• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Who knows? There would be Pros and Cons to doing it.

Might also be a case that they didn't actually do it, but now the Russians are scrambling trying to plug a security hole that's not there (perhaps introducing one that does exist)

If they did to it though, I would hope they did it weeks ago and have terabytes of footage 

3 minutes ago, og1874 said:

Might also be a case that they didn't actually do it, but now the Russians are scrambling trying to plug a security hole that's not there (perhaps introducing one that does exist)

If they did to it though, I would hope they did it weeks ago and have terabytes of footage 

I suspect that is the case

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

It's a genuinely dangerous game for a hacker to play. People have fallen off balconies for less.

I was just thinking that. You're not just going to get a knock on the door from a nice but firm Interpol detective if you're identified. It will be an umbrella spike in the leg or Polonium in your food. 

Some NATO hawk on tv seems to think that Ukraine could push Russia back to Crimea if they wanted now. While Russia regroups Ukraine can use the shorter distances and superior tech to try to cut off the battalions around Kherson.

IMO, I think Ukraine should prepare to dismantle the next convoy that’s coming down from Belgorod and up towards Krematorsk in the next few weeks. I doubt Russia has the ability to adapt.

45 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Some NATO hawk on tv seems to think that Ukraine could push Russia back to Crimea if they wanted now. While Russia regroups Ukraine can use the shorter distances and superior tech to try to cut off the battalions around Kherson.

IMO, I think Ukraine should prepare to dismantle the next convoy that’s coming down from Belgorod and up towards Krematorsk in the next few weeks. I doubt Russia has the ability to adapt.

The thing that really worries me is Russia does still have some big weapons in its arsenal that it hasn’t used yet (or has used sparingly) - chemical weapons, thermobaric bombs, tactical nukes, etc - and as the siege mentality hardens, you wonder what is holding them back

Given all the whataboutery doing the rounds at the moment…

I’m interested in any calm, reasoned perspectives on where Russia’s war crimes in Ukraine rank against the worst things the Western powers have done.

I’m not an apologist for US aggression , but my instinct is that you have to go quite a long way back (maybe Hiroshima & Nagasaki?) to find anything as bad as what the Russians are doing at the moment. (Edit: and yes I realise there was a different context to the atom bombs, Japan being an aggressor, etc. But massive civilian death count)

People saying Iraq / Afghanistan are wide of the mark IMO… yes, those were low points for the west (esp Iraq), but the civilian death counts were lower and certainly not systematic ethnic cleansing.

But open to hearing about genuine examples of similar horrors. Just trying to put this in perspective… how bad exactly is it? It feels like it’s exceptionally bad

Edited by KentVillan

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I’m interested in any calm, reasoned perspectives on where Russia’s war crimes in Ukraine rank against the worst things the Western powers have done.

I’m not an apologist for US aggression , but my instinct is that you have to go quite a long way back (maybe Hiroshima & Nagasaki?) to find anything as bad as what the Russians are doing at the moment.

People saying Iraq / Afghanistan are wide of the mark IMO… yes, those were low points for the west (esp Iraq), but the civilian death counts were lower and certainly not systematic ethnic cleansing.

But open to hearing about genuine examples of similar horrors. Just trying to put this in perspective… how bad exactly is it? It feels like it’s exceptionally bad

Yeah, unless there has been industrial scale covering up the atrocities in Iraq and Afghanistan seem to be the actions of a few rogue troops rather than a mass systemic thing. 

26 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I’m not an apologist for US aggression , but my instinct is that you have to go quite a long way back (maybe Hiroshima & Nagasaki?) to find anything as bad as what the Russians are doing at the moment. (Edit: and yes I realise there was a different context to the atom bombs, Japan being an aggressor, etc. But massive civilian death count)

If you class Israel as 'the west' then it's not far what they've been up to since they became a state. (Aware that this could lead things to go off topic, and there's a separate thread)

5 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

If you class Israel as 'the west' then it's not far what they've been up to since they became a state. (Aware that this could lead things to go off topic, and there's a separate thread)

Yes don't want to drag this off topic, but while I think Israel have committed genuine atrocities (with support from Western powers) and characters like Sharon and Netanyahu are very nasty pieces of work, I'm still not convinced it's the same scale of mass violence and ethnic cleansing. The amount of Ukrainian civilians who have died in the last 2 months surely eclipses any similar timeframe in the various conflicts Israel have been involved in?

44 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

My Lai?

45 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

An how bad does it really need to get?

Edited by foreveryoung

Â