t disagree more, it’s the epitome of a dive for me but we’re each entitled to our opinions. 

18 hours ago, bobzy said:

I didn't see the game and can't find good footage so I can only so it looked pretty soft, and it does like Saka might've been holding Azpilicueta, but...

Surely just by the fact you've labelled it "clever" means that it is certainly is a dive. You don't need to be clever if you get fouled.

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

I didn't see the game and can't find good footage so I can only so it looked pretty soft, and it does like Saka might've been holding Azpilicueta, but...

Surely just by the fact you've labelled it "clever" means that it is certainly is a dive. You don't need to be clever if you get fouled.

I dunno. I think players can be clever by getting themselves into positions where they get fouled. Like Grealish used to do for us. 

it's not a dive, you just shift the ball and wait to get fouled.

That being said I didn't see the Arsenal/Chelsea game so have no opinion on whether this was the case for Saka

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I dunno. I think players can be clever by getting themselves into positions where they get fouled. Like Grealish used to do for us. 

it's not a dive, you just shift the ball and wait to get fouled.

That being said I didn't see the Arsenal/Chelsea game so have no opinion on whether this was the case for Saka

That's being clever with your body/the ball so that you actually get fouled though, not being clever to manufacture a foul i.e. a dive.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

from what i saw it looked like saka made a run and got goal side of dave, theres then contact via the form of a bit of a body bump and daves arm coming him, saka then tangles arms with him fighting him off before going to ground

theres 2 questions on it, firstly once he's made his run does saka slow his run down which creates the body bump and secondly is he not actually fighting daves arms off is he pulling on them to make the contact look worse and effectively drag dave down with him when he falls

from what ive seen it very much looks like both and id say the quick dart followed by slowing down is clever play like fighoff says (and for me grealish was really good at), the arm pulling is cheating

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

from what i saw it looked like saka made a run and got goal side of dave, theres then contact via the form of a bit of a body bump and daves arm coming him, saka then tangles arms with him fighting him off before going to ground

theres 2 questions on it, firstly once he's made his run does saka slow his run down which creates the body bump and secondly is he not actually fighting daves arms off is he pulling on them to make the contact look worse and effectively drag dave down with him when he falls

from what ive seen it very much looks like both and id say the quick dart followed by slowing down is clever play like fighoff says (and for me grealish was really good at), the arm pulling is cheating

Are you saying Dave just to avoid writing Azpililplepa 4 times? If so, I approve.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

No - it’s not a foul or a dive.

Azpilicueta (let’s use Dave now :D) initially moves to block Saka, Saka pulls Dave’s arm, Dave then pulls Saka’s shirt. The fall is just a natural one - Saka goes over whilst pulling Dave’s arm and Dave is dragging him down too.

It’s “clever” because Saka gets away with the initial foul but to call it a dive or, worse, “cheating” is just silly. 

Â