Control

Xann

10 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

We'd like to gather some data about the response to the illegal data gathering we've been engaged in for some time and spend some of our time not explaining why we're paying for the privilege of training some company's A.I. that you'll have to pay through the teeth to access when it's refined while at the same time wondering what perception management we should aim at the yoof.

Nothing to fear if you’re not a criminal.

We’ve just noticed that a hard core of Cardiff yoof cycle past very quickly with those smiley skeleton neckerchiefs on, so we wanted to offer them the opportunity to pop in and have a bloody good look down the lense.

It’s a tricky one. On the one hand, I quite like the idea of being kept safe from stabby people, on the other hand, I don’t want to be on a data base that keeps me out of John Lewis because I once joined an independence march.

• 4 months later...

They sold the nation a con. The country's Donald Ducked.

Where's the comeback?

Where are voices of the people that were fooled into voting for this smear of shit of a man and his traitor's Brexit, after a concerted campaign of misdirection?

Why aren't people livid with the media that we now know supported a corrupt administration, and a fantasy Brexit?

Stupid and complacent isn't a great look.

th-522056178.jpg

th-4218796758.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

th-3722350396.jpg

th-1686877846.jpg

th-1371674602.jpg

• Like 1

Fears UK not ready for deepfake general election

Artificial Intelligence (AI) has already been used to disrupt elections around the world - and there are fears among senior politicians and the security services that the UK will be next.

Former Justice Secretary Sir Robert Buckland is urging the government to do more to tackle what he sees as a "clear and present danger" to UK democracy.

The Conservative MP, who now chairs the Northern Ireland select committee, is particularly concerned about the rise of deepfakes - realistic audio and video clips of politicians appearing to say things they did not say.

The threat posed to democracy by AI-generated misinformation does not belong to some dystopian vision of the future, he argues.

"The future is here. It's happening"...

...What is new, as the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) - an arm of GCHQ - pointed out in its annual report, is the easy availability of powerful, generative AI tools, which can be used to create convincing fakes.

The boom in large language models, such as ChatGPT, and text-to-speech, or text-to-video, software, is seen by some as a gift to those bent on disrupting elections, from bedroom-based mischief makers to malicious state actors.

"Large language models will almost certainly be used to generate fabricated content, AI-created hyper-realistic bots will make the spread of disinformation easier and the manipulation of media for use in deepfake campaigns will likely become more advanced," warns the NCSC in its report.

The Labour Party got a taste of what might be to come during its party conference in September, when an audio clip popped up on social media of leader Sir Keir Starmer apparently verbally abusing aides. The clip was quickly denounced as a fake, but was viewed 1.5 million times.

In November, a fake audio clip of London Mayor Sadiq Khan calling for Armistice Day to be re-scheduled due to a pro-Palestinian march circulated widely on social media.

Mr Khan warned that deepfakes were a "slippery slope" for democracy if not properly regulated after the Met Police decided no offence had been committed.

The nightmare scenario, for Sir Robert Buckland and others worried about this issue, is a deepfake clip of a party leader emerging just before polling day in a closely-fought election.

This is exactly what happened in Slovakia's general election in September, when a fake audio clip emerged of Michal Šimečka, the leader of the liberal Progressive Slovakia party, apparently discussing how to rig the election.

Mr Šimečka went on to lose the election to the populist pro-Moscow Smer-SSD party.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67518511

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The US House of Representatives has approved a landmark bill that could see TikTok banned in America.

The measure would give the social media giant's parent company, ByteDance, six months to sell its controlling stake, or the app will be removed in the US.

While the House bill passed by 352-65 in a bipartisan vote, it would still need to pass the Senate and be signed by the US president to become law.

Lawmakers have long held concerns about China's influence over TikTok.

ByteDance is based in Beijing and is subject to a national security law requiring it to share data with Chinese officials.

Mike Gallagher, a Wisconsin Republican who co-authored the bill, said the US could not "take the risk of having a dominant news platform in America controlled or owned by a company that is beholden to the Chinese Communist Party".

