Microsoft Scorpio

Chindie

Yeah i'd say HDR is more of a bigger change than 4k.

The jump from HD to UHD isn't anywhere near as big as SD to HD.

But HDR makes a big difference and really makes some things look awesome.

All in all, 4K & HDR is nice, but not really worth the upgrade unless you like new and shiny things.

Personally i'd rather they put all the additional GPU/CPU power into making the games look incredible at 1080p. But that's just me. 

Edited by PieFacE

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I think a copy of Planet Earth 2 and something Tu play it on might be worthwhile...

Supposedly the big leap is in the HDR rather than the resolution (unless you sit extremely close to a massive screen).

I'm yet to jump on board with 4k but will be shortly. Not sure it'll be accompanied by a Xbox One X though. Bit too pricey, exclusives aren't wide enough to grab me and I could probably live with playing third party stuff at slightly worse quality.

The one thing tempering that is I will be buying a UHD Blu-ray player. But even then the One S has a spotty reputation as a player.

The 4k documentary stuff on Netflix is still a clear jump from anything i saw on bluray, god only knows what a native 4k planet earth would look like.

Anyway i'll leave it there for now as we are going off-topic slightly. 

the 4k blu-rays are the prone to the same issues as the standard dvd/blu-rays really. Some get the proper treatment and look incredible, others are lazy and are just bad transfers. Many of the 4k discs seems to be 2k masters upscaled to 4k which doesn't help when comparing to things like amazon/netflix streams.

I only have about 30 uhd discs but the ones that stand out are

planet earth, Amazing Spiderman 2, Ghost in the shell (this is a 2k master), passengers (this is probably the best other than planet earth), pacific rim (2k but looks incredible in places), Chappie & hacksaw ridge (again 2k). Blake Lively also looks rather nice in The Shallows but the shark looks a bit cack.

Have a few more on the way including Blade Runner final cut (remastered yet again in 4k) & the iron man trilogy (German release only and not very well done apparently) but i not really in a rush to replace everything with 4k discs

44 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Anyone with a 4k tv is a mug at the moment.  There's hardly anything which can output that.  and I bet most of the people with 4k tv's have got £3 HDMI's in the back of them :lol: 

Wasted money really. 

Depends how you look at it really.

I went from a 10 year old 720p Sony Bravia to a 4k Panasonic, i really couldnt wait any more time to upgrade and im now future proofed for the next 5 years - is that really a bad decision?

The 4k stuff on netflix is good enough and 1080p rips look fantastic.

25 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Depends how you look at it really.

I went from a 10 year old 720p Sony Bravia to a 4k Panasonic, i really couldnt wait any more time to upgrade and im now future proofed for the next 5 years - is that really a bad decision?

The 4k stuff on netflix is good enough and 1080p rips look fantastic.

Well it depends really.  If you've gone all out, got a decent 4k, got decent 4k cables, got decent players and all the other sutff to go with then, then yea - you've had a hefty upgrade (and I imagine spend a few grand doing so). 

But if you've done all that, then the xbox still isn't really giving you true 4k is it? 

You'd be better off doing it off the back of great PC/multimedia system than the people buying the new xbox for 4k capabilities, but won't get it on their bad set ups. 

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Anyone with a 4k tv is a mug at the moment.  There's hardly anything which can output that.  and I bet most of the people with 4k tv's have got £3 HDMI's in the back of them :lol: 

Wasted money really. 

I watch loads of 4k content. Amazon, Netflix, Blu-Rays, Youtube. Speak for yourself :P

As for HDMI cables, you only need HDMI 1.4 I think, they can cost £3. It doesn't matter really. You don't need some £15 special HDMI cable at all. It's all a swizz. 

(Plus the Xbox comes with a HDMI 2.1 cable I think, might be 2.0, can't remember)

Edited by PieFacE

46 minutes ago, hogso said:

Seeing as the Xbox One X is currently the only place to play Super Lucky's Tale in Native 4K at 60 FPS, surely it's worth every penny?

I can buy it right now on PC for £19.99, plus if the game has an uncapped frame rate get even higher than 4K 60FPS.

1080p TV is fine for me, but 1080p Gaming is highly noticeable, especially on a monitor. I wouldn't say 4k TVs are for mugs, everything I use on my TV has native 4k uses at some point whether it's games, PC, Netflix or Sky (even though it's only 1 channel, I'm sure they will add a lot more soon. 

My missus still watches SD channels when an HD one is available, I'm not sure how she can watch that shit. 

15 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I can buy it right now on PC for £19.99, plus if the game has an uncapped frame rate get even higher than 4K 60FPS.

PC? It's better in VR anyway which is free on the Rift :P

Edit sorry I was meant to quote Hogso, not you. 

Edited by villarule123

The one thing that seems to go unnoticed i guess amongst the 4k assets & shiny new graphics for current games is just what this machine does/can do to backwards compatible games.

Now i know not everyone plays old games but people buy their first console every single day and the option to play through some of the older games in series that are still running strong (original assassins creed, fallout 3, halo 3, oblivion etc) is appealing to many who may have missed them first time round.

Some of the 10 year old 360 games running on it show a vast improvement in both graphics & framerate. These aren't HD remasters, this is just being done by the machine/emulator running the game. It just helps bring them upto date a little with a bit of extra sparkle.

Helps if you watch the vids on a 4k screen but you should be able to see the difference clearly enough on any HD screen.

Couple more vids in spoiler tag

Edited by LakotaDakota

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone wants some gold & ea access for their new xbox

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Months-Xbox-Live-Gold-Access/dp/B076QDBL4H

Amazon Black Friday - 12 months xbox live + 12 months EA Access for £45

Full list of the 54 Games currently included with EA Access

With the free games with gold games you get every month that is over 100 games for £45

Edited by LakotaDakota

Â