One For The Road

Exactly the same as Bazunu too. Goalkeeper now is easily the toughest position on the pitch, you're asked so much. Think it happened with Angus Gunn too for a big big fee.

You can't just be a 21 year old keeper anymore and come in and make a few Hollywood saves.

edit : though tbf Bazunu couldn't save a word document.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Haha 1

On 13/11/2023 at 14:57, andym said:

Burnley remind me a bit of us when we first came up - a mix of young, inexperienced players and basically past it players. They actually play ok stuff in the middle of the park, but have big issues at either end of the pitch, in particular they are really easy to score against. Joint worst goal difference in the league.

We stayed up because during the Covid break Deano was able to swallow his pride and accept we couldn't play exactly as he wanted and needed to tighten up at the back. We improved enough to stay up by the skin of our teeth. The question for Burnley is whether Kompany can do the same.

Do Burnley have any players on the level of Grealish, Luiz, McGinn, Mings, Konsa etc.? I guess they're banking on the young players they've signed fulfilling their potential to a similar degree to how ours did back then. I think Koleosho looks a good prospect and Amdouni did impressive numbers in Belgium. Also, Lyle Foster could be a decent striker if they can get him back playing consistently. Not sure I see many real prospects elsewhere (although everyone looks bad when the team is losing meekly most weeks).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Why does every pundit suck off Kompany? Just on the overlap week or two ago it was Neville saying he's on to bigger and better things and all you hear is how impressive he is.

Why? He got a parachute team promoted. Big **** woop.

They're a shambles.

Be a PL winning captain. You'll get smoke blown up your arse no matter how shite you are for the next 30 years.

Bruce and Gerrard. Top top managers.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Trafford is an absolutely catastrophic keeper

I don’t think he’s that bad but isn’t helped by an extremely substandard defence and midfield in front of him.

he’s very young and lacks experience, which can’t be helped - I think he’ll go on to have a decent career. 

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I don’t think he’s that bad but isn’t helped by an extremely substandard defence and midfield in front of him.

he’s very young and lacks experience, which can’t be helped - I think he’ll go on to have a decent career. 

He might go on to have a good career but at the moment he is completely shit

Edited by Stevo985

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He might go on to have a good career but at the moment he is completely shit

…In a poor team - what chance does he have?

wish we’d stop continually labelling players shit or the worst ever etc etc. the hyperbole when describing players is pathetically childish - it’s like being in a school playground. 

• Like 3

Just now, theboyangel said:

wish we’d stop continually labelling players shit or the worst ever etc etc. the hyperbole when describing players is pathetically childish - it’s like being in a school playground. 

Jump was too big really, was playing in league one last year. Needed a season in the championship first. Or even Burnley to sign an experienced keeper (I'm sure they were linked with getting Heaton back last summer) who they could've put in for a spell when Trafford struggled.

Teams have realised if you crowd around him at set pieces he hasn't really filled out so plenty of set piece goals to score v them.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Jump was too big really, was playing in league one last year. Needed a season in the championship first. Or even Burnley to sign an experienced keeper (I'm sure they were linked with getting Heaton back last summer) who they could've put in for a spell when Trafford struggled.

Teams have realised if you crowd around him at set pieces he hasn't really filled out so plenty of set piece goals to score v them.

Totally agree with this. Hopefully it won’t damage him too much as previously with other young keepers.

It’s a tricky position to learn your trade at a young age as generally you sit on the bench waiting for an injury to give you a chance. 

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They have Muric who is also ex City but played all last season and is an international but Kompany is apparently too stubborn to drop Trafford

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Totally agree with this. Hopefully it won’t damage him too much as previously with other young keepers.

It’s a tricky position to learn your trade at a young age as generally you sit on the bench waiting for an injury to give you a chance. 

It's a bit like Bazunu. He has talent but as last season went on he started making errors most weeks because of how bad Southampton were. I presume he's been better this season.

Burnley will just have to regroup again but it's an interesting sell to their fanbase to basically say we'll just be a yo yo team now compared to the pretty stable prem team they were for 5-6 years under Dyche.

• Like 1

Trafford is a good player but of course will make mistakes because of his young age and the position he plays in those mistakes will be more costly and playing at Premier League level will be punished more often

Last season Bolton only conceded 36 goals in the league, the second best defence in the division, Trafford kept 22 cleansheets, that's some going for a twenty year old, most young goalkeepers have to drop into non-league for a loan, even highly rated ones, so for him to get a move to League One and then do as well as he did shows his promise

But probably not ready to be a starter every week in the Premier League, and even more difficult playing for Burnley, I imagine a lot of keepers wouldn't look great playing for them

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Doesn’t matter about the team. Luton have a poor team but Kaminski is having a good season, for example. 

It’s not Trafford’s fault. He’s been signed and thrown into a team when he’s nowhere near ready. 

He’s crap. 

Are we meant to pretend he’s good because he’s young?

Â