Next Villa Manager

Richard

6 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Bruce for me.

But I have to say that the more important question really is, why cant a team with the players we already have win games ? As far as the team goes we must be in the top 3 in the championship so why cant we win games ? is it the wrong tactics, players in the wrong position or what ?

What can the next manager do to get this lot firing on all cylinders ?

33303626.jpg

Yes, our new manager needs to have a clue about tactics.  I do wonder how much influence Clarke had over team selections, or did he just sit back in utter amazement just nodding his head and saying "yeah Robbie that looks perfect".

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

I get that logic.  I do.  It's what I would have said about Remi Garde (before he ballsed it up).  But Wagner has come in and got a relatively mediocre Huddersfield Town sitting atop the Championship.  That's what has convinced me that we need to get him before that ship sails.  Which it will pretty quickly IMO.  I imagine if some Premier League clubs start dumping their managers then Wagner with his Dortmund CV will be very high up on their wishlists too.  Basically if we don't go for him now, then I suspect we'll never get him.

All good points BOF and I agree. I like him, like the way they play and his background. 

Problem is he appears to play quick, technical, passing football. We don't have the team for that IMO, therefore he will struggle a bit to begin with (like Klopp did with Liverpool in the league until he could change personnel) and he'll be out before the Jan window. 

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I'm not saying that being a protégé automatically makes you as good.  He is actually on top of the league we're trying (badly) to win, and he's doing it with a midtable team. The whole Dortmund thing is only 'by the by' but it does make him that bit more intriguing.  Anyway, that's my case made.  Let's see who we end up with.

No....Equally i was taking you point, just being devils advocate.

Wagner could be good.....but is it just circumstantial.....one swallow and all that.

just an observation, when we played them I thought we did ok bar for an individual error.....but they have got better and we got worse.

I think Bruce is more rounded.......in more ways than one.:)

• Like 1

Instead of choosing who would be our favorite manager right now, unfortunately I think we need to look at it a bit more business like..

We need a certain type of manager to get our squad working and promoted,  then as much as I dislike it if we do get promoted we need to replace them straight away with a different type of manager...

Someone like bruce/fat sam/Warnok would do the first job well,  then onto someone Wagner later once promoted.

I heard someone once say on the radio you need 3 squads,  one to get promoted from the championship,  another to stabilize in the prem,  then another to push for anything...

This probably needs 3 different types of manager also.

We need to focus on what we need now - not what we would like in the prem.

By the way I can't stand Warnok but like a previous poster mentioned do you think our squad would get away with poor performances if he was waiting for them afterwards?

Edited by richp999
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Bruce for me.

But I have to say that the more important question really is, why cant a team with the players we already have win games ? As far as the team goes we must be in the top 3 in the championship so why cant we win games ? is it the wrong tactics, players in the wrong position or what ?

What can the next manager do to get this lot firing on all cylinders ?

Play some midfielders?

7 minutes ago, KHV said:

Because most of them are crap

They arent crap.  Its because we appoint managers who have a softly softly approach.  Time for a tough Task Master.  Warnock or McCarthy realistically. 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Phelan? Is that a joke?

Keep sacking managers every 10 or so games and the choices will start to get about as funny as a terminal illness. 

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

Keep sacking managers every 10 or so games and the choices will start to get about as funny as a terminal illness. 

Being completely incapable of winning a football match is no longer funny. It's on the next guy to change that.

• Like 1