Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

Except Sigurdsson a lot of the players would struggle to get game time in the top flight. Gunnarsson the Iceland captain was woeful for Cardiff, the winger at Burnley is OK but nothing more

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They are though. After the top 10 teams the standard drops massively. You can never compare international football to Premier League football.  

Ok, but when you are in midfield position vs france you are playing against premier league players

4 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

Ok, but when you are in midfield position vs france you are playing against premier league players

France won that game 5-2 and could have won by a lot more

This thread has gone the way of Gary Gardner, Barry Bannan and Carles Gil.

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Thor is painfully average even at Championship level, good for an occasional goal that's it. Doesn't make up for his all round turgid performances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Except Sigurdsson a lot of the players would struggle to get game time in the top flight. Gunnarsson the Iceland captain was woeful for Cardiff, the winger at Burnley is OK but nothing more

Gunnarsson was one of the best player for cardiff last season and with him on the pitch they got most of their points (injured for few mounths)

Guðmundsson was injured most of the last season but season before he was number 4 overall in assists in premier league for whole season

Sigurdsson is one of 3 best amc in premier league 

Just now, Jonsi77 said:

Last november in Paris 2-2 Bjarnason on the scoresheet

in a friendly.

Ireland beat Germany in a qualifier few years back and nobody suggested Glenn Whelan or Shane Long would get into the Bayern Munich team because of it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

There is a HUGE difference in playing for Iceland vs. France than playing for Villa against Ipswich. 

Bjarnason could've been a useful player had Steve Bruce still been here. He's a solid player when he's supposed to chase the opposition and be helpful as a counter attacker. Lars Lagerback had a great TEAM at the 2016 EURO. Not a lot of individuals, but a good and broad understanding amongst the players of what each and everyone was supposed to do and why. They knew they weren't going to the ball for 70% of time and that they had to rely on being efficient and taking advantage of opponents mistake. They were not a great bunch of players, but they were a great TEAM.

You keep saying he played against opponents of the highest quality like it's a stamp of approval. Well, Frederik Schram was a part of that 2016 EURO squad too and he's still playing in the second division here in Denmark. Rurik Gislason played at the World Cup last year and he's currently making more off of his Instagram account than his salary in Germany. 

Also, did you type this "Played in final of world cup 2018 where he took Lionel Messi and bossed him in 1-1 draw in Iceland vs Argentina."  with a straight face?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:28, NPDK said:

There is a HUGE difference in playing for Iceland vs. France than playing for Villa against Ipswich. 

Bjarnason could've been a useful player had Steve Bruce still been here. He's a solid player when he's supposed to chase the opposition and be helpful as a counter attacker. Lars Lagerback had a great TEAM at the 2016 EURO. Not a lot of individuals, but a good and broad understanding amongst the players of what each and everyone was supposed to do and why. They knew they weren't going to the ball for 70% of time and that they had to rely on being efficient and taking advantage of opponents mistake. They were not a great bunch of players, but they were a great TEAM.

You keep saying he played against opponents of the highest quality like it's a stamp of approval. Well, Frederik Schram was a part of that 2016 EURO squad too and he's still playing in the second division here in Denmark. Rurik Gislason played at the World Cup last year and he's currently making more off of his Instagram account than his salary in Germany. 

Also, did you type this "Played in final of world cup 2018 where he took Lionel Messi and bossed him in 1-1 draw in Iceland vs Argentina."  with a straight face?

I would never compare or give similar quality stamp to Gíslason (who is squad player in the team - tough he was best player in danish league with fc kobenh. at least highest paid ) and Frederik Schram who was 3 keeper in last world cup beacause of an injury and have play in 4 or 5 friendly matches.

Comparing these player with keyplayer like Bjarnason is not realistic. Bjarnason playes 90 minutes in almost every game. Ofcourse its stamp of quality if you are able to play keyrole in two biggest football tournements in the world and play well and in addition score versus France and Portugal . Are you trying to tell me something else?

Bossing thats not the right word but he won most of their battles in this match and kept him down. And if you can keep him down, than i assume you can keep almost everyone down :)

At least Villa supporters where happy https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lionel-messi-birkir-bjarnason-world-14793659

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:05, Vive_La_Villa said:

That is true. 

I take it you’re Icelandic?

I dont understand why it does matter if im from Iceland or England. I was talking about facts when i was talking about France national team midfielders who all plays in Premiership. I have been watching Villa for 2,5 years now and i like this club like many others English, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic and Norwegian, this is huge club with great history. In this case statistics speaks for itself and showes you that he is only player in this squad who have experience and have prove himself versus highest quality player is Bjarnason.  Im not saying that he should be starter, im saying that he could be very good squad player, solid, versatile and experienced player who sniffs up chances and can score goals.

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:26, Sam-AVFC said:

Really? This suggests he was joint 11th.

Sorry my mistake :) But top 11 in assist in PL is very good, could be very usefull for Villa. Right and left wingman with good experience.

6 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

I dont understand why it does matter if im from Iceland or England. I was talking about facts when i was talking about France national team midfielders who all plays in Premiership. I have been watching Villa for 2,5 years now and i like this club like many others English, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic and Norwegian, this is huge club with great history. In this case statistics speaks for itself and showes you that he is only player in this squad who have experience and have prove himself versus highest quality player is Bjarnason.  Im not saying that he should be starter, im saying that he could be very good squad player, solid, versatile and experienced player who sniffs up chances and can score goals.

So I take it you’re Icelandic?

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:06, Zatman said:

in a friendly.

Ireland beat Germany in a qualifier few years back and nobody suggested Glenn Whelan or Shane Long would get into the Bayern Munich team because of it 

No but they could have play for many other team in Bundesliga. Big mistake from Villa not to extend with Whelan, very good player. 

Smaller countries tend to be very nationalistic of the few athletes they manage to produce.

There is nothing wrong with that, but unless you didn't see Thor play last season he wasn't very good. Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish are all miles ahead of him and i think we will strengthen our midfield even more so can't see a future for him at Villa.

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Smaller countries tend to be very nationalistic of the few athletes they manage to produce.

There is nothing wrong with that, but unless you didn't see Thor play last season he wasn't very good. Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish are all miles ahead of him and i think we will strengthen our midfield even more so can't see a future for him at Villa.

I know he didnt play well in some games last season, but at same time he was able to play very well score for national team vs big team like France, Turkey ecs. and what i have been saying is that i think hes ability would be better in Premier League than Championship and i stand by it. You dont have to belive it, but im trying to come with argument regarding this subject which i belive is strong. 

Â