Top Gear

Jez

They do practise laps but as I understand it they get something like 5 practise laps and then their final lap counts. they used to give them loads of laps and the best one counted, but they changed it a while back (unless they changed it back again on the quiet)

So yes the footage probably is made up of various laps, but I dopn't think the time is.

I don't see any reason why they'd just make the times up. If they did that then you wouldn't get the occasions in where they get pretty famous people in (Tom Jones springs to mind I think) and they get a shit time.

Its funny coz i remember pretty much everyon hating Senna when he was alive/racing, i wonder if the same will be the same with schumacer in a few years...

I would love to do what James May did in the Veron, I had goose pimples and hairs standy uppy just watching it.

I can't imagine what it feels like, 140 mph feels quite fast so god knows what it's like doing 250 +. All I know is I want to do it.

Fantastic.

They do practise laps but as I understand it they get something like 5 practise laps and then their final lap counts. they used to give them loads of laps and the best one counted, but they changed it a while back (unless they changed it back again on the quiet)

I remember the old way and I remember the change. But the change immediately resulted in clearly quick people making a nervous balls of their final (real) lap. These days it seems the lap times are always representative in that the quick are going quick rather than skidding into the fields killing wabbits. From what I can see, they've changed it back quietly.

Conversely, I remember Senna being incredibly popular right up until his death.

I stopped actively watching F1 the day he died , the sport died with him in my opinion

sure he had some flaws but find me someone that hasn't

I tried to recognise a few but my knowledge of Brum's roads is laughable.

Interesting episode to finish on. The English Sports Car skit could have been funnier, biggest laugh was the horrendous noise from the TVR on full lock, the rest was a bit tepid.

Not terribly impressed with the Ferrari either. Don't even agree that it was particularly pretty.

Oh well... away Top Gear goes again for a while.

Yep, Stratford Road in Sparkhill was all I recognised.

I can guess the BP they were at when they said they were in Shirley (the one by the driving test centre and Sainsburys), because that's also on the Stratford Road. But I can't be sure.

Not terribly impressed with the Ferrari either. Don't even agree that it was particularly pretty.

I had been waiting on that review for the entire series. The 458 has been touted as the best thing Ferrari have ever made by pretty much everybody for the past six months, I knew Clarkson would gush all over it, I just wanted to see how much. He teased May about his F430 tonight, but you just have to watch

to see how much they loved it.

Conversely, I remember Senna being incredibly popular right up until his death.

As do I.

I hated Senna with a passion. Was thoroughly shocked and galled watching his crash/death. Truly awful TV.

Opinion of him hasn't changed. As a driver, he crossed the line over and over again. As a man, it seemed, he also did the same (though positively).

Aww man it was stunning IMO.

9347f_ferrari_458_italia.jpg

That's a pretty car.

Aww man it was stunning IMO.

9347f_ferrari_458_italia.jpg

That's a pretty car.

It's got all the basis for an achingly pretty car. But the thing that ruins it is the headlights for me, it makes it look too fussy, too fiddly. The little gash (is it a vent?) that comes down from the headlight under the bonnet just completely ruins the look for me and stops it being genuinely pretty.

I can guess the BP they were at when they said they were in Shirley (the one by the driving test centre and Sainsburys), because that's also on the Stratford Road. But I can't be sure.

It was that garage