Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Apparently the UK has been especially weak against Russia, but Russia is singling out the UK as being the leader of sanctions. Confusing. 

True, but we seem to, yet again be at the fore front of condemning them with more threats.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Apparently the UK has been especially weak against Russia, but Russia is singling out the UK as being the leader of sanctions. Confusing. 

The reality is that the dickheads who run us have been pretty good on the Ukraine situation. Maybe because Ben Wallace is in Defence, maybe because as Five Eyes members we get better intel than France and Germany, maybe because Boris has always wanted to be Churchill… who knows.

This isn’t referenced (he later claims multiple sources from multiple governments) but the logic makes sense - while the French and Germans pursued diplomacy for longer, the UK early on helped Ukraine prepare for the inevitable war.

Most likely this is because behind the scenes, UK still has loads of brilliant civil servants and advisers. But we should at least give the PM a modicum of credit for following their advice.

Obviously we should caveat this that our performance on the refugee crisis looks poor so far. That’s something that needs turning around ASAP - ideally by replacing Patel.

But the idea pushed by some that Boris was bought off by the Russians to soft pedal seems at odds with what has played out. He and the Tories clearly took the dirty money, and 100% deserve punishment for that… but it doesn’t seem to have affected their decisions in this specific instance.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think they see us as isolated outside the EU and being awash with their money feel that they can exert more influence over us. 

It's easier to target us than target America or France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc collectively. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Who gives a shit what Putin says. Seriously, who hasn't he threatened the last couple of weeks. He's a baby having tantrums because no one likes him. 

A baby having a tantrum waving a machete around. I'll ask you again when we are the first to be threatened with a big one.

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I really don't enjoy our tiny island more than once getting to the fore front of wars. Yes let's join in solidarity and support them. But to always be close to the main participator of letting the world know the hatred we should have for let's say, Iraq, Afghanistan, we are now having to live in fear of having random terrorists in our cities blowing our kids up. Now we are getting far too involved in this Russian conflict. Having it acknowledged by Putin is very very dangerous, an I just hope we, like Nato continue to not push or get involved in a no fly zone.

We need to understand we are not the force we used to be and will be fighting with water pistols without Nato intervention. Unfortunately then it'll be to late, 1 nuclear ballistic missile of his would wipe our little country out.

***k what Putin says...Honestly people put too much fear out there and put the little cretin on some pedestal. He's bogged down in Ukraine without even engaging Western troops whilst everyone in the west wets themselves with fear. If there is one thing this is showing us is that Russia are certainly not the invincible army many believe. 

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

A baby having a tantrum waving a machete around. I'll ask you again when we are the first to be threatened with a big one.

We aren't all wandering around wetting ourselves of what might never come to pass. If it does it will be too late to give a shit so why worry. 

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think they see us as isolated outside the EU and being awash with their money feel that they can exert more influence over us. 

It's easier to target us than target America or France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc collectively. 

I think they’re saying the same threats to everyone tbh, and we’re just getting sucked in by British exceptionalism. Germany were far more bought off than we were (look at Gerhard Schroder, for example).

Britain isn’t isolated inside NATO. Brexit is much less relevant to this than I think some people want it to be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

We aren't all wandering around wetting ourselves of what might never come to pass. If it does it will be too late to give a shit so why worry. 

You need to worry!  Put in that no Fly zone and I'll show you why. Let the big boys deal with it.

2 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We’d be a prime target to wipe off the map for their regime im sure. To send a message to the Americans as much as their hatred toward us anyway.

We are a easy target, we need to calm down a little that's all I'm saying. Let the big boys deal with it. What we gonna fight with, a couple of harrier jump jets a rusty old battle ship from the 60s.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

We are a easy target, we need to calm down a little that's all I'm saying. Let the big boys deal with it. What we gonna fight with, a couple of harrier jump jets a rusty old battle ship from the 60s.

5 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We’d be a prime target to wipe off the map for their regime im sure. To send a message to the Americans as much as their hatred toward us anyway.

This is why we have Trident. We might not have the conventional forces to single handedly take on Russia, but if it goes beyond saber rattling, they'll pay.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What we gonna fight with, a couple of harrier jump jets a rusty old battle ship from the 60s.

Two of the newest and biggest Aircraft Carriers in the world, equipped with the most advanced aircraft in the world (F-35B Lightning Stealth).  

1 minute ago, trekka said:

Two of the newest and biggest Aircraft Carriers in the world, equipped with the most advanced aircraft in the world (F-35B Lightning Stealth).  

Are they ready? I don't think we have any support for them, as in other ships.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I'm not shying away, I'm just saying lets not be at the forefront of the battle.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Are they ready?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Carrier_Strike_Group

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I'm not shying away, I'm just saying lets not be at the forefront of the battle.

I do agree with that but in my view that will never happen.  If we get involved militarily it will be because NATO has done so.  We will never be alone in military action against Russia if the time ever comes.   

(Anyway, I just felt the need to reply to your "rusty old battle ship" comment :).  I mean, I live in Portsmouth :D)

• Haha 1

Â