Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, DCJonah said:

Can't help but feel we are wasting our time again.

Didn't comment much during our good run because i didn't watch any of it. Just saw the fantastic results. 

But after seeing the QPR game I'm not surprised it's been poor. You just can't expect to be consistent playing that shit. 

I don't expect him to be here past next Christmas. 

Totally agree. You can only wing it so long with the playing stats we've had under Bruce. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TRO said:

There will be another busy summer......if we have any ambition.

too many still not up to it.

We probably need to make 4 signings to go into the immediate first team, a keeper, a centre half to play with Chester, a left winger and for my mind, a central midfielder. Then a couple for the squad would be nice. Then we need to ship out some players and I'd put Agbonlahor, Amavi, Hutton, Richards, Elphick and potentially Grealish on that list.

However we do have to learn from the gross overspends last summer. We simply can't drop the vast sums of money on players like we did, all that spend has delivered what appears to be a bottom half finish, not good enough, especially when most of the playoff and automatically promoted sides have spent a fraction of what we have. 

6 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Totally agree. You can only wing it so long with the playing stats we've had under Bruce. 

Quite. I beleive every club that has sacked a manager so far this season has cited unhappiness with the possession stats as the key reason.

Bruce must know he's on notice.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sne said:

But he'll not be given more than the summer and the first half of next season to fix this.

Anyone thinking Bruce will be here for the long haul regardless of results are IMO out of touch with how modern football works.

You could well be right......but it is all dependant on merit, not calendar datum points.

I would be interested to know how "modern" football works against ordinary football....I would be interested to know the difference.

I've mentioned dean smith on these pages are bit but i think he's a superb manager and coach. They are a side who clearly spend endless amounts of time working on their shape and the way they want to play. They've handed out some serious beatings to good sides with significantly bigger budgets in this division. We look like 11 expensively assembled individuals on the pitch.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

You could well be right......but it is all dependant on merit, not calendar datum points.

I would be interested to know how "modern" football works against ordinary football....I would be interested to know the difference.

Well it has very little to do with how much time Ferguson was given at United or with how we played in 81.

Seriously thou, you know very well how little time managers are given nowadays.

To think Xia will have the same faith you do in Bruce is naive.

With the money invested and what's at stake, the pressure on Bruce to deliver next season is immense.

We have to hit the ground running, and keep running.

My fear is that as soon as we get one or two results against us next season we will revert back to the overly cautious approach we've seen this season.

And that's not gonna fly.

All IMO as always

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We probably need to make 4 signings to go into the immediate first team, a keeper, a centre half to play with Chester, a left winger and for my mind, a central midfielder. Then a couple for the squad would be nice. Then we need to ship out some players and I'd put Agbonlahor, Amavi, Hutton, Richards, Elphick and potentially Grealish on that list.

However we do have to learn from the gross overspends last summer. We simply can't drop the vast sums of money on players like we did, all that spend has delivered what appears to be a bottom half finish, not good enough, especially when most of the playoff and automatically promoted sides have spent a fraction of what we have. 

Its interesting...... I happen to agree.

I just think, whether Steve Bruce lasts the course or not......we need a few windows to sort this out......There are still players, not good enough, Amavi is one example.

Its still going to take some time, whoever is in charge.

I am sceptical as to auto promotion next term.

No question the team selection was wrong today - I don't  see why Bruce starts bacuna at all , he is not good enough and never has been - far too negative a set up at home today - let's play green and hogan and take the game to teams - we have the players to make a difference but once again I question the starting line up and why bacuna yet again starts in the team ? 

Have  been a big backer of Bruce but he really should be using these games to fine tune some plans for next season - there are players starting today who are not good enough and  players on the bench who deserve a run in the team . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its interesting...... I happen to agree.

I just think, whether Steve Bruce lasts the course or not......we need a few windows to sort this out......There are still players, not good enough, Amavi is one example.

Its still going to take some time, whoever is in charge.

I am sceptical as to auto promotion next term.

I agree mate,  but we must have spent north of £100m over the last few windows and yet many (like yourself) are sceptical of automatic promotion from the championship next season. 

I think that strengthens the point made by @Dr_Pangloss that we have grossly overspent. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I agree mate,  but we must have spent north of £100m over the last few windows and yet many (like yourself) are sceptical of automatic promotion from the championship next season. 

I think that strengthens the point made by @Dr_Pangloss that we have grossly overspent. 

Amavi and bacuna are both shocking - nowhere near good enough .

1 minute ago, sne said:

Well it has very little to do with how much time Ferguson was given at United or with how we played in 81.

Seriously thou, you know very well how little time managers are given nowadays.

To think Xia will have the same faith you do in Bruce is naive.

With the money invested and what's at stake, the pressure on Bruce to deliver next season is immense.

We have to hit the ground running, and keep running.

My fear is that as soon as we get one or two results against us next season we will revert back to the overly cautious approach we've seen this season.

And that's not gonna fly.

All IMO as always

You ridicule the past, but in many cases principles remain......for sure, there have been many changes in football.....but equally you could sit down and analyse how many things haven't changed.

many of the changes you allude to are superficial or cosmetic......the main principles of the game are the same today as was present decades ago.....and will be the same decades in to the future.

Tony Xia may have more faith in SB than me, so I think you may have that arse about face.

I still don't think the team is right......it will take more surgery IMO to get it right.

How little time managers have is more of a current trend rather than a modern thinking foresight.....IMO it's not necessarily right.

5 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

I think we should continue with the hugely successful recruitment policy of buying players with Championship experience. 

This was extremely shortsighted.

When we sack Bruce we need to sack off this idiotic policy as well. 

As opposed to what? Buying young foreign players from France? Or maybe we should be buying experienced PL pros like Lescott and Richards? 

Chester, Taylor and jedinak all came from the PL and most of us were more than happy with Lansbury, Hourihane, Bree and Hogan.

You're just making things up to use as a stick to beat the club/manager with. 

There needs to be a huge improvement next Sunday v blues as a performance like today's will not be tolerated - the pressure is off and we should be playing without fear with some quality creative players in the side - however we seem to set up far too negatively - I am angry tonight as I felt Bruce had turned the corner but the last 2 games have been very poor .

Edited by Eastie

Despite my support of Steve, I think that result was poor.

It represented very little of what he has recently achieved and has played in to the hands of his detractors.

I still don't think this team is complete in terms of rebuild and much work on it still needs to be done.

I think he will continue to tinker until the season ends in order to know what he needs for phase 2........

sadly, I expect a few more results like this, between now and the season end.

Edited by TRO

Just now, Eastie said:

There needs to be a huge improvement next Sunday v blues as a performance like today's will not be tolerated - the pressure is off and we should be playing without frpear with some quality creative players in the side - however we seem to set up far too negatively - I am angry tonight as I felt Bruce had turned the corner but the last 2 games have been very poor .

I agree. I think the remainder of the season (sha aside) should have been purely experimental. In the grand scheme of things, I'm not really bothered if we finish 9th or 12th whatever. I think 90% of the fans would except a couple of loses if Bruce started experimenting for next year. 

Â