Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think there is a middle ground to be found between showing patience and giving the team time to gel when they are showing signs of doing so and the shit sandwiches he has been serving week after week this past 6 weeks or so. 

Since Brighton basically. What has he done with that team? They weren't 'his' players either. 

Anyway, I feel better now! Though I am just reminded he came dangerously close to saying "we go again" last night ;) 

Since Brighton they have been coached by Colin calderwood - do you think he is one of the factors in our demise or just coincidental?

• Like 1

I've slept on it.

Still has to go for me. Ultra dull football that just isn't working. Many other 'inferior on paper' teams outclassing us simply by being more determined.

It's inexcusable. Yes they weren't/aren't his players. Yes we've made a number of signings that will take time to bed in (tho I say again........ we're ALWAYS waiting for our signings to bed in...... We literally never have one who really comes in, makes a difference and hits the ground running), but we're not even showing any form of signal that something may click or work. It's not encouraging in any way shape or form. It's simply abysmal and has been for a couple of months.

There was no reason to continue with RDM, when he dished up a run of shit like this and there's no reason to with Bruce. 

Yes we keep changing managers and it's not ideal but we keep hiring shit.

Keep reading he's hurting too and he was fuming last night. So what? He's not paid to Hurt or be fuming. He's paid millions to get results, which he simply isn't doing.

• Like 3

I think it's very worrying that he can't stop the bad performances. He's incapable with the squad that he's got to stop them playing like a team destined to go down. 

Grealish wonder goal and a kodjia moment of magic have really saved it from being much much worse. 

I losing faith that he will be here next season. 

• Like 1

I think talk of sacking him at the moment is a bit early...having said that I think he has made some basic mistakes...not enough support in attack and defence...a simple 5 in the middle instead of persisting with 3 would improve us greatly...every other team plays 5 against us...why...strength in numbers...Brentford did it and exploited the space in the middle...maybe something like 

Hogan

Kodjia   Hourihane   Lansbury/grealish

Jedi    Thor/lansbury

Taylor, Chester, elphic/ Baker, Bree

Jonhstone

Thing that really grinds my gears is that -on paper- we have had a choice run of fixtures since the New Year.

Rescheduling the Bristol home game was one less winnable game moved, but there was still enough there to build up a decent head of steam and cut the deficit.

Losing players for AFCON was a blow, but it wasn't completely out of the blue and he had three months to prepare for it.  That preparation seems to have been weighted (no pun intended) around rehabilitating the fat lad.  Surprise surprise his impact has been less than meaningful and we have been toothless up front. 

Knowing as he did that we would lose Kodjia, why not opt for an insurance loan?  By all means focus on shifting Gestede and the rest to ultimately bring in Hogan or whoever. But don't leave your promotion chances in the hands of a player who has had about five decent games since 2010. 

• Like 1

I don't want Steve Bruce to be our manager next season.

This season is over anyway so let him see if he can get some resemblance of a team going and then thank him for trying his best during difficult albeit financially favorable circumstances.

Don't dislike him, I just don't rate him, and never have.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Trouble is Mark, the decent performances have stopped and the mostly just so so ones have bitten the dust too. 

We played well for 45 minutes against Preston. We did OK vs Leeds. We scraped a win on Boxing Day vs Burton. That's it, in almost 2 months. His players or not, I do not accept that they are not better than this. Even Di Matteo had them playing better than this and as you rightly point out, he was clueless and he was sacked for similar results. 

So 135 minutes ago we played well.

Dave I acknowledge we have been dire recently especially away from home. I am simply offering up reasons for why that me be. 

The crap served up last night may not have had too much to do with the crap that has gone before away from home. That was a completely new midfield. Trying to get to know each other and the guys up top and behind them. In a game. We could argue maybe he should have gone with Gardner or Grealish but the only way the players are going to have any chance of gelling and looking like a cohesive unit is by playing together. That is why I now want to see him put out his best 11, and he must have one in mind, and in a formation that he must have planned to use having signed the players, and retained the players, he has. He then needs to stick with them regardless of some likely teething problems as without a settled side and formation we will continue to look a like a decent squad on paper but never play like a team.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Since Brighton they have been coached by Colin calderwood - do you think he is one of the factors in our demise or just coincidental?

