Top Gear

Jez

Top Gear's Stig 'to be unveiled'

The Stig, the mystery driver who tests high-performance cars on Top Gear, will take his helmet off for the first time later, the BBC has confirmed.

Presenter Jeremy Clarkson, writing in his column in the Sun, revealed the unmasking, saying Stig's identity would be a "staggering surprise" to viewers.

He said the Stig would barge into the studio in Sunday night's pre-recorded BBC Two show before showing his face.

The driver has previously been named by papers as ex-stunt driver Ben Collins.

The BBC has previously refused to confirm or deny whether Collins, who has worked on films including James Bond movie Quantum Of Solace, is the Stig.

Clarkson, 49, said that, while filming the scenes, "hardened, emotionless camera crews said the hair on the back of their neck prickled".

"As a television moment, it's up there with Neil Armstrong walking on the... corpse of JR Ewing," he added.

A BBC spokesman would only say: "As Jeremy said, in tonight's Top Gear Stig will remove his helmet for the first time."

It is not clear if the apparent unveiling is part of a publicity stunt which could mean that Stig's identity remains a mystery.

Perry McCarthy, a former Formula 1 driver, was the original Stig, wearing black overalls for his appearances.

He was replaced with a new Stig, dressed in white, after he had revealed his identity in his 2002 autobiography.

Don't think it'll be the real Stig somehow, assuming that there is only one Stig of course. Probably take the helmet off to reveal Susan Boyle or something.

I didn't even know it was a new series tonight.

But it won't be the real Stig.

The Stig is a character, not a person. And that character is based around the mystery of who it is. It's almost certain to be at least 2 people anyway.

Schumacer was the stig in the Ferrari as it is a 1 m machine he wS the oy one they would trust to drive it so I am told

apparently the stigs are all different people

No shit Sherlock. The Stig is a character, not an individual. I think most people have been in on that joke for a few years.

If they have the new McLaren at the track, the McLaren test driver puts on white overalls and pretends to be The Stig. If they have the new Zonda, the Zonda test driver puts on white overalls and pretends to be The Stig. If they have the Ferrari FXX on then Michael Schumacher put on white overalls...

Loved the episode. Dunno how they plan to follow it though, it was awesome. And what about that Ferarri? Knocked six and a half seconds off of the lap record, and considering the cars that were at the top of the leaderboard it is quite astonishing. I understand that the FXX is Schumachers personal car, all of the others (29 of the 30 they made) are red with a white stripe. Schumie's is obviously matte black.

They pretty much said at the end that he wasn't actually the stig. I agree with the "it's different people" theory.

That was a monumental time from the ferrari. Could part of that be because it was actually Schuey driving it?

I'm not sure the Ferraris time should count... is it strictly a road car?

True. Remember when the F1 car went round the track in under a minute and they siad it didnt count because its not a road car, surely the FXX is not different.

my Moms BF has a mate who works at the set of top gear,

I might start writing a book on your ITK claims...

Thought tonight was a good episode.. but there should have been more focus on that Ferrari. Granted, they probably didn't have that much use of it, seeing as it costs a million quid.. but it was a bit "heres 20 minutes reviewing a car... its OK.. it does this and this, and this and this, blah blah blah, comfort, control, blah blah.... oh, and by the way., we have this shit hot car that's just smashed the track record... and now in other news...."