FA Cup Final/Champions League Final

andykeenan

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Misserable old git time.... things that piss me off.

1. Poetry before games. When did this become mandatory?

2. Pre game shows. This isn't the wankbowl, we've got the actual game to entertain people

3. Kids, girlfriends, wives, neighbours... on the pitch. Get off the pitch

4. Photographers. In this digital age is it really necessary to have 13 thousand photographers on the pitch meaning you can't see the players

5. Changing f'ing kit. Get the trophy in the one you are wearing

6. Officials trying to lift the trophy rather than present it. It's not about you you egotistical clearings in the woods

7. Making the losing side hang around on the pitch for 2 hours while you assemble a giant stage out of jenga blocks

8. Celebrities on the pitch. Get them back to pit lane in Monaco

9. The Champions League in its entirety. It's a symbol of everything wrong with football

10. Oh and Ramos, the guys a dick

Can I please add:

11. Cristiano Ronaldo

"This is one of the best moments of my career but it seems I am able to say that every year," he said.

"People won't be able to criticise me because the numbers don't lie."

(Link: http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40147044)

Its just all about him, isn't it?  clearing in the woods. 

• Like 2

I think Ronaldo has just bagged the Ballon Dor already and 10 goals since the quarter finals of the Champions League. I cant remember a player dominating a knock out phase like that

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Ronaldo has just bagged the Ballon Dor already and 10 goals since the quarter finals of the Champions League. I cant remember a player dominating a knock out phase like that

Absolutely - he's been key in success across the board.

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Misserable old git time.... things that piss me off.

I appreciate the sentiment. When I watch any televised game at all these days I switch on at kick off time and switch off at the final whistle, avoiding as much informed pundit comment as I can in the middle.

But wasn't it always like this. Who. like me, is old enough to remember when BBC1 used to make an entire day out of the F.A. Cup Final. Special editions of programmes like It's A Knockout (oops, better brush that under the carpet), Meet the Players, Interviews with "celebrities" at Wembley, Community singing, and invariably the teams would be waiting around after half time for the band of the Grenadier Guards to get off the damned pitch.

This is just the 21st century version of the same old crap.

And I'm firmly in a minority. I like Ramos.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Pretty much his point, isn't it? People bang on about Juve's defence and nothing else. It's all you ever hear about that team. 

They had a great season - it's a shame Buffon didn't win the CL. They aren't the second best team in Europe on paper, so it's a good achievement to reach the final. 

I guess I interpreted his post to mean "I'm sick of hearing about it because it's not actually that good"

If not then fair enough.

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Nope, not on my list. I like him.

I totally understand why some don't, but I love his dedication, professionalism and single minded desire to succeed. I think he is one of the most professional players I've ever seen which is even more commendable given just how long he has been at the top.

I can't think of a single player that works harder to make the absolute most of their talent.

Yes he is self centred but I can't actually think of a single team mate past or present that has been critical of him.

He is 32 and his will to win puts players in their teens and twenties to shame. He is a relentless winner and to me that is more important than his ego. 

I can't think of another footballer who so consistently delivers when it matters the most. 

He is a staggering, remarkable and prodigious talent who I will watch ever time I have the chance.

Also does a fantastic amount for charity as well. £5m donated to the Nepal earthquake fund, Plus million pound plus donations to charities for Syrian children and the Brazillian football club Chapecoense. Also donated his €600k bonus for winning last seasons CL to various charities.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

Also does a fantastic amount for charity as well. £5m donated to the Nepal earthquake fund, Plus million pound plus donations to charities for Syrian children and the Brazillian football club Chapecoense. Also donated his €600k bonus for winning last seasons CL to various charities.

Absolutely.... meanwhile everyone's darling Messi is in court over tax fraud.

• Like 1

I've always preferred Ronaldo to Messi.

He might be a big fan of himself but every single champion at his level of their chosen sport is. You have to have a staggering self belief to achieve what he has. He's probably the greatest footballer of all time and he's so good to watch.

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Disagree, I don't enjoy watching him, he's a goal scoring machine, an absolute physical specimen but I prefer to watch messi with the ball at his feet

Same with me, Ronaldo is a goalscoring machine but on his day (which is most days), Messi is like poetry in motion. An absolute joy to watch.

• Like 1

almost definitely not but i never really enjoyed watching ronaldo with the ball in his prime, tons of pace, could beat his man 3 times, step overs, lollipops, cruyff turns, drag backs, he can do the lot and at times it felt like he was mugging people off and doing tricks for the sake of it...messi can send a bloke for a hot dog by wiggling his hips...he doesnt actually do many party tricks

if you gave me the choice id still take watching ronaldinho over either of them

They are the  all time greats along with Puskas, Di Stefano, Pele and Maradona imo.  Others like Cruyff, Platini and Zidane are just a little behind them. I have always thought Messi was the better of the two but Ronaldo keeps surprising us.  But Messi still has a few more years left to wow us so I think we have to wait until their careers are over before deciding who is best. 

Ronaldo is the master of getting the absolute most out of what he has. It's down to sheer dedication, hard work and fitness. 

He's not as naturally gifted as a lot of the greats like Messi, Maradona, Cruyff, etc, but he makes up for it with desire. 

Rooney and Ronaldo were contemporaries at Man Utd in the early days. Look how their careers have gone. Rooney with the right attitude could have achieved so much more. 

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ronaldo is the master of getting the absolute most out of what he has. It's down to sheer dedication, hard work and fitness. 

He's not as naturally gifted as a lot of the greats like Messi, Maradona, Cruyff, etc, but he makes up for it with desire. 

Rooney and Ronaldo were contemporaries at Man Utd in the early days. Look how their careers have gone. Rooney with the right attitude could have achieved so much more. 

Yes I gather Ronaldo trained so much harder than Rooney but I think injuries have taken its toll with rooney

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes I gather Ronaldo trained so much harder than Rooney but I think injuries have taken its toll with rooney

What like getting knocked out in his kitchen by Bardsley?

Rooney hasn't taken care of himself throughout his career, he has smoked and drank beer and done things like the above. Sure injuries have had an impact but I'd say that the way he has acted will have had an impact on the injuries he has received.

Ronaldo is simply a more dedicated, professional and responsible player than Rooney and it's in part why Ronaldo is winning CL's and Rooney is off the pace in a testimonial game.

Â