EFL Rooney rule

Guest av1

I'm really not sure what to make of this. I feel need to qualify this by saying that I'm not racist at all, and i agree that more people from ethic minorities should be encouraged into management.

I'm just not sure a rule that every club advertising a person "must" interview someone on that basis is the right way to go about it.

BBC

English Football League clubs are "leading the way" to address the under-representation of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) coaches, says EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey.

A pilot of the so-called 'Rooney Rule' will extend to all first-team vacancies at EFL clubs from 1 January for 18 months, the EFL confirmed on Thursday.

Edited by av1

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Why is it called the "Rooney Rule" ?

The rule is named after Dan Rooney, the former owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and former chairman of the league's diversity committee.

It was created as a reaction to the 2002 firings of head coaches Tony Dungy of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Dennis Green of the Minnesota Vikings, at a time when Dungy had a winning record and Green had just had his first losing season in ten years, though Dungy would immediately be hired by the Indianapolis Colts while the Buccaneers would go two months before hiring Jon Gruden. Shortly afterwards, U.S. civil rights attorneys Cyrus Mehri and Johnnie Cochranreleased a study showing that black head coaches, despite winning a higher percentage of games, were less likely to be hired and more likely to be fired than their white counterparts. Former NFL players Kellen Winslow and John Wooten then put together a self-described "affinity group" of minority scouts, coaches, and front-office personnel, to advocate for the rule's creation.[6]

Its purpose was to ensure that minority coaches, especially African Americans, would be considered for high-level coaching positions. Until 1989, when Art Shell was hired by the Raiders, Fritz Pollard was the only minority head coach in NFL history (which was during the league's early years in the 1920s)[7] and by the time the rule was implemented, only Tom Flores, Shell, Dennis Green, Ray Rhodes, Tony Dungy, and Herman Edwards had ever held head coaching jobs (only Dungy and Edwards were actively head coaching at the time of the rule's implementation, though Shell and Green would later return to head coaching).[8] Dungy in particular had struggled for years before getting a head coaching job; he was often promoted as a head coaching candidate by Chuck Noll when Dungy was an assistant under Noll in the 1980s with the Steelers, but he would not become a head coach until 1996 when he took over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Another former Steelers assistant, Marvin Lewis, also struggled to find a head coaching position despite immense success as the Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator and wouldn't find a Wikihead coaching position until being hired by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2003, the year the Rooney Rule went into effect; Lewis, now in his 15th season with the Bengals, became the team's all-time winningest coach.[9][10]

Sounds like something a committee of White people would come up with.

I am all for diversifying and having everyone from all walks of life no matter if they are White, Black, Asian or Barney The Dinosaur that they all get the same opportunities, but I would first examine why there is an under-representation before doing what will be seen by many as nothing more than a token gesture. 

• Like 2

I think its a shit idea, so much money involved in football that clubs will hire the best person for the job whether he is white, black or from outer space

Chris Hughton has done good jobs at most places, Nuno is top of the league with Wolves (though he is also one of them evil foreign managers) they got jobs because they are good managers

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

Sounds like something a committee of White people would come up with.

I am all for diversifying and having everyone from all walks of life no matter if they are White, Black, Asian or Barney The Dinosaur that they all get the same opportunities, but I would first examine why there is an under-representation before doing what will be seen by many as nothing more than a token gesture. 

but token gestures are easy, and Joe and his friends can all point to that and say that they care.

• Like 1

It's counter-productive IMO. As Zatman said, the amount of money in football means that clubs are going to go for what they view as the best people for the job regardless of their race. The danger with stuff like this is that it will reinforce a stereotype that black managers will only to be able to get jobs with special treatment.

the key to it IMO is stat that i dont think ive ever seen wheeled out, out of the 92 clubs 52 of them have english managers, out of the 52 clubs 3 of them have a black manager, magic maths says thats 6%, whats the % of eligible (so they have the right badges in place) candidates that are black? if its 50% then yeah we've got a problem, if its 10% then its starting to sound reasonable

i think people sometimes forget that only 3% of the country are black

id like to think the FA have reviewed this but i doubt it, they've identified a problem and jumped in with both feet with the quickest easiest solution that makes the most positive noise rather than one that could actually make a difference

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the key to it IMO is stat that i dont think ive ever seen wheeled out, out of the 92 clubs 52 of them have english managers, out of the 52 clubs 3 of them have a black manager, magic maths says thats 6%, whats the % of eligible (so they have the right badges in place) candidates that are black? if its 50% then yeah we've got a problem, if its 10% then its starting to sound reasonable

i think people sometimes forget that only 3% of the country are black

id like to think the FA have reviewed this but i doubt it, they've identified a problem and jumped in with both feet with the quickest easiest solution that makes the most positive noise rather than one that could actually make a difference

The relevant point of comparison isn't the population at large (as not just anyone can be a manager) or the number of coaches (as there may be a block to becoming a coach) but the % of retired players who are black, which is the pool prospective coaches are drawn from. 

The creators of the rule would doubtless argue that the perception that they would be unlikely to be hired after completing coaching badges might well be putting off black ex-pros from embarking on coaching careers. This rule certainly helps to test that hypothesis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, penguin said:

Why should people be given an opportunity solely based on the colour of their skin? More tokenism divisive bollocks.

racism really

15 hours ago, TrinityRoadSteps said:

Dwight Yorke might be able to get an interview now 

Can't forgive him for his comments about the scum. My oldest son had Dwight as a middle name. Changed it by deed poll when he went to the sty.

For me if Dwight Yorke went to Bury, got them promoted moved on did the same etc. I could see his point

But he thinks he is entitled to a top job. Not just him same with Ryan Giggs. Its a trade and you have to learn from the bottom

10 hours ago, penguin said:

Why should people be given an opportunity solely based on the colour of their skin? More tokenism divisive bollocks.

8 hours ago, rjw63 said:

racism really

What if the rule was written that interviews must be given to at least one coach of white, black and asian background if they have applied?

That way no white people will be denied an opportunity (lol) and the result would be exactly the same.

This rule is to give minorities an INTERVIEW, there’s no obligation to give them the job. If they’re Paul Ince or Dwight York then they’re obviously not going to get the job.

Edited by a m ole

Â