Gareth Southgate

Richard

If I was England manager, I'd play a 352 formation. 

Our strengths lie in the final third. We are bereft of talent there and playing that formation would allow more of them to be on the pitch. 

You could have a midfield 5 of Rice, Bellingham, Saka, Foden +1 other. Watkins and Kane up top, they both offer something totally different. 

Back 3, you'd probs be going Walker, Stones and if I had my way, Konsa. 

But, we all know he will shoe horn 4 RBs into the team, pick Phillips and give Watkins about 10mins in a dead rubber game. 

I despise Southgate, if he can't win the Euros this summer with the talent he has available, he should be paraded through the streets then shot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

You're not suggesting that Southgate would be biased just to recency are you? That would also make him a hypocrite...

And you just walked past? You should've reenacted his penalty miss and crying at Euro 96 outside his front window, which is exactly what my cousin did when we say him eating out in Lichfield not long after.

Did he not go the full whack and out the paper bag over his head?

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Our strengths lie in the final third. We are bereft of talent there and playing that formation would allow more of them to be on the pitch. 

You could have a midfield 5 of Rice, Bellingham, Saka, Foden +1 other. Watkins and Kane up top, they both offer something totally different. 

But, we all know he will shoe horn 4 RBs into the team, pick Phillips and give Watkins about 10mins in a dead rubber game. 

I despise Southgate, if he can't win the Euros this summer with the talent he has available, he should be paraded through the streets then shot. 

Back 5 is a great idea if TAA is fit who is Englands best passer of the ball and Walkers pace covering the centre backs if he needs play his boy Maguire

And I think we should play 4-2-3-1

Gk will be dinosaur arms because of his kicking and he's very much part of the never let me down gang 

Walker - Konsa - up for grabs - up for grabs

Stones - rice 

Saka - Bellingham - foden

Kane 

Attacking LWB as stones and Walker can cover, we'd effectively play 3 when in attack using the LB like Moreno 

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

And I think we should play 4-2-3-1

Gk will be dinosaur arms because of his kicking and he's very much part of the never let me down gang 

Walker - Konsa - up for grabs - up for grabs

Stones - rice 

Saka - Bellingham - foden

Kane 

Attacking LWB as stones and Walker can cover, we'd effectively play 3 when in attack using the LB like Moreno 

No chance Maguire misses out, unless through injury. His preferred team is

Pickford

Walker Stone Maguire Trippier

Rice Bellingham Philips/Henderson

Saka Kane Foden/Rashford

What's frustrating is that Walker won't get forward, Henderson will drop behind Stones and Maguire to get the ball and slow us down,  Rice won't be much different even though he's shown he's good in a more offensive role for Arsenal, Bellingham won't be able to push forward like he does for Real, and Foden won't be effective having to chase balls over the top down the channels. That's without Kane dropping into midfield and RB.

• Sad 1

One of the athletic journos suggested a line up that I thought could work nicely:

Pickford

walker      Stones.     Konsa.     Colwill

Rice

TAA.            Bellingham

Saka                                               Foden

Kane

the idea would be that in possession stones does what he does for city and pushes up into midfield to form a box midfield with him and rice at the base, meaning that walker, konsa and Colwill form a back three. That solves the “who do we pair with rice?” question and should give us ample control in possession. You could then be creative with where you put TAA and potentially position him quite far wide almost as a wing back to create space and enable saka/foden to operate more centrally which could suit each player’s strengths better. So in possession it could look like this:

Pickford

Walker    Konsa   Colwill

Stones   Rice

TAA                  Bellingham   

Saka                    Foden

Kane

The big outstanding q is who plays in defence. I’ve gone for Colwill in the LCB/Lb role but shaw could also potentially do it given he’s played CB for united (mings would have been good at it if he was fit). And I’ve arbitrarily put Konsa in the other slot (though that’s largely villa bias).

Theres of course absolutely no chance Southgate does this. But if you were to exploit the best way of operating the main tactical innovation of recent years (the box midfield), this would be the way to do it. 

4 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I don’t think back 3s actually help you get more attacking talent on the pitch.

At the end of the day, attacking football is a consequence of how you move up and down the pitch, how you move the ball around, not how you line up on paper.

I’d go with Konsa and Stones as CBs in a back 4, with one DM (Rice) and then the rest more or less picks itself but with a few judgment calls here and there about who starts and who comes off the bench.

I wouldn’t try to shoehorn everyone in. Just make full use of the squad as needed.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Seen a bit of talk about foden playing CM but Southgate shot it down as he doesn't play there for man city 

Just don't tell him where TAA plays for Liverpool... 

Or Kane for Bayern/Spurs

All these possible attacking lineups are funny, when you know Southgate is still going to play the likes of Maguire, Phillips, Henderson and Rashford 🤣

• Like 1

On 05/03/2024 at 23:20, VillaChris said:

I actually think Grealish being selected will cause issues aswell. A couple of years back the "people's champion" but his stock has fallen since then. Can't remember but did he even feature much in the World cup when he was playing consistently well for Man. City? Bar a few starts for England straight after leaving us he's never been a Southgate favourite.

If they have strong end to the seasons then Ollie, Bowen and Maddison all have to be in the squad but I can't see any space if he calls up Grealish and Rashford.

IIRC he came off the bench in every game. 

9 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Didn't he manage at club level before at Boro and was terrible from what i remember?

Relegated them the year after they got to the UEFA cup final, signed Alfonso Alves for £12million, and sold Yakubu who was replaced by Mido.

33 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Relegated them the year after they got to the UEFA cup final, signed Alfonso Alves for £12million, and sold Yakubu who was replaced by Mido.

But following that fell in to some sort of technical director, then got gifted the U21 and full role

He's the epitome of the FA being an old boys club, he's the new Trevor Brooking 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But following that fell in to some sort of technical director, then got gifted the U21 and full role

He's the epitome of the FA being an old boys club, he's the new Trevor Brooking 

Think he commented for a bit too

On 07/03/2024 at 13:18, Talldarkandransome said:

I'll wet myself if United snap him up, would literally be the funniest appointment ever

Would be the most baffling (and equally celebrated by me) decision since Liverpool nicked David Speedie from under our noses. 

• 2 weeks later...

We have one of the most talented and exciting squads in world football, but you can guarantee Henderson will be on the plane for the Euros :) 

• Like 3

Â