The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

9 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

No like wolves, brum, Cardiff, qpr, Wigan, Blackburn. All that are below us.

The same brum that were above us at the time? Other than that, barring the wolves game, we won them all? 

Edited by Mjvilla

5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

No like wolves, brum, Cardiff, qpr, Wigan, Blackburn. All that are below us.

Well yeah, that's 12 games played and about 40% of those games were against good sides. Why do you think we've only played dross teams under Steve Bruce?

Just now, One For The Road said:

Which would be fine had we not given 10 teams above us a head start. 2 points per game may not be enough. 

Just quoting Steve Bruce, the guy who has 4 promotions under his belt, who thinks our target should be 2 points a game. 

6 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Which would be fine had we not given 10 teams above us a head start. 2 points per game may not be enough. 

2 points would give us 80 points. Wednesday, who finished 6 th last year, finished with 74. I think 2 points per game would be plenty.

it would, in fact, be enough for the playoffs each of the last 5 years including 1 year it would've been good enough for automatic.

i think 80 points would be easily enough!

Edited by Mjvilla

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

2 points would give us 80 points. Wednesday, who finished 6 th last year, finished with 74. I think 2 points per game would be plenty.

Yes 73 pts is the average pts total for 6th spot over the last 10 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Hopefully 5 soon.

Reading aside, as that was a cracking win, can you give me one example of a game under Bruce that we have done more than we would have expected to? As in, a game we have won which we wouldnt have been favourites for?

It seems to me that we are scraping wins against teams we should hammer and losing or drawing against everyone else. Which is fine as we are a work in progress, but we are nothing like a team that will be able to sustain long winning runs or even 2 points per game for the rest of the season. 

Just now, One For The Road said:

Reading aside, as that was a cracking win, can you give me one example of a game under Bruce that we have done more than we would have expected to? As in, a game we have won which we wouldnt have been favourites for?

It seems to me that we are scraping wins against teams we should hammer and losing or drawing against everyone else. Which is fine as we are a work in progress, but we are nothing like a team that will be able to sustain long winning runs or even 2 points per game for the rest of the season. 

Agreed, we have not done it in much style, and any chance to maintain the 2 points per game will rely on january reinforcements coming in and having an impact. No reinforcements for example, then I think we will fall short. I am longing for a nice old fashioned 2-0 one day soon. 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Agreed, we have not done it in much style, and any chance to maintain the 2 points per game will rely on january reinforcements coming in and having an impact. No reinforcements for example, then I think we will fall short. I am longing for a nice old fashioned 2-0 one day soon. 

That would be nice. The noises coming out of VP though, coupled with Gardners ludicrous contact extension, point to us spending very little in January. A couple of shrewd loan moves maybe? 

We need a better midfield to have any chance at all so let's hope Bruce and Tony have something up their sleeves.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well yeah, that's 12 games played and about 40% of those games were against good sides. Why do you think we've only played dross teams under Steve Bruce?

I never said we'd only played dross. I said we'd played a lot of dross. Against the better teams our results haven't been  great bar the reading game.

I think a lot of the "dross" teams probably raise their performance against a team like Villa, perhaps that's why it hasn't looked so comfortable. But a wins a win, and Bruce is getting us back to a mentality where we don't lose or concede ridiculous goals or late on. 

Remember how depressing it was before Bruce came in.

Play offs is very possible.

• Like 3

At the beginning of October we were level with Derby a side some say we can't catch as they're 5 pts ahead. Derby have had easy away games and have capitalised to get the points. We have had very tough away games. We are a cup final for most clubs we go to. Inthe 2nd Alf we have winnable away games and tough home ones. We were 10 pts off of 6th which we've closed to 6 now but we have also closed the gap to 3rd. Our form under Bruce is promotion form and we will need to continue at least this.