Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

9 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I thought the same.  But if you look on street view that building has some tall blocks right next to it.  I guess the picture is where the body was found.  

I wouldn't be sure the building in the photos are necessarily where she fell. It's probably just the same street as you say. The building itself doesn't look your typical upmarket Russian residence tbh

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

54 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I'm  not sure if the lack of effort to disguise these things is deliberate 

Of course it's deliberate, they want people to know they are executions. Keeps people in fear of Putin. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

The article did reference the 16th floor, which seems to have been removed. Also looking at the building there seem to be ten floors max.16 ft per floor .... I don't think so.

It's obviously the wrong building or a typo in the report but it doesn't really matter. The window suicides still have a 100% success rate.

12 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

The article did reference the 16th floor, which seems to have been removed. Also looking at the building there seem to be ten floors max.16 ft per floor .... I don't think so.

The, what’s the word? “irritating pedant” in me, asks whether some floors could be below ground level.

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

The, what’s the word? “irritating pedant” in me, asks whether some floors could be below ground level.

And how exactly would people get out?

A bit more thought before posting maybe.

The situation in Bakhmut is getting very complicated.

Wagner are trying to storm it but are also trying to encircle it.   If Bakhmut were at the centre of clock the Russians control 11 to 7.  Their attempt to encircle isn’t going well and they seemed happy to maintain their positions which gave them control over the main roads into Bakhmut.   They hoped to cut off supplies. 

But……those pesky Ukrainians don’t play by the rules and have set up supply routes going across fields and aren’t using the roads.   This has been surprisingly successful.  

But……the earth is hard and spring is coming.   That will turn the fields to mud.    

But…….the mud will also make is hard for Russia to advance and keep its own troops supplied.

Wagner loses have been immense and they are now being replaced by regular troops.  

But……..those troops are mainly infantry.   Tanks don’t function well in Urban Areas and Ukraine has ample anti-tank weapons to take out lighter infantry vehicles. 

But…….tanks do work well in open fields. 

So what will happen next?  

Are tanks on the way?  

Will the regular army try to complete the encirclement using infantry?

Will they risk a tank assault with the potential for massive loses on an already depleted force? 

Will the regular army try to storm the city?   

Will they just wait to see whether Ukraine can maintain the supply lines when the fields turn to mud?

Will Russia launch massive air attacks and risk their air force being as degraded as their army?     

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Stairs.  

…all stairs lead down to the ground floor, that’s a given.

If you’re already below the ground floor how do you propose to get down to a floor that’s above you?

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

And how exactly would people get out?

A bit more thought before posting maybe.

Via stairs or a lift?  It wouldn’t stop anyone falling from the top floor. I don’t understand the snark

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Via stairs or a lift?  It wouldn’t stop anyone falling from the top floor. I don’t understand the snark

This was something that was funny when it was in my head, but patently less funny for anyone else. 

What I'd really like to know is how many troops Ukraine now has and what is the call up capacity? Everyone is commenting and speculating on Russian numbers potentially being used but is there any approximate number for Ukrainians now active in the conflict? I appreciate this maybe sort of classified but there must be figures being banded about. 

15 hours ago, bickster said:

The FSB really does operate like the maffia at times

At times? They are the enforcement arm of a Mafia state.

The state apparatus exists for, and only operates in the interest of, those at the top.

I see no discernible difference between the Russian state and, say, Escobar's operation, or the Mexican cartels.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

This was something that was funny when it was in my head, but patently less funny for anyone else. 

You’ve let AI post for you, I reckon, while you’re multi-slacking, listening to Dub records and creating football programme cover ideas over a coffee.  Sussed. I’m grumpy because I can’t go get my f, c & g because the delivery van is well late.

Anyway, Russia. This woman was a Putin supporter wasn’t she, so perhaps not an “assisted” suicide.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â