Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This has been told to you over and over and over and over again so I'm not expecting you to listen,

but Ross has been offered the olive branch before. He hasn't taken it. He's finished at Villa.

If you are not expecting me to listen - why even bother posting to me would be my only  resounding question to you?

i should just add that this is a forum where all views are welcome  regardless - and people should feel free to post and respond as they see fit.

Edited by Dave J

14 minutes ago, Dave J said:

If you are not expecting me to listen - why even bother posting to me would be my only  resounding question to you?

I don't know. A futile hope that this time you might actually read the answer to the question you keep asking?

We all know that your issue with Ross McCormack is that Gabby was "offered an olive branch" and Ross wasn't. You can't seem to bear the fact that Gabby got that chance.

We've been through this a few times in the Ross McCormack thread.

The answer that is constantly given to you, by me and others, is that BOTH players were offered an olive branch. Gabby took his. Got himself fit, showed some dedication to the team and briefly featured in the manager's plans again. I don't like Gabby, I'd happily never see him pull a villa shirt on again. But that is what happened.

Ross did the opposite. He didn't take it, and as a result he's been shipped out on loan. To Australia because nobody at a decent level in this country wanted him. He seems to have serious attitude and off pitch issues.

It really is as simple as that.

yet here you are asking the same question. Again.

"i should just add that this is a forum where all views are welcome  regardless - and people should feel free to post and respond as they see fit."

Yes Dave. I know. You add this to your post every time you respond to me.

Once again, I am not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion. But it's incredibly frustrating for me and other posters when you keep asking the same question over and over, get given a simple and proper answer, yet totally ignore it.

You are free to keep ignoring it. of course.

I'm free to tell you that you're ignoring it and it's frustrating as ****.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dave J said:

TRO - you are one of the most well measured and balanced posters that I am aware of - and I am a little surprised at your stance on McCormack - something I fully respect I should hasten to add - but having flown across the world and being bothered it would appear to put in a shift regardless of how you view the A league - does this not seem like McCormacks attempt at saying ok I messed up - can we not start over ? SB does have form with this - however I don't want to be labelled obsessed once more - so I'll leave this point here.

It might well be that you are privy to information you feel you cannot share on here? And if this is the case - I'd be inclined to run with this - but purely on the surface I still find it just a little bit odd to leave him kicking his heels at BH 

Dave, is it just spin, rinse and repeat on a fortnightly basis or something?

Did we not do this to death a month ago at which point you conceded that there almost certainly is a serious issue with McCormack and that Bruce is almost certainly handling the situation correctly, or have you just completely forgotten?!?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Dave, is it just spin, rinse and repeat on a fortnightly basis or something?

Did we not do this to death a month ago at which point you conceded that there almost certainly is a serious issue with McCormack and that Bruce is almost certainly handling the situation correctly, or have you just completely forgotten?!?

Far from it - as I keep repeating I have no insight into McCormack as a person and I only responded to a post from someone else - I am not ignoring what others say - but at the same time I only know what I know and this is - we have a talented goal scorer kicking his heels - other than this remains speculation and therefore remains the subject of open debate - I would have thought ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Don’t need McCormack, we have some pretty decent championship strikers regardless, Grabban’s going to be a smart loan signing I sense. 

I quite agree with this - I too feel he is an astute signing 

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

I quite agree with this - I too feel he is an astute signing 

**facepalm**

So why keep asking why McCormack isn't in the squad?!?!?!

You don't need to be related to McCormack to see there is a problem there, people have presented you with various facts and rumours around his attitude and lack of application but as Stevo wrote you just seem to forget it all every 2-3 weeks or so and then come back to asking why he isn't in the squad.

Given that you agree we don't need him maybe it's time to shelve it for good eh?

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know. A futile hope that this time you might actually read the answer to the question you keep asking?

We all know that your issue with Ross McCormack is that Gabby was "offered an olive branch" and Ross wasn't. You can't seem to bear the fact that Gabby got that chance.

