Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Amavi shouldn't be in the first 11 in any position .

I see the Birmingham Mail linked us to a left back for a summer move. (Can't remember the name) but I wonder if there are murmurings now about amavi leaving in the summer and the media starting to pick up on it. Would be worthwhile cashing in on him if you ask me.

18 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

We should have took the 25 million euros

The problems we have don't seem like ones that another €25m would solve.

Do many fans really think "If only we had another €25m, everything would be ok"?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

For the record, if Bruce does manage to turn things round and get us playing the way a team like Aston Villa should play , then I will be the first to say , I was wrong .

Bravo....fair play.

13 minutes ago, peterms said:

Do many fans really think "If only we had another €25m, everything would be ok"?

ditto

14 minutes ago, peterms said:

10 million pound keeper.

Younger Jedinak for another 10 mill.

5 mill to top up Kodjias passing and intelligence.

On 2/18/2017 at 14:52, terrytini said:

Good God.

First I saw the Richards thread bumped then I read a couple of comments in here and with dread checked the News.

He really has said "he's a stick on if fit ".

Up until now I have said Bruce is doing appallingly but should still be given at least a few more games and maybe end of season.

Not now. That's the final straw.

There is no way those comments are from a man who is in full control and has a definite plan of where he is taking us, no way.

Richards has been awful in every conceivable way for us.

Sorry Bruce that's me in the Sack Him camp.

Terry, when I read it in the B/Mail.....I thought of you and a few others on here and said to the mrs.......I better put my tin hat on, next time I go on VT.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eastie said:

Amavi shouldn't be in the first 11 in any position .

His business in how he deals with an opposite number, worries me greatly.

He is much too easily beaten, in many aspects.

He has a trait that too many of our players have......He is ok, when no opponent is near him.

Edited by TRO

Keep Bruce, and for whatever causes, we continue to avoid winning while dropping down the chart like a Jedward single, while hoping that eventually everything will soon click and we start playing to our potential.

Sack Bruce, and either have Calderwood as caretaker, or by some miracle of fate having a great manager who is keen and right for us being available to come right in, but still needing time to embed his own system while we sacrifice stability and still fall down the table.

Hello, ol' catch 22. We meet again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AJ said:

Keep Bruce, and for whatever causes, we continue to avoid winning while dropping down the chart like a Jedward single, while hoping that eventually everything will soon click and we start playing to our potential.

Sack Bruce, and either have Calderwood as caretaker, or by some miracle of fate having a great manager who is keen and right for us being available to come right in, but still needing time to embed his own system while we sacrifice stability and still fall down the table.

Hello, ol' catch 22. We meet again.

AJ you are a bundle of fun......just kidding mate.:)

It is like that because so many factors over the last 6 years have not been synchronised.......one thing right, that thing wrong, get that right, then this is gone wrong and so on.

The HR dep't must be knackered, their door probably has probably done more work than the turnstiles,

Thats what folk mean by stability.

I would doubt if SB has got everything right, so far......(The big man himself SAF never got everything right) I would think he will tell you that in a private moment.....but he does seem adamant he will get this right.....The job may have had a few twists for him and he says its much harder than he thought.....But he is still defiant.

also,I have always had a quiet regard for Neil Warnock .....when horses for courses spring up ......Neil knows what this league is all about, just like Brucie........but I think the personnel at Cardiff  was easier to get the reaction from , than ours. I understand no one wants him,but in some cases that is almost saying we haven't quite come to terms of where we are.....and have the players?

SB will sort this.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

You only have to cast your eye over at our city cousins.

Had a manager that was pragmatic, not a big name in world football, kept their feet on the ground...ground out results in a very workman like manner....didn't spend big money and was grinding out results without being spectacular.....they wasn't great individually , but had a bit of grit and balance.

So in come the new guys all guns blazing new high profile name, who knows nothing about having to graft your way out of this league first before the trimmings are applied and bosh.....end up in no mans land.

Now they are neither one thing or the other.

We need to look watch and observe......because the manager over the otherside at Albion has made the right applications to their play too.....Mr Boring Pulis.( that was my sarcasm by the way).....doing a great job.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Terry, when I read it in the B/Mail.....I thought of you and a few others on here and said to the mrs.......I better put my tin hat on, next time I go on VT.

