Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2017)

RunRickyRun

14 minutes ago, hogso said:

Yeah, three developers made SW BF II. I don't think any one of them would have had much input in to the loot box/microtrasactions department as EA themselves. 'You lot make the game, we'll make the money'.

You can imagine the dev's faces around the table.

EA; "WOW guys... just WOW - this is a great game, looks gorgeous, sounds incredible, plays really well"

DEVS; "yea, we're really proud of it"

EA; "There's just one more thing we and Lucas Film would like you to incorporate.." 

DEVS; image.png.a0947f681c67eff030d4c5366931da77.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Slightly OT but I hope this level of micro transactions aren't littered in Anthem too. 

This backlash may actually spare that game to the bare minimum amount of post-release monetisation. I think had Battlefront 2 released unscathed then Anthem would have been dead on arrival, but the community spoke out at the right time.

I think we'll see EA scale back their approach and we'll likely see Anthem mimic Destiny 2's post-release monetisation. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RunRickyRun said:

It still has OP starcards in the game so it hasn't changed much. It's no comfort that you died to a player with 40% extra health that they earned the card rather then bought it.

I agree with this to an extent. In the previous game, your 'ability/trait' levelled up during the match, based on performance. So to be the guy with 40% extra health, you had to rack up kills/objective points etc first. 

Now your still doing that, but in an overall kind of way, so once you've hit the levels and got the cards you are going into matches with high trait abilities at the start, which in the early days will make people OP, if they've put the time in. 

To me that's only really the same as the COD games I used to play years ago though. You'd start off with base stuff, getting wrecked by people with high levels and all the guns. Then you grind, level up and it gets easier. 

The only thing I've found to be 'OP' in the right hands so far, is the vanguard shotgun. I'm not very good with it, but I've unlocked the enhanced one (through gameplay!) and the range on it is ridiculously long. 

The core difference with Call of Duty is that it's a linear progression and as such all players are on the same path and will get the same weapons, perks and unlocks at the same milestones as everyone else. 

Battlefront 2 isn't like that, I could get something OP in my first Crate while it could take someone else 100 hours to get the same thing. That's a random progression and one that the player has zero control over. 

I definitely prefer linear progression paths when it comes to online multiplayer. I understand why a random system benefits a company like EA as it keeps people playing, but I don't think such a system benefits the players at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daweii said:

The core difference with Call of Duty is that it's a linear progression and as such all players are on the same path and will get the same weapons, perks and unlocks at the same milestones as everyone else. 

Battlefront 2 isn't like that, I could get something OP in my first Crate while it could take someone else 100 hours to get the same thing. That's a random progression and one that the player has zero control over. 

I definitely prefer linear progression paths when it comes to online multiplayer. I understand why a random system benefits a company like EA as it keeps people playing, but I don't think such a system benefits the players at all. 

But you don't have to use the crates, you can progress in a linear way in the same way as COD? 

You earn as you play. As your character levels up, your credits build up, then you spend the credits on the star cards/upgrades that you want to use? 

A lot of the blaster upgrades (in fact all of them I think), require in game achievements (150 kills for faster cooling, 250 for another attachment etc etc), it's exactly the same as other games isn't it? 

I still say the micro transaction issue has led to criticism of other things that are prevalent in other games too. It's a shame, I just hope it doesn't put the casual community off, because I've been really looking forward to getting balls deep in this game. 

• Like 1

I'd prefer a system where little johnny robs $200 from his parents to get a 2% advantage here and there. People are stupid enough to pay for anything that may give them a small advantage. Indulging them in such an overpowered way is way overboard and its aim clearly was to turn the fps genre into another Ultimate Team cash cow.

Things like 40% extra health is just gamebreaking. If 2 players face off with 100 base health and 20 damage per shot, the person without the star card has to land 7 shots while taking a maximum of 4 shots!

I prefer it if progression systems it didn't exist but modern games seemingly are judged on them. It's all b*****ks if you ask me, I prefer everyone to be on the same footing with access to the same weapons and customisations. If the game is good enough then I will keep playing. 

Luckily there is no exclusivity with fps games like there is in sports games so they haven't been able to get away with this. However Ultimate Team fps is the future and it will be popular because there's enough people who will lay down money and kid themselves that they are gaming gods.

50 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

But you don't have to use the crates, you can progress in a linear way in the same way as COD? 

You earn as you play. As your character levels up, your credits build up, then you spend the credits on the star cards/upgrades that you want to use? 

A lot of the blaster upgrades (in fact all of them I think), require in game achievements (150 kills for faster cooling, 250 for another attachment etc etc), it's exactly the same as other games isn't it? 

I still say the micro transaction issue has led to criticism of other things that are prevalent in other games too. It's a shame, I just hope it doesn't put the casual community off, because I've been really looking forward to getting balls deep in this game. 

I am personally just going off what I have seen and watched on sites like Twitch, but if there are other ways to get things then that's great though I'll have to take your word for it.

Unfortunately for EA I won't be buying or supporting the game so I can't look into the progression in person, but the microtransaction system has put all of gaming under the microscope and EA's greed has destroyed the reputation of this franchise.

I think this is where I will leave it. I'll let those that enjoy the game keep on enjoying it and I'll stop beating this dead horse. If anything good comes from this I hope that the backlash here forces all of gaming to clean up its act. 

Progression in a shooter shouldn't give you additional bonuses. For example, in Overwatch, you just get cosmetic stuff.

It's hard enough to pick up a game without those who are higher levels having better kit as well.

Can’t get to grips with the multiplayer on this. Just finding my characters get killed too quickly - I could land a few hits myself but would always seem to end up losing. Really bloody annoying. 

Completed campaign - somewhat disappointing overall.   

Edited by Tayls

11 hours ago, Tayls said:

Can’t get to grips with the multiplayer on this. Just finding my characters get killed too quickly - I could land a few hits myself but would always seem to end up losing. Really bloody annoying. 

Completed campaign - somewhat disappointing overall.   

Yeah i've found this too. Largely, it makes no sense. 

It's a shallow as **** game really where ability/skill doesn't really mean all that much.

But, have to say it, looks incredible. 

http://www.pcgamer.com/belgium-says-loot-boxes-are-gambling-wants-them-banned-in-europe/?utm_content=buffere78bc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Last week, Belgium's Gaming Commission announced that it had launched an investigation into whether the loot boxes available for purchase in games like Overwatch and Star Wars Battlefront 2 constitute a form of gambling. Today, VTM News reported that the ruling is in, and the answer is yes. 

• Like 2

Â