Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

He also took them above us for the first time ever.

Let's not pretend they weren't punching above their weight.

We weren't exactly the greatest side, if I remember. He had some decent players at his disposal, and  some financial backing from the West Ham lot.

Edited by sheepyvillian

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

We weren't exactly the greatest side, if I remember. He had some decent players at his disposal, and a some financial backing from the West Ham lot.

Yes and I think he signed a lot of them. 

I'm coming around to it maybe it not being the worst decision in the world to give him a chance. 

saying that I wouldn't be upset if we replaced him either. 

1 hour ago, MONCABA said:

He deserves a chance to manage us in the premiership. He's earned it. 

That is a fair point and I accept he has earned it, but at the same time it's a results and big money business these days and we don't have time nowadays for seeing if he can hack it in the premiership nowadays just to hope he can avoid relegation in the main.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yes and I think he signed a lot of them. 

I'm coming around to it maybe it not being the worst decision in the world to give him a chance. 

saying that I wouldn't be upset if we replaced him either. 

We ain't gonna sack him if we get promoted. We're far too nice a club for that kind of coldness. There's no denying he's doing the business, and seems to be on the way towards achieving the only thing that matters.

Edited by sheepyvillian

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Personally, I can't see a rational justification for holding that opinion.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I always felt uncomfortable with the idea of sacking a manager who had got us promoted - assuming it happened - but I could understand why some people would feel like that.

The longer the season has gone on, and particularly this run, the more I see continued tweaks and improvements and feel that sacking him if we were promoted would be incredibly harsh, and would mark us out as shysters - "thanks for doing what we asked, you're fired anyway".

It essentially makes us claret and blue Watford.

It would be incredibly harsh if we Win this league yes, it looks like it will be going to the wire for 2nd though. At this level of management I take my hat off to him however the next level, I remain very very doubtful he would get away with his tactics and setups in the premier league in this day and age of the modern game.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He remember him finding some decent players with Wigan and making them a mid table team.  Valencia and Palocious are two that spring to mind. 

Didnt he also bring Bent to Sunderland? 

That is all very well and very much true but that is just it - mid table and fighting 2 relegations etc.

It don't tie in with Tony's ambitious statement upon arrival.

We will need practically nearly a new team next season. I would prefer someone with top 6 credentials as a manager to build one rather than a bottom 6 manager.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Shame Brucies Trophy record isn't quite as sharp as Rafa's. ;)

11 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Trust me, I doubt it ever will be.

Of course it won't be and it has been interesting reading.

The potential scenario- We are promoted, and the end of the season comes and half the squad leave from expired loans and being out of contract.

We will have just over half a team left. Quarter of that team will not be good enough for the premier league and will need sold. The remainder we build a new on and around.

So, we're back in the premier league, we have a blank canvas to build on in effect and we will have a decent whack of money to an extent as Tony will aim high from the word go.

So of all the class managers that are out there that would be available to potentially come here, to build a new team that will aim for a top half finish from the word go, and we want that manager to be....  Steve Bruce and his little black book.  :crylaugh:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Of course it won't be and it has been interesting reading.

The potential scenario- We are promoted, and the end of the season comes and half the squad leave from expired loans and being out of contract.

We will have just over half a team left. Quarter of that team will not be good enough for the premier league and will need sold. The remainder we build a new on and around.

So, we're back in the premier league, we have a blank canvas to build on in effect and we will have a decent whack of money to an extent as Tony will aim high from the word go.

So of all the class managers that are out there that would be available to potentially come here, to build a new team that will aim for a top half finish from the word go, and we want that manager to be....  Steve Bruce and his little black book.  :crylaugh:

Don't underestimate the book! 

• Haha 1

I can see the argument for a ‘better’ manager if we get promoted (still a bit ‘if’!).

However, it seems to me a part of the current success is due to what looks like a very very strong team spirit. Which leads to two points: (1) Bruce has to take some credit for that, as it’s better than we’ve had in years and (2) we would risk seriously upsetting that if he was removed after promotion.

So, if we get up, I would try and continue the wave of positivity and stick (and I say that as someone who was firmly in favour of his removal earlier this season). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mrjc said:

I can see the argument for a ‘better’ manager if we get promoted (still a bit ‘if’!).

However, it seems to me a part of the current success is due to what looks like a very very strong team spirit. Which leads to two points: (1) Bruce has to take some credit for that, as it’s better than we’ve had in years and (2) we would risk seriously upsetting that if he was removed after promotion.

So, if we get up, I would try and continue the wave of positivity and stick (and I say that as someone who was firmly in favour of his removal earlier this season). 

That is fair enough, but nearly half of this current squad will potentially be gone and or wouldn't be good enough to cut it now for various reasons. So I dunno too much if spirit is to worry about - all hypothetically speaking of course.

11 minutes ago, mrjc said:

No good if half of the team has left.

Â