The answer that is constantly given to you, by me and others, is that BOTH players were offered an olive branch. Gabby took his. Got himself fit, showed some dedication to the team and briefly featured in the manager's plans again. I don't like Gabby, I'd happily never see him pull a villa shirt on again. But that is what happened.

Ross did the opposite. He didn't take it, and as a result he's been shipped out on loan. To Australia because nobody at a decent level in this country wanted him. He seems to have serious attitude and off pitch issues.

"i should just add that this is a forum where all views are welcome  regardless - and people should feel free to post and respond as they see fit."

Once again, I am not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion. But it's incredibly frustrating for me and other posters when you keep asking the same question over and over, get given a simple and proper answer, yet totally ignore it.

If you had been bothered to read my post you will have seen that I suggested McCormack may have just completed his side of the bargain by fulfilling his stint down under ? And this might have been his attempt at holding out the olive branch-  you made mention of ?it's very clear he is not the guy any of us would probably choose to share a beer with ? But hey this is a forum and you are entitled to hold whichever view you choose - this is Villa talk 

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

If you had been bothered to read my post you will have seen that I suggested McCormack may have just completed his side of the bargain by fulfilling his stint down under ? And this might have been his attempt at holding out the olive branch-  you made mention of ?it's very clear he is not the guy any of us would probably choose to share a beer with ? But hey this is a forum and you are entitled to hold whichever view you choose - this is Villa talk 

I read it, Dave. And I read it the last time you posted it in the Ross McCormack thread too.

There is no bargain. He was shipped out because we don't want him here. it wasn't a "go out on loan and get yourself fit and you'll be back in the team" arrangement.

It was a "you've had your chance(s), and you've blown it, now go away" arrangement.

He is done.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

**facepalm**

So why keep asking why McCormack isn't in the squad?!?!?!

You don't need to be related to McCormack to see there is a problem there, people have presented you with various facts and rumours around his attitude and lack of application but as Stevo wrote you just seem to forget it all every 2-3 weeks or so and then come back to asking why he isn't in the squad.

Given that you agree we don't need him maybe it's time to shelve it for good eh?

Because I speak only in footballing terms when it come to McCormack / yes the rumours and more rumours just keep flying around and his attitude continually bought into question - my only point is this - on footballing terms alone I feel he is good enough to be in the matchday 18. No more no less - but you might be right better to perhaps move on - but we do still all retain the right to respond as we see fit and this is all I have done.:)

6 minutes ago, Dave J said:

The problem is the exact opposite, he's exactly the type of guy you'd have a beer with, and that by all accounts is the major issue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dave J said:

TRO - you are one of the most well measured and balanced posters that I am aware of - and I am a little surprised at your stance on McCormack - something I fully respect I should hasten to add - but having flown across the world and being bothered it would appear to put in a shift regardless of how you view the A league - does this not seem like McCormacks attempt at saying ok I messed up - can we not start over ? SB does have form with this - however I don't want to be labelled obsessed once more - so I'll leave this point here.

It might well be that you are privy to information you feel you cannot share on here? And if this is the case - I'd be inclined to run with this - but purely on the surface I still find it just a little bit odd to leave him kicking his heels at BH 

Thanks for the kind words Dave..

I just have more faith in the manager than the player.....I have heard stuff on the player, but it not fair to quote innuendo.

I value stability and camaraderie and team spirit as a very valuable commodity....I would not be prepared to risk that for a player who has shown none of that to me....and we are not that desperate for goals recording c top goalscorers in the league, i think we are 4 behind Wolves.

Steve has his detractors on parts of his job, but man management is his strong point....he is very experienced too.

We have to trust him sometimes Dave.

Ps sorry just noticed the request to refrain from talking about MCCormack in this thread.....apologies.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

I suggested McCormack may have just completed his side of the bargain by fulfilling his stint down under ? And this might have been his attempt at holding out the olive branch

Nah, not for Me Dave.

