Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

14 hours ago, limpid said:

But if we start the day it's agreed, and assuming that we have a contractor ready to go, it'll take two years to build, with less revenue.

It'll be such an easy sell for the big clubs though, that they are doing it for the fans. How could any of the CEOs be seen to be against that?

Price caps ina by form are terrible idea and bad overall. Price is information about scarcity of something. Nobody who ever has a season ticket would ever let it go you could just make a fortune off selling games on Viagogo if the demand for it was significantly higher the the fixed price cap. 

If we have enough consistent demand we have to increase supply by increasing capacity in stadium and by increasing ticket prices and finding the right balance of both. 

3 hours ago, limpid said:

I hope so. If I've thought of it, I guarantee others have.

Given previous PL voting issues have required a majority of 14 of the 20 clubs, I'd be surprised if an average price cap on home ticket was agreed to. It's one thing to 'do the right thing' and agree a £30 cap for the small minority that away fans represent, but capping home ticket prices would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas. Really can't imagine the London clubs being happy at anything less than an average of £80!

Edited by brommy
Grammar.

19 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not sure I understand what that means Sid? Sorry. 

Highlighting the carriage return buttons.

You posted a pretty big post with a wall of unbroken test.  Makes it difficult and onerous to read.  I was just pulling your leg by pointing out you might like to insert a paragraph or two in it.  Sorry.

6 hours ago, brommy said:

Given previous PL voting issues have required a majority of 14 of the 20 clubs, I'd be surprised if an average price cap on home ticket was agreed to. It's one thing to 'do the right thing' and agree a £30 cap for the small minority that away fans represent, but capping home ticket prices would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas. Really can't imagine the London clubs being happy at anything less than an average of £80!

I think an £80 cap sounds about right if it was proposed.

23 minutes ago, limpid said:

I think an £80 cap sounds about right if it was proposed.

I wonder for how long though. That's unlikely to curtail our ticket income for years but I expect the London clubs would be affected before long.

1 minute ago, brommy said:

I wonder for how long though. That's unlikely to curtail our ticket income for years but I expect the London clubs would be affected before long.

RPI linked. The clubs with large grounds won't care as long as it's giving them an advantage.

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

RPI linked. The clubs with large grounds won't care as long as it's giving them an advantage.

If the cap is worth any value it needs to be lower than the highest clubs charge. Surely that will 'cap' the income of Sky6 before it affects us. Obviously more seats helps, but that's the case now with or without a cap.

2 hours ago, brommy said:

If the cap is worth any value it needs to be lower than the highest clubs charge. Surely that will 'cap' the income of Sky6 before it affects us. Obviously more seats helps, but that's the case now with or without a cap.

The cap would need to be linked to your turnover. So if eg your turnover is in the top 6 in the PL, your cap is £200 per ticket. 

If below that line your cap is £10.  Seems fair. 

• Haha 3

On 26/01/2024 at 06:22, limpid said:

How could any of the CEOs be seen to be against that?

Because maths.

Any club with a capacity smaller than demand knows being able to raise ticket prices is free money. Why would Arsenal object to a (say) £40 limit on ticket price? Because they could sell them for £80. They’re competing not just with Spurs or City or Villa, but Bayern and PSG etc for players and trophies and…

Clubs are greed machines. So for Villa and VP, we probably need to join that greed bandwagon, and not doing the ground might well hold us back in the long run.

edit: and just to expand on this, various clubs have spent absolute billions on ground expansions and so on in order to be able to both charge more per seat and to have more seats. Villa were on the same trajectory, until Heck changed his mind, but the maths argument says strongly “invest in seats/facilities, reap the income.”  No one is gonna vote to put a limit on ticket prices, having just spent half a billion on creating a money suction facility.

In terms of VP, and expansion I don’t think worry about a PL limit on home ticket prices remotely comes into the equation. 

We have a fab location with character as it is with acres of space behind the North Stand to do what we want basically in terms of retail etc 

Something special in autumn when you can see the trees on Aston Park in between the Holte and Trinity. A beautiful unique place.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

How?  No railway stations. We've currently got 2 and people moan about those. 

Aston station is just under a mile away … well serviced by established bus routes to and from the centre, not in a highly built up residential area … Just pondering 

It's be fascinating to know the ratios between GA ticketing and hospitality in terms of the income each stadium generates. 

If you consider the cap on tickets that people have been talking about here, you'd have to assume that it would only be related to GA seating - so I guess at the highest end of those clubs that make more from hospitality it wouldn't make much difference. I'd imagine that if you restricted Chelsea to selling tickets at £30 they'd simply put their hospitality seats up by an amount to cover that - they're the side that I can imagine are most likely to make more from their hospitality seating than their regular seating, and therefore, I guess it would affect them less. 

I wonder also how the sadly lost new North Stand would have affected those ratios at Villa Park - how much more of a hospitality presence it would have brought to the stadium, and the degree to which the confidence in selling those tickets is a part of the decision to not go ahead.

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

The obvious plot for a new multi-use stadium  would be Star City… 

https://news.completelyretail.co.uk/star-city-goes-on-the-market-for-65m/

It's blocked off along one side by a river and a motorway and has only one road serving it - nearest railway station is further from Star City than Perry Barr train station is from Villa Park, I think it'd be a very difficult site to use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's blocked off along one side by a river and a motorway and has only one road serving it - nearest railway station is further from Star City than Perry Barr train station is from Villa Park, I think it'd be a very difficult site to use.

Yes but half time popcorn , crazy golf and then a kick about at Goals at full time…..

• Like 2

On 26/01/2024 at 16:17, sidcow said:

Highlighting the carriage return buttons.

You posted a pretty big post with a wall of unbroken test.  Makes it difficult and onerous to read.  I was just pulling your leg by pointing out you might like to insert a paragraph or two in it.  Sorry.

No problem Sid I do usually break down what a write into paragraphs, as others  not doing it bugs me too! So my Appologies and thanks! 👍

On 26/01/2024 at 21:59, sidcow said:

.  Seems fair.

Fair? You’re expecting fair? What is this madness you speak of? This is the Sky created and operated PL, let there be no more of this talk please! 🤣

Wonder if Heck is looking at Newport and thinking of shoving extra temporary seats in for a quick fix. 

In terms of star city and its relative failure, it does highlight the area around Aston and the difficulty in promoting a multi-use facility to get the punters in. That was going to be part  of the original 'vllla live' part of the now-dead application.

Â