Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No idea. My knowledge of available/interested managers worldwide is very limited. 

What would be the criteria you'd look at to shortlist a manager if you were in charge of recruitment at the club?

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But the performance against QPR was very similar. It was awful. 

I don't think the players have switched off. I think this is what happens when you're a team that fails to control games and relies heavily on a natural goal scorer. It can grind out results or it can result in a loss. That's the issue. Our style of play will not get enough positive results for promotion. 

I am not arguing that the style of play needs to improve.  I don't think Bruce is either.  

I think step 1 was make us hard to beat.  Before the last 2 that was the case.  With Kodija we had the little bit of skill to eek out the wins.

is that method sustainable over the whole season? No is my opinion.  He will have to develop plans in the close season to make us more dynamic.  It's hard to change tactics in a season especially with us being close to the relegation zone.

Its an interesting summer on the horizon.  The ingredients are there for a team capable of challenging for automatic promotion.  He has earnt the chance to lead us there in my opinion.

i do understand that others may not share that opinion though!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Godders said:

What would be the criteria you'd look at to shortlist a manager if you were in charge of recruitment at the club?

Mine would be a manager who can get us promoted and keep us in the Premier League for one season.

We've got that manager already.

6 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

I am not arguing that the style of play needs to improve.  I don't think Bruce is either.  

I think step 1 was make us hard to beat.  Before the last 2 that was the case.  With Kodija we had the little bit of skill to eek out the wins.

is that method sustainable over the whole season? No is my opinion.  He will have to develop plans in the close season to make us more dynamic.  It's hard to change tactics in a season especially with us being close to the relegation zone.

Its an interesting summer on the horizon.  The ingredients are there for a team capable of challenging for automatic promotion.  He has earnt the chance to lead us there in my opinion.

i do understand that others may not share that opinion though!

I think it would be better to move on from Bruce but i can also acknowledge he's probably done enough to be given the chance next season. He's also been promoted 4 other times so it's not impossible for him to turn things round. 

As you say, a development in the way we play is needed. Can Bruce do that? Is that something he's successfully done before? I always had him down as someone who had a preferred style and was able to get success in the championship with it. From what I've seen i don't see much evidence to suggest Bruce can get these players performing in a different more positive style of football. 

11 minutes ago, Godders said:

I'd like someone who is good on the training ground. We don't need a huge squad overhaul, I want someone who can implement a more positive style of football with this current squad and maybe a couple of additions, through their coaching and working with the team. 

We have proven top quality in the this league, i believe these players are capable of more. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He probably does deserve to start next season. And Xia has shown he won't mess around if it's not going right. 

I predict Bruce won't be here next Xmas. I just hope the season can still be salvaged. The problem will be a new manager, needing new players and more time. Which is why for me it's worth the gamble of bringing in a new manager in the summer 

We gambled with Sherwood and garde and both were complete failures. No more gambles for me I am afraid

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

We gambled with Sherwood and garde and both were complete failures. No more gambles for me I am afraid

I don't think we need to gamble with who we appoint. I mean gamble with removing Bruce. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

I don't think we need to gamble with who we appoint. I mean gamble with removing Bruce. 

That's what I meant mate it's a huge gamble and I don't think we need to at this stage

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

That's what I meant mate it's a huge gamble and I don't think we need to at this stage

I think it's incredibly important to our long term future that we get promoted next season. Any other season I'd probably agree, but i think because of that we need to take that gamble. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

I think it's incredibly important to our long term future that we get promoted next season. Any other season I'd probably agree, but i think because of that we need to take that gamble. 

The problem is who do we get? Wagner? Smith? All huge gambles.

I'd stick with bruce. Give him 5-6 games if he starts terribly he has to go

At the end of this season Bruce will have had 8 months and 35 games in charge.

Literally every game has been a mirror image of the following or previous game, cautious sitting back, hoping to nick a win.

With the possibility of the club signing 2 GK's (1 possibly being SJ) a CB, a DM and 1 or 2 more, who on earth believes that after so long with the same old same old, Bruce will suddenly change not only the way we play but achieve a promotion winning set of performances & results?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The problem is who do we get? Wagner? Smith? All huge gambles.

I'm not massively against that (my posts may come across differently) as long as we act quickly if it's not a great start. 

I really hope Xia has exceptionally high standards for how we are meant to start the season. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not massively against that (my posts may come across differently) as long as we act quickly if it's not a great start. 

I really hope Xia has exceptionally high standards for how we are meant to start the season. 

Yeah I agree. We can wait 12 games like we did with RDM if he starts as badly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

rinse & repeat?

Doing that will only give a new manager the ready-made excuses "I need a preseason" "cant get my own players in till Jan"..........

Get rid now.

• Like 2

There is no way this team is going up next year.

The inability of most if the players to do basic football tasks is shocking and add to fact our manager simply hasn't tries to rectify it.

The way Fulham scores their first goal is pretty much how we defend for most of the game. Players collapsing to the 6 yard box. Not knowing where to go..who to mark. If you look at all the goals we conceed there are always more players in the box than opposition. 

Add to the fact possession, this needs to be improved big time, we can't keep playing games with 30% hoping kodj will score and we will win.

I was neither for or against Bruce but the has made fundamental mistakes, team selection, formation but then the players are not good enough.

I thinking should have the summer but i think we will be in same position come christmas, we will win a view lose a few and be in mid table.

Bruce needs to buy a team, not players, talent alone won't win games. It's a big summer this year, players, staff, the board.  We are going to be joined by another three teams all wanting to go up, it's not going to be easy...UTV

23 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

rinse & repeat?

Doing that will only give a new manager the ready-made excuses "I need a preseason" "cant get my own players in till Jan"..........

Get rid now.

But surely if we get a manager made of the right stuff like you're advocating, he won't need any excuses. His talent as manager and his ability to implement his style should mean he will be afine with the squad we have. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

6 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

The inability of most if the players to do basic football tasks is shocking and add to fact our manager simply hasn't tries to rectify it.

The way Fulham scores their first goal is pretty much how we defend for most of the game. Players collapsing to the 6 yard box. Not knowing where to go..who to mark. If you look at all the goals we conceed there are always more players in the box than opposition. 

Add to the fact possession, this needs to be improved big time, we can't keep playing games with 30% hoping kodj will score and we will win.

I was neither for or against Bruce but the has made fundamental mistakes, team selection, formation but then the players are not good enough.

I thinking should have the summer but i think we will be in same position come christmas, we will win a view lose a few and be in mid table.

Bruce needs to buy a team, not players, talent alone won't win games. It's a big summer this year, players, staff, the board.  We are going to be joined by another three teams all wanting to go up, it's not going to be easy...UTV

That's a bit strange to say that's how we defend all the time when we don't usually play 352. If you mean when he plays this formation I agree, but not every week as demonstrated with all the clean sheets.

Bruce royally messed up this week tactically.  It was a complete shambles.

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

But surely if we get a manager made of the right stuff like you're advocating, he won't need any excuses. His talent as manager and his ability to implement his style should mean he will fine with the squad we have. 

Because I look at who may possibly be making the appointment.

Wyness maybe a good administrator and Round may even have a good Blueprint as far as how the club should be logistically organised. But can DrT, Wyness and Round find/choose/persuade "the right manager for the now" to come to us?

12 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

It's absurd to make such definitive statements over 12 months before the end of next season. 

Let's archive this comment and have a look at how it stands up at the end of May 2018.

• Like 2

Â