Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

6 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Thanks for this Bickster. I've been looking for some sensible figures based on more than a guesswork for the last few weeks. What is interesting is that Russia have been losing nearly double the troops that Ukrainians have and now that figure is rising too. NO doubt the training, equipment and weapons are all playing a part in these figures. 

I love to know how many troops are now involved in theatre on each side. That's another figure that nobody seems to really know.  

That's the "trained" military. Expect those numbers to exponentially increase when the cannon fodder is thrown into the meat grinder.

Be a massive service to the world if someone could explain to the Russian people how many of their men are dying, in completely needless circumstances to satisfy the ego of a 70 year old midget.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Just now, bickster said:

It was fairly well known that the Russians started with 190,000 troops allocated for the invasion. If you add the upper limits together for the KIA and the Wounded for Russia, that adds up to roughly 190,000

What troops they have in theatre now is impossible to tell but they have lost a huge chunk of that initial, fully trained and partially battle experienced cohort but you still have to imagine they have in the region of 150,000 troops on the ground, its just than now, they really aren't very good

Yeah, I'm aware what they started with and considering the KIA and WIA taken out the fray I'm just wondering what reinforcements have been deployed on both sides. Maybe we are back to the start and Russians have really only replaced(with worse) what they've lost. We all know they aren't that good, but it would be interesting to know the numbers currently deployed. I would think Ukraine at least match them in numbers even if they have quite a large defence force not actively on frontlines.

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I would think Ukraine at least match them in numbers even if they have quite a large defence force not actively on frontlines.

I wouldn't be shocked to find out that Ukraine had the greater numbers now, in light of them cancelling the December draft because their armed forces have enough men

• Thanks 1

NATO - News: 14 NATO Allies and Finland agree to boost European air defence capabilities, 13-Oct.-2022

Defence Ministers from 14 NATO Allies* and Finland came together in Brussels on Thursday (13 October 2022) to sign a Letter of Intent for the development of a “European Sky Shield Initiative”. Spearheaded by Germany, the initiative aims to create a European air and missile defence system through the common acquisition of air defence equipment and missiles by European nations. This will strengthen NATO’s Integrated Air and Missile Defence.....

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

I wouldn't be shocked to find out that Ukraine had the greater numbers now, in light of them cancelling the December draft because their armed forces have enough men

That's what I was thinking. Surely, they must have at least 250k active personnel now. Even 100k defending that would still leave 150k to deal with the Russian frontlines. I wouldn't have thought they were far from them numbers, if not far more and I'm underestimating hugely?! 

17 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

That's the "trained" military. Expect those numbers to exponentially increase when the cannon fodder is thrown into the meat grinder.

Already happening. There was a report today that the first dead of the recently mobilised have been returned to Russia.

RUSSIA OFFICIALLY RECOGNIZED THE FIRST DEATHS OF MOBILIZED

Socportal

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

NATO - News: 14 NATO Allies and Finland agree to boost European air defence capabilities, 13-Oct.-2022

Defence Ministers from 14 NATO Allies* and Finland came together in Brussels on Thursday (13 October 2022) to sign a Letter of Intent for the development of a “European Sky Shield Initiative”. Spearheaded by Germany, the initiative aims to create a European air and missile defence system through the common acquisition of air defence equipment and missiles by European nations. This will strengthen NATO’s Integrated Air and Missile Defence.....

They need to develop something to counter Hypersonic missiles as part of that. 

And intercontinental ballistic missiles. Maybe the Starwars project will be rebooted. 

We can't have a nation like Russia or soon to be China or North Korea acting with impunity because they've got Nukes and everyone is too scared to do anything. 

17 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Wait until they're flying around with machine guns attached. Everyone will be shitting it then. 

You'd be amazed what they can/want to put on them, weapons wise

Didn't realise you could get covid from falling out of a window but hey ho....

Russian MP and ex-gas industry executive becomes latest energy official to die since Ukraine war (9breakingnews.com)

A Russian member of parliament has become the latest high-profile energy executive to die since Vladimir Putin launched his brutal war in Ukraine.

Nikolay Petrunin, 47, dubbed the ‘Gas prodigy’, reportedly died of complications from Covid after being in a coma for a month, although this has not been confirmed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

They need to develop something to counter Hypersonic missiles as part of that. 

And intercontinental ballistic missiles. Maybe the Starwars project will be rebooted. 

We can't have a nation like Russia or soon to be China or North Korea acting with impunity because they've got Nukes and everyone is too scared to do anything. 

Hypersonic and ICBMs have a ballistic trajectory, i.e. predictable. This means that in some ways they are easier to destroy in flight than 'smart' weapons or cruise missiles which can, and do, regularly change course for precisely this reason. 

Obviously not a piece of cake by any means, but everyone has been working on it since the second World War, and there are some good countermeasures available. 

Also worth noting that ICBMs/hypersonic missiles by their nature are crap at hitting moving targets. Same with 'small' targets like ships. 

So I guess the takeaway is that these things aren't new, there are countermeasures that work and there's no need to panic. 

Also, don't tell him your name, Pike. 

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Looks like the start of a new arms race. Hopefully this system will be on Ukrainian soil ASAP.

3 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Hypersonic and ICBMs have a ballistic trajectory, i.e. predictable. This means that in some ways they are easier to destroy in flight than 'smart' weapons or cruise missiles which can, and do, regularly change course for precisely this reason. 

Obviously not a piece of cake by any means, but everyone has been working on it since the second World War, and there are some good countermeasures available. 

Also worth noting that ICBMs/hypersonic missiles by their nature are crap at hitting moving targets. Same with 'small' targets like ships. 

So I guess the takeaway is that these things aren't new, there are countermeasures that work and there's no need to panic. 

Also, don't tell him your name, Pike. 

I was under the impression that Hypersonic were hard to hit because of the extreme speed and ICBM's because of their trajectory and speed when re-entering the atmosphere in their final stages. 

I didn't think there was anything that reliably can take these out. 

And I'm worried about nuclear warheads that need to be in the vicinity of a city, not hit a small moving target. 

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

Looks like the start of a new arms race. Hopefully this system will be on Ukrainian soil ASAP.

I think what they are suggesting is going to take years to develop. Anti missile technology has slowed in The West as there hasn't really been a clear and present danger.  I expect America have been working on it with North Korea developing ICBMs lately, maybe they're willing to share some tech. 

Modern ICBMs have multiple warheads mixed with dummies that split off after the boost stage.

Whilst Putin has his lovely palace and wealth he's not likely to be using them.

The Ukrainians really need to be wary of what the invaders might leave behind?

Â