Ha ha,

You needn't have worried, I'm speechless !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

AJ you are a bundle of fun......just kidding mate.:)

It is like that because so many factors over the last 6 years have not been synchronised.......one thing right, that thing wrong, get that right, then this is gone wrong and so on.

The HR dep't must be knackered, their door probably has probably done more work than the turnstiles,

Thats what folk mean by stability.

I would doubt if SB has got everything right, so far......(The big man himself SAF never got everything right) I would think he will tell you that in a private moment.....but he does seem adamant he will get this right.....The job may have had a few twists for him and he says its much harder than he thought.....But he is still defiant.

also,I have always had a quite regard for Neil Warnock .....when horses for courses spring up ......Neil knows what this league is all about, just like Brucie........but I think the personnel at Cardiff  was easier to get the reaction he has from than ours. I understand no one wants him,but in some cases that is almost saying we haven't quite come to terms of where we are.....and have the players.

SB will sort this.

th?id=OIP.TzhrJZCoZSKIbqafrUoZjgEsDh&w=2

Yes, there are too many working parts to this befuddling contraption for Villa to work out.

• Like 1

Apologies if posted before but is very relevant.

Shortly after taking charge at Sunderland Steve Bruce was asked if he had considered experimenting with a Christmas Tree formation. "I'm not really into tactics," he replied. At the time that response was easy to interpret as a deliberately flippant or, perhaps, a self-deprecating means of avoiding answering the question. As the seasons passed, though, the suspicion grew that the former Manchester United captain had simply been honest.

Arguably one of the principal reasons Bruce is no longer in charge at the Stadium of Light concerns his apparent inability to tweak formations or tactics during matches. Whenever a rival manager re-configured his system mid-game, Bruce invariably failed to come up with a countermeasure.

In recent months Alan Pardew, Mark Hughes, Roy Hodgson and, most recently, Roberto Martínez have all seemingly out-thought him as Sunderland dropped points against supposedly weaker sidesthey really should have beaten.

If he failed to cut it as a tactician, the 50-year-old did not seem much of a strategist either. Including loans, 30 players were signed – several of whom have subsequently been moved on – during Bruce's two-and-a-half years on Wearside. That represents an unsettling "churn" factor and hardly proved conducive to developing either a clear playing philosophy or strong team spirit.

Always rather amorphous, if not downright scrappy, Sunderland's high-tempo style lacked creativity, not to mention control, in central midfield. Unable to dictate play, the team frequently failed to press home early advantages.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

Over 5 years later and he hasn't improved. Mike Phelan was the main reason Hull got promoted last season in my view.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Apologies if posted before but is very relevant.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

Over 5 years later and he hasn't improved. Mike Phelan was the main reason Hull got promoted last season in my view.

Everytime that article got posted before he was appointed it drew huge criticism, but it is almost a direct description of all the problems he's having here. 

• Like 2

LOL pretty much a spot on diagnosis of our problems now. Bruce was hired for his record at this level which is understandable but he just looks woefully out of step. Hull had a much better side than us last season IMO, the size of the task appears to be a bit too much for him 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

LOL pretty much a spot on diagnosis of our problems now. Bruce was hired for his record at this level which is understandable but he just looks woefully out of step. Hull had a much better side than us last season IMO, the size of the task appears to be a bit too much for him 

I'd say this could be true of continues in next 5 games. I still maintain give him end of season and if continues then he has to go. I think he will turn this around though

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd say this could be true of continues in next 5 games. I still maintain give him end of season and if continues then he has to go. I think he will turn this around though

What's classed as turning it around?

Because I don't think we will keep losing and get relegated. So you could argue he turned it around. But I have zero faith that we will challenge for promotion with him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What's classed as turning it around?

Because I don't think we will keep losing and get relegated. So you could argue he turned it around. But I have zero faith that we will challenge for promotion with him. 

As in top 10 finish.  I think he will be a lot better next season. Bruce tends to start pretty well in this league. He came mid season changed a whole new team. In summer despite the form (pending on outgoings) I think we only need about 3-4 players. 

I think bruce cocked up massively with the goal keeper situation and I think that is a massive part of our shit form.

• Like 3

Â