Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

19 minutes ago, villa89 said:

That's not really a surprise. When people leave a war torn country they setup a new life and get jobs in a new country. Going back to a broken country full of rubble, corruption, internal fighting, political instability, etc. Isn't going to appeal much. Putin has destroyed Ukraine for at least the next 25 years, and probably longer when you consider the population loss. 

Yeah true, it makes sense.

I said something like “are they desperate to get back to their homes?” and he said not at all. They are happy in Poland and want to stay now.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Putin has destroyed Ukraine for at least the next 25 years, and probably longer when you consider the population loss. 

A bit of a side step but the 25 million people Russia lost in the 2nd world war can still be seen in the population figures even up to this day.

Every 20 or so years there is a noticeable dip and this will carry on for a long time yet. 

It is because all the children never born to the 25 M would for example now be having great great great grandchildren but all of those births wont ever happen (Or something like that).  

It's interesting as the tax,  population and overall loss cannot be accurately modelled but it continues to hurt Russia all these years along.  

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Yeah true, it makes sense.

I said something like “are they desperate to get back to their homes?” and he said not at all. They are happy in Poland and want to stay now.

I think the other reason it’s not surprising is that the Ukrainians that wanted to return already would have done so. Most of the country is fairly safe so there’s no reason to stay abroad if you’re not from an area near the frontlines - I think literally millions went back once it was clear the Russians weren’t going to overrun the whole country.

I’m very interested to see how the counter-offensive in Kherson goes. The ability to retake large amounts of territory from entrenched Russian forces is basically the only competency the Ukrainians haven’t yet demonstrated, so if they’re able to push the Russians back significantly it’ll be a major turning point in the war imo.

Not only will it be a catastrophic blow to Russian morale, it’ll prove to Western backers that the war won’t just degenerate into an endless stalemate. That would all but guarantee a decisive Ukrainian victory in the long term, because if the Western arms keep flowing and Ukrainian counterattacks are feasible then the Russians will eventually be pushed all the way back to Russia on every front.

I am not sure this is the counterattack to take large amounts of territory.  That's not the tactics that NATO has taught the Ukrainians.  

My guess is that it's:

-weak points in the line that need to be exploited before Russian reinforcements arrive. 

-an attempt to capture significant numbers of troops for a prisoner exchange. 

-a test of the Russian willingness to fight.

Whatever it is, let's hope it achieves more than the Ukrainians hope with less casualties than they expect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

-an attempt to capture significant numbers of troops for a prisoner exchange. 

Would Russia even want to swap troops?  They don’t cares about their own troops. 

And what about the million or so civilians shipped across the border from Ukraine to Russia?

49 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Would Russia even want to swap troops?  They don’t cares about their own troops. 

And what about the million or so civilians shipped across the border from Ukraine to Russia?

Russia and Ukraine have been trading captured soldiers since the start of the conflict. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not that anyone believes the Russian lies about not committing war crimes anymore, but this shrapnel device is a war crime.

Twitter and telegram is blowing up about Russians in Kherson either surrendering or swimming across the river. Ukraine's government has asked people not to post videos or locations of Ukrainian troops.

On 29/08/2022 at 15:15, Genie said:

I was chatting to one of the football dads the other day, he’s Polish but has been living in the UK for over 12 years.

He just got back from a 3 week trip home to see family.

He was saying that he was surprised that a lot of the Ukrainian people who are living in his old home town (I don’t know which town but he said it was about 100km from the Ukraine border) want to stay in Poland now. They’ve settled in and wouldn’t leave if they got the opportunity. 

Not really sure where i’m going with this anecdote but just surprised me a little too. He was saying that the standard of living in Poland is much higher than Ukraine before the war.

Well yes as Poland has been in the EU for about 15 years and has avoided getting into Russian's sphere of influence again. 

They are also having a population decline like most of the former eastern Europe, so having the Ukrainian refugees could be a long term benefit esp if most of them are  young or children.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Putin too scared to go to Gorbachev’s funeral. He really has ruined his owned life, as well as millions of others.

I am surprised nobody from within or outside of Russia has done him in yet.

I’m not sure he’s scared to go out. I think it’s more to do with blaming him (Gordy) for the loss of empire which Putin is now having to claw back at great cost.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not sure he’s scared to go out. I think it’s more to do with blaming him (Gordy) for the loss of empire which Putin is now having to claw back at great cost.

Maybe, but he did visit him in hospital to pay his respects there rather than in public.

If he really disliked him / his actions that much he’d have just stayed away completely I guess.

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Maybe, but he did visit him in hospital to pay his respects there rather than in public.

If he really disliked him / his actions that much he’d have just stayed away completely I guess.

I don’t know enough about how often Putin would have been seen out and about pre Ukraine War, so I can’t really add much.

But there is no state funeral.

If Putin is now stuck indoors, afraid for his own well being, hey ho.

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

Unless you know he was checking if he needed to throw him out of the window

Putin hated Gorbachev as did most Russians thats why he isn't getting a state funeral. In their eyes he gave away the empire

Â