Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

We don't need a long term solution.

We need a manager who can get us promoted and keep us in the premier league for a season or two.

Steve Bruce CAN do that, given his past history.

That doesn't necessarily mean he'll do it for us, but he's about as sure a thing as we could get in this league.

The current slump is worrying, but I still think he's more than capable of recovering.

Really we don't need a long term  plan or solution ? Who are you kidding!  If you think Bruce is this man then that's fine with me- for the record I don't, yes it's plausible he might get us up, for me then it becomes a different scenario - long term planning you might call it 

17 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Sorry but I'm not biting :)

I've given my view, some will agree others won't. Everyone is free to their own opinion, I'm just not going to change mine based on any posts on here and I doubt I'll change anyone else's. 

So as I said, I'll leave the debate to others.

It wasn't to provoke a bite fwiw.

Its not that easy. Long term I know Bruce will probably take us up, get us to about tenth and then probably not be able to make the improvement. The point is he will get us to a place and then be replaced. Same with the players. If the long term plan is to win the premiership, we don’t have the manager, and the same goes for the players. But we can’t sign a manager who will win us the premiership, nor the players. Doesn’t mean we won’t sign players like Lansbury who will take us so far. 

We need to be pragmatic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Really we don't need a long term  plan or solution ? Who are you kidding!  If you think Bruce is this man then that's fine with me- for the record I don't, yes it's plausible he might get us up, for me then it becomes a different scenario - long term planning you might call it 

I didn't say we didn't need a long term plan.

I said we didn't need a long term solution. By that I was talking about the manager, as in we don't need a manager who's going to be here "long term". Years and years.

We don't need that. It's not a bad thing to have if it happens. but the club should be looking for a manager who will get us promoted and keep us there for a season or two. 

I think Bruce is more than capable of that.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I didn't say we didn't need a long term plan.

I said we didn't need a long term solution. By that I was talking about the manager, as in we don't need a manager who's going to be here "long term". Years and years.

We don't need that. It's not a bad thing to have if it happens. but the club should be looking for a manager who will get us promoted and keep us there for a season or two. 

I think Bruce is more than capable of that.

Plan/ solution meh!! Where we disagree is that I don't feel Bruce would keep us up.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Di Matteo had plenty of time after the transfer window. Bruce has had, err, 0 games.

The players were a lot more capable than RDM had them playing and they are a lot more capable than what Bruce has had them playing. Other than an initial new manager bounce there has been zero change.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Bed a few players in?

Not really. They've been a squad in constant flux under a mentalist owner for quite a while. 

perhaps it wasn't the best choice of word....but you know what i mean......they have been down there some time to acclimatise

11 minutes ago, PauloBarnesi said:

Its not that easy. Long term I know Bruce will probably take us up, get us to about tenth and then probably not be able to make the improvement. The point is he will get us to a place and then be replaced. Same with the players. If the long term plan is to win the premiership, we don’t have the manager, and the same goes for the players. But we can’t sign a manager who will win us the premiership, nor the players. Doesn’t mean we won’t sign players like Lansbury who will take us so far. 

We need to be pragmatic.

Spot on, I'd snap your arm off right now for finsihing 10th in the Premiership in the 2018/2019 season. The type of player an ambitious club in the that position with an upward momentum can attract (and manager if it looks like that really is Bruce's ceiling) is a bit different to a club that is still staggering drunkenly on the edge of the abyss after falling down ten flights of stairs to find itself mid table and cut adrift in the Championship. The face we have been able to attract the players we have in Jan speaks volumes for the club's ambitions but we haven't shown much more than halting the incredible decline so far.

I don't know if Bruce's ceiling is halfway up the Prem or not, he won the top prizes as a player so he must know what a winning top flight club is all about. I do know that what I saw against Brentford would do well not to get relegated to League One. The making or breaking of Bruce is his work from now till the end of the season. Not in terms of getting promoted but in making a team that has an identity and can actually play football without looking like a bunch of randoms thrown together five minutes before kick off.

• Like 2

I think we have produced about half a dozen decent 45 minute periods so far under him, I expect that to change by the end of the month we should be a more organised unit playing to a style thats suits the personel. If what we get is 11 blokes on the pitch not really playing to any kind of shape or dare I use the word tactical plan then I am not sure what would be gained by giving him till October when the end of the season would be better.

I hope we all see those improvements

I think Bruce will feel a lot of pressure to improve on Saturday - a repeat of tuesdays performance and the knives will be out for him - I believe we will see a much better team performance and result at forest .

10 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

The players were a lot more capable than RDM had them playing and they are a lot more capable than what Bruce has had them playing. Other than an initial new manager bounce there has been zero change.

Complete myth, no such thing as "new manager bounce" players don't magically play better for no reason.

1 hour ago, macandally said:

Some good posts but for me we are currently stuck in a cycle of "bad Manager, get a new one, Manager blames players, gets new ones" rinse and repeat.  There is no continuity or game plan, pick a formation, but the players to suit and align the academy with that formation then stick with it.  As an ex-military guy I know training/drills are hammered into you so that when things go wrong you automatically resort to them.  We are changing formations/tactics too often which is confusing things.

Regarding Brentford, we were too deep throughout by a country mile.  Therefore, the long ball was the only outball.  Newcastle have decided to play aggressively from an attacking perspective acknowledging that at times it will cost them and they will lose games.  This "win more than you lose" philosophy is working and I believe this is what RDM was aiming for.  My worry is that with Bruce, every defeat takes us further away from playing this way.  We should go balls out and see what happens!

• Because they unsettled us and then took the inititive, it wasn't part of any plan.....Brentford did their job and we allowed it to happen.
  • We did in the first 15-20 minutes of the game....but then conceded control.

27 minutes ago, PauloBarnesi said:

We need to be pragmatic.

spot on

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Complete myth, no such thing as "new manager bounce" players don't magically play better for no reason.

Not sure about that - a new manager means a clean slate and players tend to raise their game and have to prove themselves worthy of a place .

think Hogan could make the diference from here on in, Bruce now as assembled a really good group of players,who else in this league could have cherry picked these players maybe just one other?, I like many on here was very happy with our signings but it may take a few more games before we start seeing them Gel. Patience is needed

1 minute ago, walesavfc said:

think Hogan could make the diference from here on in, Bruce now as assembled a really good group of players,who else in this league could have cherry picked these players maybe just one other?, I like many on here was very happy with our signings but it may take a few more games before we start seeing them Gel. Patience is needed

The fact that we are virtually out of the play off race now may take some pressure off and hopefully we will have a strong finish to the season .

12 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I don't think the tactic llast night was to go long to Kodja,  but Brentford pressed us so high up the pitch we didn't know what else to do.  

We need to get a bit cuter on the ball and work on our movement,  if we could have passed our way out there would have been huge spaces,  but we don't know how and resorted to lumping it.  That needs to change.  

These are professional players , not school kids ,surely they know how to pass a ball .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Agreed play on the front foot and take the game to opponents instead of sitting back like frightened rabbits .

That wasn't the plan

it was a RESULT of Brentford imposing themselves on us......and us doing little about it.

I give Brentford a lot of credit for what they did......But they will not get away with playing like that against Brighton, mark my word.

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

These are professional players , not school kids ,surely they know how to pass a ball .

not when they have a determined opponent trying to deny them and closing down the space you need to pass it.

You have to deal with that first ......then you can pass the ball.

Â