I agree McCormack is a talented player - naturally gifted. That's why he's played at Championship level. So there's no argument, in terms of his ability, for him not to be a good player for a Championship level team or Club. He's got a record of scoring and making goals for a number of teams. So far so good. And maybe that's why people would want him in or around Villa's team.

But the other sides of things are rather less commendable. I don't want to write anything that could get the site into trouble, but I recall Graham Taylor talking about Gazza's refuelling habits. We obviously have heard about repeated issues in terms of (not) turning up for training at VIlla for Steve Bruce. We've the evidience of our own eyes in terms of his physical condition while at Villa. SB as far as I am aware doesn't have "form with this". If anything it's the opposite. Usually if there were any issues they've all been kept under wraps by SB at whatever clubs.

So as for McCormack "flying across the world and being bothered...olive branch etc."  I'm don't see  how that could be interpreted as some sort of apology or mea culpa - He's basically not apologised for anything, has he? Having some time playing in the sun in a lower standard of football isn't really anything other than an enjoyable sort of paid fitness holiday. Who wouldn't want to do that, rather than train on your own in a wet British winter.

He burnt his bridges, threw chances back in the managers face, has been less than committed to his profession and the lifestyle required. Like you say, there are in Grabban etc. alternatives. He's been a complete dick and has no-one to blame but himself on this one.  

So Steve Bruce, seems to have handled a difficult situation about as well as could be done, under the circumstances, whatever our views on the style of football and all the other things that people praise and criticise him for.

• Like 4

On 25/02/2018 at 12:22, VillanousOne said:

He deserves a lot of credit for making us hard to beat and then with once Grealish was fit he put together a solid attacking side (along with his coaches), he kept Hogan in the picture gave Davis a chance, brought Thor back etc. Bringing in Terry and Snodgrass, has defined our season so far. But he sold Baker and brought in Samba who did ok and then got injured and i presume won't ever be seen again.

But my feeling is as soon as Plan A is lost he returns to 'lets not lose' sticking square pegs in round holes, more midfielders and defenders instead of attackers.

McCormack may well be a giant bell end, but after a run of incredible form in Oz (yeah i know it's a shit league) he comes back and is bombed out again at a time we have massive injuries, that to me along with the refusal to have O'Hare on the bench is just infuriating, whilst persisting with Onomah who isn't our player and has consistently been cack.

But his loan signing of Grabban seems inspired and in the last few games he has made the right subs.

I have grown to respect Bruce a lot more than I ever thought, but like all managers he has limitations, but I hope he can get us into the Premiership, will he keep us there is a different debate.

I agree to a point. It makes no sense cutting your nose. We need every oulet possible at this critical stage of the season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I must admit I thought Botany bay was a bit much/harsh.

20 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

McCormack got left out of squad in December for turning up extremely late for training and A-league standard is a joke. Lot of his goals were free kick, penalties or tap ins. People seen one worldy goal against shambles defence and he's the next messiah. Laughable

Not one single person on these boards has claimed McCormack is the next messiah. People have stated it is a shame when we have so many injuries in attack we can't turn to a player we spent 12 mil on who has scored goals everywhere he has played, except Villa. No one is blaming Bruce or the club for why he has failed.

But Bruce said he wouldn't 'cut of his nose to spite his face' regarding McCormack even though he 'would like to' but we have no reason given as to why we bothered to recall him, give him 2 weeks off to get fit then send him training on his own. Surely we should have just left him in Australia even if we wanted a permanent deal or them to cover more of his wages. Without any other facts/quotes or statements to go on as to why he is not involved other than he is a bell end means that... well... recalling him, just so he can train with the kids on full wages is erm well er.... 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'. Laughable

Edited by VillanousOne

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

So, what do we think to Bruce changing it up to 4-4-2? Sign he is going for the automatics?

I think injuries have forced his thinking and it is influenced by the type of players he has at his disposal.

one thing a large squad with quality gives you is.....Flexibility.

some teams can't change, they don't have the players to do it.

• Like 2

Â