Next Villa Manager

Richard

7 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

So we will let Bruce buy in his players and once we are finally promoted, then we have bought about 30 players in this league and looking for a new manager who will wan't to bring his own team in again? I'd rather look for something more stable (which imo is what we have lacked the most lately) every time we hire a new manager we end up with a bomb squad, limiting our funds and creating negative atmosphere in the team, I'd rather something stable who builds a proper squad for years to come. 4 past promotions is not a guarantee of any kind that we will get promoted under Bruce. And there have been PLENTY of younger managers or foreign managers that have been promoted these lasts seasons. Look at the top of the table, how many clubs there have experienced championship managers ? Leaving out Hughton of the top 6 in the league, the managers have a combined about 3 seasons championship experience with one promotion between them (Neil, who got promoted with Norwich with no prior experience) 

Borrowing problems from tomorrow 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He spent about enough to finish midtable. Which he did, twice. 

Thought he was there 18months - 13th first season, sacked second?  Whatever, doesn't matter.  Some want Bruce (short-term fix), some want Wagner or other similar type (long-term), lets see what the board decide. I'll get behind whoever with varying levels of excitement.  Results and performances on the pitch will be the ultimate decider. 

• Like 1

Get Bruce in: he can make us solid (if unspectacular) difficult to beat and we pick up points along the way. Once (if ) he gets us promoted he can maybe have a season in the prem (he will have earnt it) or Wagner/ whoever- can come in and take us further (if their still flavour of the month. 

Its a no brainer for me  

Edited by chrisvilla4
Ironically spelt brainer wrong!

Just now, chrisvilla4 said:

Get Bruce in: he can make us solid (if unspectacular) difficult to beat and we pick up points along the way.

We' been been picking up points, we have to WIN and win a lot to have any chance this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Thought he was there 18months - 13th first season, sacked second?  Whatever, doesn't matter.  Some want Bruce (short-term fix), some want Wagner or other similar type (long-term), lets see what the board decide. I'll get behind whoever with varying levels of excitement.  Results and performances on the pitch will be the ultimate decider. 

He finished 10th, 13th then was sacked the following November. 

09/10 - 10th

10/11 - 13th

11/12 - sacked. 

Not sure Bruce is really the way to go, his team scrapped into the playoffs on like the last day of the season iirc correctly, then sneaked the play off win.

Obviously a promotion is a promotion, but surely his Hull team that he took down and spent a fair bit on should've done better then scraping 6th place.

Maybe I'm just being harsh and a bit Anti-Bruce, but it just doesn't fill me with excitement or hope. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Not sure Bruce is really the way to go, his team scrapped into the playoffs on like the last day of the season iirc correctly, then sneaked the play off win.

Obviously a promotion is a promotion, but surely his Hull team that he took down and spent a fair bit on should've done better then scraping 6th place.

Maybe I'm just being harsh and a bit Anti-Bruce, but it just doesn't fill me with excitement or hope. 

Unless we play our cards right.

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I'd rather take 60% chance of promotion, 35% chance of stagnation and 5% chance of dross under Bruce than 45% chance of promotion, 45% chance of stagnation and 10% chance of dross under Wagner.

My concern with Bruce is, it will feel like another McLeish type appointment. It will turn many fans away and cause of the connections with Birmingham if things go wrong early on the fans will be on his back straight away. Vital for the club they get a man they know the fans will back on his. No matter what Bruce will do, he'll still be disliked at the end of day.

5 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I've done a bit of research on this...

They spent £25m net in the summer of 14/15. £40m out, £15m in.

That's a fair chunk granted. Three of the bigger signings were Hernandez (£10m), Snodgrass (£7m) and Diame (£4m). Snodgrass spent most of the season injured. It obviously didn't work out. They finished 18th on 35 points.

The following summer they made a £25m profit, so all that money back. Then got promoted. 

4 minutes ago, Godders said:

I'd rather take 60% chance of promotion, 35% chance of stagnation and 5% chance of dross under Bruce than 45% chance of promotion, 45% chance of stagnation and 10% chance of dross under Wagner.

I'd rather take a 75.02% chance of promotion under Wagner rather than the 60.53% chance of promotion under Bruce. On another note the 35% chance of promotion under McClaren is, imo, laughably high. I mean—who actually makes up these percentages?

Ok that was my attempt at satire. But you're making up figures. It's impressive how well Wagner has Huddersfield playing and there is no mathematical equation on this planet that could compare Bruce and Wagner's chances of getting us promoted. 

Ok maybe I can do it...whoever it is we have about a 15% chance at promotion at best, I think. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Having initially wanted Bruce I'm now sold on the idea of Wagner, sadly I think we will end up with Bruce.

You'll be sad to end up with the manager you initially wanted? 

Unless I've misunderstood, that's weird. 

3 minutes ago, NuneatonVilla said:

My concern with Bruce is, it will feel like another McLeish type appointment. It will turn many fans away and cause of the connections with Birmingham if things go wrong early on the fans will be on his back straight away. Vital for the club they get a man they know the fans will back on his. No matter what Bruce will do, he'll still be disliked at the end of day.

Imagine if he is successful though, people will warm to him - especially if he turns the Blues over in a few weeks time and pushes us up the table. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

When you call Wagner and the like 'long term' you must also account for the fact that there's a much higher risk of failure in both the short AND the long term. 

It should be Bruce (less risk) or Wagner (higher risk). The only reward on my mind right now is being back in the PL. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Imagine if he is successful though, people will warm to him - especially if he turns the Blues over in a few weeks time and pushes us up the table. 

Yes but what happens if we lose to the Blues and only finish mid table!? Look when he was up at Sunderland, no matter what he could do he was disliked cause of being a geordie. Who says he wants to come, he might turn round and say I want a premier league job!? The stoke job may soon come vacant.

Edited by NuneatonVilla