Summer Footy. Confederations Cup & Euro U-21

sne

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

not just clever play but you can watch a tackle 10 times or so and not be 100 percent convinced. Smolov the other day was clear example. pundits gave 1 each to a penalty or no penalty. While was contact after he slipped the video replay didnt give it

I personally hate video technology being used in football except for goalline technology which doesn't stop the flow of the game. You take away all the spontaneity. Momentum built up by teams can be lost, it slows the game down. rather have errors made by refs than that. Its great in cricket but cricket you have delays between each ball bowled in cricket anyway so it doesn't really matter if it adds 30 secs or a minute to that 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I personally hate video technology being used in football except for goalline technology which doesn't stop the flow of the game. You take away all the spontaneity. Momentum built up by teams can be lost, it slows the game down. rather have errors made by refs than that. Its great in cricket but cricket you have delays between each ball bowled in cricket anyway so it doesn't really matter if it adds 30 secs or a minute to that 

Yes, cricket is a slow game, Rugby and Tennis are very much stop-start games, football flows a lot more and VAR is not, as things stand, compatible with it. Goal line technology is perfectly fine but everything else is not so clear,  perhaps in the circumstance of extreme violent conduct where it's obvious. But penalty decisions, whether something should be a yellow or red etc really will not work because often these things aren't clear cut and will take multiple replays and time to work out.

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes, cricket is a slow game, Rugby and Tennis are very much stop-start games, football flows a lot more and VAR is not, as things stand, compatible with it. Goal line technology is perfectly fine but everything else is not so clear,  perhaps in the circumstance of extreme violent conduct where it's obvious. But penalty decisions, whether something should be a yellow or red etc really will not work because often these things aren't clear cut and will take multiple replays and time to work out.

I'm massively in favour of VAR for clearly incorrect penalty decisions (for or against) and clear red card offences if they've been missed by the official.  The rest should be left alone.

You don't get every decision queried in rugby/cricket - and why should you?  Human error is part of the game.  We only need to tidy up large injustices/violent play, really.  Can't remember which rugby game is was recently, but there was a clear forward pass and the commentator mentioned "you can't review on a forward pass not being called".  Spot on.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

I'm massively in favour of VAR for clearly incorrect penalty decisions (for or against) and clear red card offences if they've been missed by the official.  The rest should be left alone.

You don't get every decision queried in rugby/cricket - and why should you?  Human error is part of the game.  We only need to tidy up large injustices/violent play, really.  Can't remember which rugby game is was recently, but there was a clear forward pass and the commentator mentioned "you can't review on a forward pass not being called".  Spot on.

I agree in principle but it strikes me that a significant amount of penalties given these days aren't that clear and are pretty polarising in terms of whether they should be given or not. I'm not convinced VAR can solve this at the speed required to keep the game flowing. 

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I agree in principle but it strikes me that a significant amount of penalties given these days aren't that clear and are pretty polarising in terms of whether they should be given or not. I'm not convinced VAR can solve this at the speed required to keep the game flowing. 

You'd have maybe three angles for the people to review and make their decision.  If it's not clear either way, you go with the referees' initial decision - as is often the case with the ball hitting the stumps during LBW appeals in cricket.  It would take roughly 30 seconds an incident at most.

It doesn't need to be a complex review.  It's for where something is evidently, clearly missed/incorrect.

Edit:  An example (which I've used before) is Harry Kane going down in the box against Arsenal.  Penalty was given.  Personally, I think it's a dive.  Plenty of others think it was correctly a penalty.  In that instance, it's unclear so you'd go with referees' initial call.  Penalty given.

Edited by bobzy

i dont see how you differentiate between what is clear and what isn't

everything about it is still going to be blurred, should it be reviewed or not, can a decision be made quickly enough, is that decision then even right after the review

i dont think this is ironing out the cracks either, i dont think the principle of it works

• Like 2

I think it's so bad, it's like they're intentionally mucking it up so that the discussion is put to bed with a subtle 'told you so'.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

they have brought in coaches challenge to ice hockey where you can review goal decisions and they are horrible, a lot of goals are queried which takes few minutes to decide and  ruin momentum of game

2-2 with about a minute to go in the semi-final - UEFA have brought in a rule that says you can make a fourth substitution in extra time; that might be Jack Grealish's last chance to get a minute on the pitch in this tournament.

Â