Control

Xann

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I use google maps and I get the little report at the end of every month, a map with dots on to show where I’ve been. When delving further into the graphic, it can tell  not just that my phone went to Worcester, but the route it took, the speed it travelled and the shops and restaurants it went in etc..

Same. Apparently on one day last month I spent an hour cycling two miles. 

I haven't been on a bicycle for 30 years. 

Screenshot_2024-03-15-17-02-25-42_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

One of the weird things is the proximity data stuff - so they track your phone against the phones that your phone is regularly near, which means that they know when it's your partners birthday and can tailor adverts to you for the stuff she's been looking at. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

One of the weird things is the proximity data stuff - so they track your phone against the phones that your phone is regularly near, which means that they know when it's your partners birthday and can tailor adverts to you for the stuff she's been looking at. 

That would certainly explain why I've started receiving adverts for impotence help. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Who is "they" in this sentence? Phone networks can only trace you if you are both on the same network.. Apple claim that they are privacy first. Do you mean apps? If so, there's a simple solution....

You can turn all proximity stuff on Android, and I assume on iOS. On Android, apps have to specifically ask for permission to interact with local devices.

• Like 1

Â