Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I saw that flight data the other week , fairly sure the general conclusion from “ flight experts “ was that  those flights weren’t actually landing …
I couldn’t give any explanation though as to what exactly they were doing or why 

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I thought I'd read that too, but maybe that wasn't all that's needed to get a stable supply?

Yeah I guess the dead soldiers and blown up tanks might be poluting the water supply a bit

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I thought I'd read that too, but maybe that wasn't all that's needed to get a stable supply?

The serious answer

“The joint use of raid detachments and airborne troops in the Crimean direction ensured the exit of Russian troops to the city of Kherson,” defense ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said Thursday.

“This made it possible to unblock the North Crimean Canal and restore water supply to the Crimean peninsula.”

On Friday, Crimean Governor Sergey Aksyonov said he inspected the canal, adding that it could take at least two weeks for it to become operational.

“There are issues that will take some time to resolve,” he said on social media, adding that part of the canal bed in Ukraine had been overgrown with forests.

“The clean-up work will take about two weeks,” he added.

alarabiya.net

• Like 2

From looking at the reports from Oryx Russia has now lost a staggering 17 of their most advanced T-90A tank. Since it's induction in 1993 Russia has only built 1500 of these and sold many to India and China. Losing 17 (likely more that haven't been filmed or found on satellite), is most likely close to the available number that Russia has for their offensive operations. Many are stationed close to NATO countries and quite a few were destroyed in Syria.

Ukraine has captured 6 of them btw, meaning that they now have a more advanced tank in their arsenal than before the war.

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

From looking at the reports from Oryx Russia has now lost a staggering 17 of their most advanced T-90A tank. Since it's induction in 1993 Russia has only built 1500 of these and sold many to India and China. Losing 17 (likely more that haven't been filmed or found on satellite), is most likely close to the available number that Russia has for their offensive operations. Many are stationed close to NATO countries and quite a few were destroyed in Syria.

Ukraine has captured 6 of them btw, meaning that they now have a more advanced tank in their arsenal than before the war.

Ukraine is still losing kit and manpower daily, from a lower base than Russian forces, whose strategic culture accepts incredible loses as the cost of doing business - at least in the short term before the true numbers become widely known at home.

I think we all want the Ukrainians to win without going through a full occupation and insurgency, but they need to have a good day everyday and the role of chance in war suggests they won’t. The situation in the east where the majority of both armies are fighting is fluid and Ukraine is numerically overmatched. Things could easily go wrong very quickly.

So it seems Abramovic was poisoned whilst part of a negotiating team, is it assumed the Russians poisoned him as its a tactic they like to use? 
It’s interesting if so as I’d assume he’s representing them in these discussions. 

We seem to be nearing the bottom of the big bag of presidential excuses, but saying Biden can’t control himself because he’s Irish is pretty wild/funny/racist. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

So it seems Abramovic was poisoned whilst part of a negotiating team, is it assumed the Russians poisoned him as its a tactic they like to use? 
It’s interesting if so as I’d assume he’s representing them in these discussions. 

Collateral damage possibly? They were hardly careful with the nerve agent in Salisbury...

I think I read four Ukranian diplomats also displayed symptoms of an attack - so it's unlikely Roman was the main target, but who knows. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Awol said:

We seem to be nearing the bottom of the big bag of presidential excuses, but saying Biden can’t control himself because he’s Irish is pretty wild/funny/racist. 

I know it's probably partly your point but he's not Irish.  His great great grandfather was.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Collateral damage possibly? They were hardly careful with the nerve agent in Salisbury...

I think I read four Ukranian diplomats also displayed symptoms of an attack - so it's unlikely Roman was the main target, but who knows. 

Abramovic is in Turkey for the new round of talks so he’s either:

1) not holding a grudge

2) doesn’t have a choice

3) especially keen to get some of the sanctions against him lifted

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

Abramovic is in Turkey for the new round of talks so he’s either:

1) not holding a grudge

2) doesn’t have a choice

3) especially keen to get some of the sanctions against him lifted

4) is even more important to Putin than people without the necessary clearances realised. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Ukraine is still losing kit and manpower daily, from a lower base than Russian forces, whose strategic culture accepts incredible loses as the cost of doing business - at least in the short term before the true numbers become widely known at home.

I think we all want the Ukrainians to win without going through a full occupation and insurgency, but they need to have a good day everyday and the role of chance in war suggests they won’t. The situation in the east where the majority of both armies are fighting is fluid and Ukraine is numerically overmatched. Things could easily go wrong very quickly.

Agreed. Where do you think the line goes for Russia? 50.000 dead? 100.000? 1000 tanks?

One dead or injured soldiers likely has anywhere from 4-10 family members who won't be happy. How long can Putin keep it quiet?

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Thank god someone else can see the true position. Ukraine are losing this war and losing it heavily.  Russia have simply changed tactics.  They are now putting their troops in defensive positions and using airpower to take out strategic targets. 

Russia has lost troops and military equipment. They haven't lost any factories, bridges, hospitals, ports,  power stations or airports. 

Ukraine will win in the long run. But it might take a decade!  Russia simply does not have the military power to occupy a country the size of Ukraine, face off Nato deployments which surround them on all sides and deal with other conflicts that are bound to arise.  

35 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Thank god someone else can see the true position. Ukraine are losing this war and losing it heavily. 

Edit: abrupt bordering rude- sorry. 

I disagree and haven’t suggested Ukraine is losing, heavily or otherwise. They are walking a fine line and collapse could occur suddenly and without warning, but for now they’re resisting in pretty spectacular fashion. If that is to continue they will need luck, and a lot more support from the countries sheltering behind them in Europe. 

Edited by Awol

Â