If I remember rightly, when he was appointed he said it's a new type of role for him as he will be leading training, something he had never done before!

It was the same system @markavfc40 that we have been watching week in week out, particularly away from home. It's a false narrative to suggest that it is down to the players, IMO. 

Some of them clearly shouldn't be playing at the moment and that has hopefully been addressed. By the same token, he's making Chester and Baker look bad, two players I am confident, aren't. 

It's the system that is wrong, bottom line for me. If the system stays the same then we could be in real trouble. He needs to look at himself and change it. Fingers crossed he will do so, Saturday is coming up quick and if they set up the same we will lose.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Mark - I won't quote the whole post - you say our points tally is okay since he arrived. As with other points you've raised there, I don't agree. I think that's a poor return overall, and 11 from the last ten games is appalling.

Terry I didn't say it was okay I said it wasn't a total disaster and it wasn't given what went before.

11 points from 10 games is poor though and towards the level that got his predecessor the sack. The difference being RDM did it with a squad he spunked 50 mill on and had a pre season to work with.  Bruce has done it with some one else's unbalanced squad that had won 1 in 12 when he inherited it. He, or those defending him, won't have that excuse now and certainly over the next 10 games I will expect a much better return and much better performances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steven123 said:

If I remember rightly, when he was appointed he said it's a new type of role for him as he will be leading training, something he had never done before!

Not exactly going well for calderwood then in that case - maybe Bruce should go back to basics with his staff .

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Terry I didn't say it was okay I said it wasn't a total disaster and it wasn't given what went before.

11 points from 10 games is poor though and towards the level that got his predecessor the sack. The difference being RDM did it with a squad he spunked 50 mill on and had a pre season to work with.  Bruce has done it with some one else's unbalanced squad that had won 1 in 12 when he inherited it. He, or those defending him, won't have that excuse now and certainly over the next 10 games I will expect a much better return and much better performances.

That's fair. It's the downturn since he started so well that concerns me more. 

In any event as you say, it's shit or get off the pot time. 

• Like 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That's fair. It's the downturn since he started so well that concerns me more. 

In any event as you say, it's shit or get off the pot time. 

That downturn seems to me connected to when calderwood arrived and started taking training - he's never worked with Bruce before and maybe it's not working - with phelan available it may be Bruce needs to reevaluate his staff .

I was for Bruce in October, but by no means enthusiastically. 

Just a pragmatic acceptance that his joyless boofball does seem to have garned results at this level, and his record of success at Championship level at least was superior to the other names in the frame.

I liked (like) the cut of Wagner's jib, and he was the most intriguing option.  But my fear there was our cynical, entitled senior pros would have just knocked the enthusiasm out of him.  Imagine trying to explain the gegenpress to Agbonlahor, Richards and co, as they look on in bewilderment, or just stonewall you with vacant shit-eating grins. 

No, I reasoned that Bruce had been around the block a few times,  and had called out chancers (Ben Arfa plus others) in the past when he needed to.  A better fit for where we are right now. 

But the things that I thought he would bring as a minimum (a plan, shape and taking a hard line on senior pros who see football as an optional extra) he isn't delivering on, so I might revise that. 

We can't bin him now though.  It would cement our status as the loony bin of football.  Give him every possible chance to succeed or fail. A reasonable (not even great) end to the season and you can make a case for the side needing to knit together and give him a run at it again next year. 

• Like 1

Steve Bruce may have his detractors on his football style and he is no Arsene Wenger when it comes to expansive football.......but that team last night was NOT typical of a Steve Bruce team.

Steve Bruce is synonymous with fight and endeavour, industry and a scrapping mentality......you know you have been in a game with his teams.

I seen none of that last night.

Â