Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Not really something I know much about tbh, also needs to be in a different topic to this one. Probably worthy of a topic in it's own right.

Brickster?

• Haha 4

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

On a whole I'm noticing a huge downtick in the rabid pro-Putin stances from the usual conspiracy nuts that I saw earlier in the war. Has the Russian money run out for Galloway, STWC, AfD, Milne et al.?

The usual people shouting supportive words for Putin at Basingstoke station are back at their usual number - the Democrats are baby-blood drinking lizards and Trump will save us.

Interestingly I think I've noticed that these types tend to support whatever their media channels get paid to cover. At this point we're back to Trump as he's been on TV and made a fool of himself again.

5 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Poor old Simonyan looking worried now her and Solovyov are top of the hit list. Seems the bluster is waning and realisation is taking over that this isn't going end well. Also, intimating Russia were responsible for the Salisbury chemical attack. They also look like right clowns trying to portray Trump as smart. 

That headline text about "Do we have the capability to defend our territories?" Well the UK MoD today estimated that 97% of the Russian Army is in Ukraine. Leaving 3% in Russia. Its wide open for attack

2 hours ago, bickster said:

That headline text about "Do we have the capability to defend our territories?" Well the UK MoD today estimated that 97% of the Russian Army is in Ukraine. Leaving 3% in Russia. Its wide open for attack

If this is 97% of Russia's so called army, even a small fraction of NATO is\was better.

With Finland\Norway\Sweden\Denmark gathering their airforces in one task group and training together I'm fairly sure that this'd be enough to absolutely cream Russia conventionally. Add in Poland and it's a walkover.

8 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Poor old Simonyan looking worried now her and Solovyov are top of the hit list. Seems the bluster is waning and realisation is taking over that this isn't going end well. Also, intimating Russia were responsible for the Salisbury chemical attack. They also look like right clowns trying to portray Trump as smart. 

I have been to funerals that were happier than this crowd.

Seems like Ukraine has been using those Storm Shadows to good effect in the occupied territories over the past 24 hours, along with US decoy missiles to confuse air defences.

This morning Russian air defences reportedly shot down one of their own SU-34 fighter jets and two of their own helicopters.

Not that they’re spooked or anything.

Edit: might just be the one helicopter.

Edited by Panto_Villan

51 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Seems like Ukraine has been using those Storm Shadows to good effect in the occupied territories over the past 24 hours, along with US decoy missiles to confuse air defences.

This morning Russian air defences reportedly shot down one of their own SU-34 fighter jets and two of their own helicopters.

roflcopter.gif&ehk=KCR1vZZMIkHtoQ5GNvW40

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Helicopter mysteriously fell out of the sky over Crimea two days ago too. No hint of it being hit but Russia' may be short of crucial parts and lacking in maintenance

52 minutes ago, bickster said:

Helicopter mysteriously fell out of the sky over Crimea two days ago too. No hint of it being hit but Russia' may be short of crucial parts and lacking in maintenance

Was that the Mi-24? Was it mechanical failure? I missed that at the time.

Apparently the incident today was even worse than initially thought. People are now reporting a Su-35, a Su-34 and two Mi-8s were all shot down this morning by friendly fire.

I guess that’s one way to deal with a shortage of parts.

12 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Was that the Mi-24? Was it mechanical failure? I missed that at the time.

Apparently the incident today was even worse than initially thought. People are now reporting a Su-35, a Su-34 and two Mi-8s were all shot down this morning by friendly fire.

I guess that’s one way to deal with a shortage of parts.

I didn't know at the time of posting but yesterday's Crimean one was also reported as friendly fire.

Now there are two scenarios at play here...

Either that is genuinely 5 friendly fire incidents in 2 days or Ukraine have Special Ops forces/Partisans behind the lines with Manpads. 

The reason for them being called friendly fire incidents is the location of all 5 are considerably behind the front line out of range of Ukrainian AA and handheld manpads

If it is actually Ukraine forces its another ballsy move that will have the Russians bricking it. Just think about the consequences of the Russians knowing they aren't FF incidents

An interesting theory is emerging about today's sudden increase in crashed Russian planes. 

Someone has supplied Ukraine with missiles that actively seek out radar signals.  AAMRAMS.  These things just lock onto radar signals and follow them to the source.  

Russia hasn't experienced these in Ukraine and they have been flying around with active radars.  

Possible.  It's  more plausible than accidentally shooting down 4 (now rumoured 5) of your own planes/helicopters in one day. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

An interesting theory is emerging about today's sudden increase in crashed Russian planes. 

Someone has supplied Ukraine with missiles that actively seek out radar signals.  AAMRAMS.  These things just lock onto radar signals and follow them to the source.  

Russia hasn't experienced these in Ukraine and they have been flying around with active radars.  

Possible.  It's  more plausible than accidentally shooting down 4 (now rumoured 5) of your own planes/helicopters in one day. 

I thought radar-seekers were part of the second aid package from US, no? There were videos from Russian bloggers showing amrams hitting radars back last year, but these were air to ground, if they’ve received the aa versions it’s good for Ukraine.

Actually I remembered it because at the time I thought someone’d given Ukraine f-16s to be able to launch them, but they’ve retrofitted them onto their Polish MiGs.

7 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I thought radar-seekers were part of the second aid package from US, no? There were videos from Russian bloggers showing amrams hitting radars back last year, but these were air to ground, if they’ve received the aa versions it’s good for Ukraine.

Actually I remembered it because at the time I thought someone’d given Ukraine f-16s to be able to launch them, but they’ve retrofitted them onto their Polish MiGs.

I guess the ex-Polish MIGS may have been converted to some NATO weapons as part of Poland's integration into NATO.  

I doubt we have given them Storm Shadow cruise missiles to be fired from the back of a truck.  I guess the Brits and the Poles have developed a workaround. 

I was reading that Storm Shadow hits its target 97% of the time, even against targets defended by air defences. So.......what's going first?  The Crimea Bridge or the Black Sea Fleet? 

5 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Don't want to post it in the Eurovision thread but apparently Russia have attacked the city where the contestants for Ukraine were from.

Timed for when they were onstage…

Russians love their symbolism

Words removed

Â