Control

Xann

On 13/10/2019 at 06:40, peterms said:

"The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it."

On 11/06/2020 at 04:27, blandy said:

We don't comment on ongoing matters of surveillance.

Yes we do, depending on how you define 'ongoing'.

An intelligence agency or military affiliate will, half a century after the fact, divulge that things were a certain way back then and we did the best we could to manage.

Then we pinky promise that programs like MK-ULTRA ceased in the 60's whilst proposing the biggest threat to society in 2022 will be 'empowered individuals'.

The need for an agenda to 'manage' those empowered individuals is mandatory as it is a threat to life as we know it. Good gracious me.

Edited by A'Villan

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

...half a century after the fact, divulge that things were a certain way back then and we did the best we could to manage...

Well in 50 years I’ll apologise to @Xann then 😇

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
20 minutes ago, Xann said:

Synthetic Aperture Radar satellite sees through buildings

Hmmm. I’m highly sceptical. I suspect extreme misreporting. Not worked on Radar for a long time, admittedly, but when I did you could get detailed imagery sure - quite detailed 2D outlines and shapes etc, rather than just a dot on a screen, using a moving SAR. Not sure how the properties of EM waves / pulses could have changed in the interim. I suspect it’s more about multiple passes from different angles and composite imagery.

Low frequencies, way below radar frequencies, penetrate structures, but can’t render detail or definition, higher frequencies just don’t penetrate unless you’ve got  implausible antenna power (which would require implausible electrical power and implausible cooling, and thus implausible weight etc.).

probably one for the boring or tech geek threads.

I’ll have read tomorrow if it rains.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Xann said:

A new Synthetic Aperture Radar satellite sees through buildings.

external-content.duckduckgo-5.jpg.18d744e617ac6767e48d02ea9f27d2e0.jpg

This is Tokyo.

More satellites = Better images.

After a good five minutes of zoomed in searching, I saw precisely zero naked ladies in those buildings. 

Seems a pointless invention tbh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Drone Swarms Are Getting Too Fast For Humans To Fight, U.S. General Warns

General John Murray, head of Army Futures Command, told a webinar audience at the Center for Strategic & International Studies that humans may not be able to fight swarms of enemy drones, and that the rules governing human control over artificial intelligence might need to be relaxed.

"When you are defending against a drone swarm, a human may be required to make that first decision, but I am just not sure any human can keep up," said Murray. "How much human involvement do you actually need when you are [making] nonlethal decisions from a human standpoint?"

This indicates a new interpretation of the Pentagon’s rules on the use of autonomous weapons. These require meaningful human control over any lethal system, though that may be in a supervisory role rather than direct control – termed ‘human-on-the-loop’ rather than ‘human-in-the-loop.’  

Murray said that Pentagon leaders need to lead a discussion on how much human control of AI is needed to be safe but still effective, especially in the context of countering new threats such as drone swarms. Such swarms are likely to synchronize their attacks so the assault comes in all directions at once, with the aim over overwhelming air defenses. Military swarms of a few hundred drones have already been demonstrated, in future we are likely to see swarms of thousands, or more. One U.S. Navy project envisages having to counter up to a million drones at once.

Forbes

1 hour ago, Xann said:

It's a complete non-story. There is genuinely "nothing to see here" in that story. I mean people will read it and jump to entirely illogical or pre-conditioned things based on some, ahem, "triggers" but it's not even a real story. It might get reads because of what people infer, or because of the mention of drones or "killer Robots" but the actual bit about human intervention and lethal intervention is not a story at all to my reading.

Defensive systems to bring down incoming threats are and have been designed and moded to automatically perform that task once authorised ("turned on" by a human) for ages. Thnk of the Patriot system that was provided in the Gulf War. Or Shipborne anti- missile systems, or aircraft Defensive aid counter-measures and so on.

There's no human in an attacking drone swarm and no lethality in bringing a drone down "autonomously"  - itself an emotive phrase.

I guess the General is just very simply telling the audience people the obvious, but unpondered, in the webinar.

Other opinions are available.

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

...the actual bit about human intervention and lethal intervention is not a story at all to my reading.

Sure, though this thread isn't about war, it's about methods of influencing and controlling domestic populations.

In this case it's tech that will be the successors to horse charges, water cannons and tear gas.

6 minutes ago, Xann said:

Sure, though this thread isn't about war, it's about methods of influencing and controlling domestic populations.

In this case it's tech that will be the successors to horse charges, water cannons and tear gas.

Yeah. I wondered why you'd posted it in this thread tbh!

I think China has come up with or actually used drone swarms to disperse protestors. But the stuff the article was mostly about seemed about military defence, more than beasting American hippies, scruffs and MAGA loons 😛

On 18/12/2020 at 21:29, It's Your Round said:

After a good five minutes of zoomed in searching, I saw precisely zero naked ladies in those buildings. 

Seems a pointless invention tbh. 

Not like Grazer 1 in Under Seige 2 

• 2 years later...
On 03/08/2023 at 17:12, DewiMckay said:

Not an insider - I have spoken the account manager, as this is so nacsent they are on a learning curve. I'm sanguine and don't have any regrets. 

Welcome to the Control thread where we discuss methods of suggestion, coercion and surveillance, amongst other things?

Any insights from yourself would be amazing! :) 

20 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

We'd like to gather some data about the response to the illegal data gathering we've been engaged in for some time and spend some of our time not explaining why we're paying for the privilege of training some company's A.I. that you'll have to pay through the teeth to access when it's refined while at the same time wondering what perception management we should aim at the yoof.

• Like 1

Â