• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

21 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Unfortunately for her I think it's because they've realised, she's prettier than them. Let's be honest, most Russians do actually look like orcs.  

Not the single fit blonde 25 year olds that are in my area looking for 42 year old bald men like me. And there are loads of them!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Can't they hang on for just a few more days lol

Here’s a lesson from WWII . The French spent ten years prior to the outbreak of war building the Maginot Line. It was impressive in its scale and impregnable. The Germans just went through Belgium instead.

Whatever that is won’t stop next doors dog let alone a full scale attack

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Here’s a lesson from WWII . The French spent ten years prior to the outbreak of war building the Maginot Line. It was impressive in its scale and impregnable. The Germans just went through Belgium instead.

Whatever that is won’t stop next doors dog let alone a full scale attack

I know. The Maginot line was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Similar to this.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

I know visibility isn't going to be great in a BMP but how the hell can you not see those mines?

WTF! I'd have been concerned about long term damage being in a blast like that, but something tells me them 2 won't have a clue what happened and will be fine until the next episode of dumb and dumber. 

5 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Let's see if Russia's plastic tank hedgehogs that are not even fully stacked in a line helps. Doubt it.

Seemed like things had gone quiet for a few days. How much longer do you think fighting can continue into winter?

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Seemed like things had gone quiet for a few days. How much longer do you think fighting can continue into winter?

Ukraine appear to have and are being supplied with, winter uniforms. Russia on the other hand can't find theirs

Now obviously there are other factors but it isn't winter that will stall things it's spring when the thaw comes. Much depends right now on whether the ground gets too soft before the winter comes. That only happens about 1 in 5 years in Ukraine apparently whereas the spring thaw and boggy conditions happens without fail.

Russian soldiers might welcome the odd missile in their direction to warm themselves by though

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bickster said:

I know visibility isn't going to be great in a BMP but how the hell can you not see those mines?

Sort of related, Surely the Russians must have been laying down loads of mines to stop or slow down the UA advance on their fall back positions they're now in?

15 minutes ago, blandy said:

Sort of related, Surely the Russians must have been laying down loads of mines to stop or slow down the UA advance on their fall back positions they're now in?

Tbh I don't know, the only talk of mines seems a long time ago and even then where they were used "inappropriately"

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

With light MRAPS and the various light AFV's that Ukraine have received I presume conditions will be even better than they are now for Ukraine as the ground freezes up. Ukraine doesn't seem to be plagued by the mud in the autumn like further into Russia, so hopefully they can keep pushing until the thaw comes late Feb or early March. By then I'm not sure how much of mainland Ukraine is going to still be in Russian control.

Russia could theoretically try to dig in, but just looking at how ineffective even deep trench systems are against excaliber-shells and gps guided MLRS rockets from NATO I don't think they'll be able to hold on to each fortification line for more than a few weeks at a time. At some point there won't be enough cannon fodder to freeze to death left in the Russian army.

The mud seems to only disadvantage tanks and very heavy equipment, which Ukraine have been using sparingly during their assaults. They're doing the typical lightning run that our guys would use in Iraq and Afghanistan which involves everything that can move fast and is light.

Winter will severely disadvantage soldiers who are stuck in trenches, while anyone who is attacking can rotate, get warm, eat and rest the people who will be manning trenches will have a horrid time. 

• Like 2

So Putin turns off the gas to Europe and is now suggesting Turkey is best placed to sell Russian gas to Europe.

Putin proposes new European gas hub in Turkey

Russia's President Putin suggests Turkey could be used as a hub to deliver Russian gas to Europe. 

In a meeting with Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, he said the route via Turkey was proving to be the most reliable way of getting gas to the EU. 

Gas supply through the Nord Stream pipeline from Russia to Germany has been disrupted since Russia invaded Ukraine, and completely halted after an explosion on the pipeline under the Baltic Sea, which is believed to have been a deliberate act of sabotage. 

On Wednesday, Putin said the volumes lost from the Nord Stream pipeline could be moved to the Black Sea region, making Turkey the largest hub for gas supplies to Europe.

link

Looks like somebody is missing the billions of euros and thinks getting gas indirectly from Russia, via Turkey will make people forget about all the war crimes.

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, blandy said:

This is the brilliance of NATO tactics developed to fight Russia. 

Ukraine are shredding Russia's logistics.  So what do you transport to the front?  Food?  Water?  Bullets? Tank Shells? Fuel?  Oil?  Winter Uniforms?  Wood?  Concrete blocks?  Tents?  

Mines are relatively easy to defeat if the troops behind them are cold, hungry and low on ammo.  

An estimate of losses/wounded on both sides, they seem to go into much more detail to obtain their figures than most who have been estimating previously.

More about figures in the thread but the TL:DR is Russia losing twice as many troops as Ukraine.

Those are the overall figures down thread there is an estimate for the last 20 days and the ratio now appears to be greater than 5:1 in Ukraine's favour, which paints a hugely different picture to that earlier in the war

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

An estimate of losses/wounded on both sides, they seem to go into much more detail to obtain their figures than most who have been estimating previously.

More about figures in the thread but the TL:DR is Russia losing twice as many troops as Ukraine.

Those are the overall figures down thread there is an estimate for the last 20 days and the ratio now appears to be greater than 5:1 in Ukraine's favour, which paints a hugely different picture to that earlier in the war

Thanks for this Bickster. I've been looking for some sensible figures based on more than a guesswork for the last few weeks. What is interesting is that Russia have been losing nearly double the troops that Ukrainians have and now that figure is rising too. NO doubt the training, equipment and weapons are all playing a part in these figures. 

I love to know how many troops are now involved in theatre on each side. That's another figure that nobody seems to really know.  

Edited by avfc1982am

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Thanks for this Bickster. I've been looking for some sensible figures based on more than a guesswork for the last few weeks. What is interesting is that Russia have been losing nearly double the troops that Ukrainians have and now that figure is rising too. NO doubt the training, equipment and weapons are all playing a part in these figures. 

I love to know how many troops are now involved in theatre on each side. That's another figure that nobody seems to really know.  

It was fairly well known that the Russians started with 190,000 troops allocated for the invasion. If you add the upper limits together for the KIA and the Wounded for Russia, that adds up to roughly 190,000

What troops they have in theatre now is impossible to tell but they have lost a huge chunk of that initial, fully trained and partially battle experienced cohort but you still have to imagine they have in the region of 150,000 troops on the ground, its just than now, they really aren't very good

Â