Microsoft Scorpio

Chindie

44 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

To me it just seems a strange time to release it. 4 years into the xbox one cycle, a Year after a redesigned slim & pretty much 50% price drop with slight power boost & 4k blu-ray playback it just seems a little unnecesary and i am talking as someone who has 2 xbox one S consoles & PS4 already hooked up to 4k TV's. I will more than likely buy one anyway (didn't bother with the PS4 pro as there didn't seem to be a great deal of difference although if that had a 4k blu-ray drive i may have) but can't help but think they would have been better off waiting 18 months or so and launching a proper new console with exclusives rather than just making stuff a bit shinier for those that want it.

I guess in 3 or 4 years they will release a new console, which will have games that run on Scorpio but not the original Xbox One/S. I think the days of having console generations are long gone, it will just be an updated console, which is backward compatible with your old games, play new games much better. I think the gaming industry will follow the same model as phones/tablet.

If MS are confident that this console can achieve 4K/ natively for games such as BF1 (or Battlefront 2) and Red Dead, then it will be a pretty big hit imo. 

I can only assume they must be confident with how they are branding this console. They could really win over the multi-platform gamers. 

Edited by PieFacE

There is a little bit of me that thinks that using all this extra power on 4K is a little bit of a waste though. Though, I am yet to experience any gaming on my 4K TV so that opinion is subject to change. However, upscaled 4K doesn't look any better than 1080P, IMO.

It would be interesting if every Scorpio game almost had two setting configurations, 1080P and maxed out settings, or 4K native and average settings.

If given that option, i'd probably go with the 1080p/max.

Edited by PieFacE

Looks very good based on the hardware but I'm not sure it's going to sell fantastically well. I can't really think of a reason you'd buy it over the PS4 Pro still, still yet to release any kiler exclusives (with the exception of FH3 but being a racer it doesn't have the same appeal) and the only games utilising it's power will be exclusives on launch.

So Albert Penello has been on NeoGaf and has stated that from all the engines/code they've tested so far, games which are currently running at 900p/1080p can run at 4K on Scorpio. Which is pretty good going. 

• 2 weeks later...

A spanish retailer may have prematurely revealed the release price of the console. The price has been removed from the website now but it was screencapped. Decent price if it is in fact true.

C9wZ4_UWsAEdmfl.jpg

29 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

£340?

That would be pretty incredible...

No doubt it will be $399, €399, £399....

£340 is what the original Xbox One launched for. Catering for 4 years of upgrades £340 for the new box would make sense from a marketing perspective and an easy sell on the E3 stage in a couple months. 

1 minute ago, Daweii said:

£340 is what the original Xbox One launched for. Catering for 4 years of upgrades £340 for the new box would make sense from a marketing perspective and an easy sell on the E3 stage in a couple months. 

Really? Pretty sure it was £440....

EDIT: Just checked, £429.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

So, less than 24 hours until the X is out. Anyone else bothered getting one?  I have a scorpio edition on the way and am looking forward to playing through some of my backlog from the past year or two in extra-shiny vision.

Already got the 4k patches for F1 2017, FF XV, Rise of the tomb raider, Fifa 18, Forza 7, Gears 4, madden 18, killer instinct, titanfall 2 & wolfenstein new colossus downloaded & ready to go :)

Edited by LakotaDakota

Yeah mine is coming tomorrow.

Looking forward to Halo5, Gears of War 4, FIFA 18, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Wolfenstein 2 all in 4k

Was looking forward to Titanfall 2 too but it seems the patch is bugged and it still performs better on the PS4 pro! Will wait til that gets fixed.

Got 4 Xbox One's now. Really need to get round to selling a couple :lol:

Edited by PieFacE

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah mine is coming tomorrow.

Looking forward to Halo5, Gears of War 4, FIFA 18, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Wolfenstein 2 all in 4k

Was looking forward to Titanfall 2 too but it seems the patch is bugged and it still performs better on the PS4 pro! Will wait til that gets fixed.

Got 4 Xbox One's now. Really need to get round to selling a couple :lol:

Give me one if you want

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Same here :/ Original day 1, elite, s & now this. also have 3 ps4's, 2 of which have never even been used.

Think i just like buying stuff...

Ha, that is crazy man. Sell some and get some VR or summat...unless you've already got a few of them knocking around too :lol:

Heh, never liked VR/3D so won't be going down that route. Will grab a hololens or whatever it ends up as at some point though.

Seems i will have to wait a bit longer for my scorpio too as amazon are a bunch of useless c**ts and have said that they will not be delivering it until Wednesday, despite ordering it on Aug 20th and being a prime customer. Lots of others let down by amazon too, some scheduled for Thursday & others as late as the 13th.

If my local Game has one spare i'll just grab one from there tomorrow and amazon can stick it up their arse along with their prime subscription which has just been cancelled. Looks like i need a new online place to order from :mellow:

Â