BBC

There's something not mentioned in all that above. It's a surveillance app, disguised as a quirky short video app. The lengths it goes to disguise how much data it siphons is astounding. 

• Like 2

It's not that the App syphons data - they all do - it's that it syphons it to the wrong people. Global control of data is important to the US. Can't have other nations doing the same things now can we?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's not that the App syphons data - they all do - it's that it syphons it to the wrong people. Global control of data is important to the US. Can't have other nations doing the same things now can we?

Of course they all do, but you can see what data they're siphoning. Except Tiktok. 

23 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Of course they all do, but you can see what data they're siphoning. Except Tiktok. 

Can you? How?

• Like 1

With all this data and intel they hold on me, why do Screwfix send me adverts for floor adhesive when I come back from buying floor adhesive in Screwfix?

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

With all this data and intel they hold on me, why do Screwfix send me adverts for floor adhesive when I come back from buying floor adhesive in Screwfix?

Because it's only got 2 stars on their reviews, you'll probably want some more

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Glue sniffing is addictive.  Gonna need to re supply, yeah?  How else you gonna have a night on the tiles?

But it is something that bugs me, the way these internet thingies track our every move.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, blandy said:

Glue sniffing is addictive.  Gonna need to re supply, yeah?  How else you gonna have a night on the tiles?

But it is something that bugs me, the way these internet thingies track our every move.

I use google maps and I get the little report at the end of every month, a map with dots on to show where I’ve been. When delving further into the graphic, it can tell  not just that my phone went to Worcester, but the route it took, the speed it travelled and the shops and restaurants it went in etc..

So it’s an interesting toy, but it is a lot of info.. Not always super accurate either, there will regularly be a shop that I didn’t actually go in, I can only presumed I dawdled right outside or stared through the window.

Not that I’m doing anything nefarious, but my job sometimes requires me to be without a phone, and on a weekend, to the shock of the kids, I’ll leave the house without it. Just to stay half a step ahead of the man. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Three days ago I was sitting outside reading VT I had a few other tabs open. It started spitting. I went inside and got a tissue and gave the screen a good drying. In doing so I nearly bought a binatone dual landline. Now I can't bloody get rid of all the binatone products ads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

... the little report at the end of every month, a map with dots on to show where I’ve been. When delving further into the graphic, it can tell  not just that my phone went to Worcester, but the route it took, the speed it travelled and the shops and restaurants it went in etc..

So it’s an interesting toy, but it is a lot of info.. Not always super accurate either, there will regularly be a shop that I didn’t actually go in, I can only presumed I dawdled right outside or stared through the window.

Not that I’m doing anything nefarious, but my job sometimes requires me to be without a phone, and on a weekend, to the shock of the kids, I’ll leave the house without it. Just to stay half a step ahead of the man. 

The report, exactly. I mean what use is it to you, or me for mine?  I think it has the appearance of value, "ooh, look, that's clever", but no actual value to us. It has value to google though, in 2 ways. It keeps "us" using their map service and other thingamibobs and so they get revenue from ads and data on how people behave and where they go and likely what they do.

If you're half a step ahead of the man, he is still following you, and probably invading your personal space. He's a weirdo.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Can you? How?

On android you can see what permissions an app asks for in theory. I read a thread a while ago on reddit about Tiktok and its devious arseholery. I'll see if I can dig it up. 

8 minutes ago, Anthony said:

On android you can see what permissions an app asks for in theory. I read a thread a while ago on reddit about Tiktok and its devious arseholery. I'll see if I can dig it up. 

Are they much different to the Facebook app permissions? The app went from my phone as soon as it asked for microphone access at any time. and that was years ago. I returned a Sony phone because Facebook was preinstalled and couldn't be removed.

It's the same argument as "Huawai 5G is bad" because the USA needs you to use Qualcomm so that it can access the traffic.

It wouldn't be so bad, but if Trump wins I think I'd rather be spied on by China.

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

It wouldn't be so bad, but if Trump wins I think I'd rather be spied on by China.

That’s pretty much where I’m at, if I’m going to be spied on, I want it to be a completely disinterested government official, not some orange guy using tweezers to masturbate.

Â