Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The upstairs will be interesting - it's currently empty but used for storage and might be something they could consider using. Access would have to be on the side of the building facing The Warehouse I think, but that might suit. The upstairs is pretty much derelict - hasn't been in use for anything for a decade or so in so far as I'm aware.

The question (I guess like the North Stand itself) is how much money do they want to plough into a building that isn't fit for purpose. 

I think the money will be there if the figures stack up which I’ll be very surprised if they don’t. It needs replacing if we’re to grow our commercial revenues no questions and has been massively underinvested in other than a refit every few years. Maybe they’ll build a whole new building adjacent / attached to the warehouse as there is plenty of flat space. 

IMG_9441.jpeg

I can't see them spending a massive amount on that building - it needs to go and it should over the next few year, regardless of the North Stand development.

I think in the short term we'll see it take over the ticket office, doubling the frontage and adding lots of extra space, but I'm not sure we'll see a lot more than that - I think you'd have to consider any development in that building as almost temporary.

• Like 1

I think, but I'm not sure that there's still the intention to use the warehouse building as an entertainment venue on non-matchdays - gigs for a couple of thousand people, Digbeth dining club style things and so on. I think it could be a really good space.

Every time I go to an away ground each club store is better than ours. And that includes most of the championship clubs when we were down there. It is a dreadful dated building which hasn't been fit for purpose for about 20 years. Like the North Stand in fact.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Lets just build a new ground and new club shop. 

We have acres of space behind the current North to do those things we need. We Don't need to go spending the guys of a Billion on a new site, new ground etc when £100m would do the job we need.

Now we're no longer unbeaten in our fortress, can we risk knocking down the North stand? Or is it still the 200 empty single seats that noone previously knew existed that make it non-viable?

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Now we're no longer unbeaten in our fortress, can we risk knocking down the North stand? Or is it still the 200 empty single seats that noone previously knew existed that make it non-viable?

I’ve been thinking that club would have been idiots to have cancelled the stadium redevelopment based on us wanting us to have a good atmosphere in the CL only for us to miss out on said CL a few months later.

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

I’ve been thinking that club would have been idiots to have cancelled the stadium redevelopment based on us wanting us to have a good atmosphere in the CL only for us to miss out on said CL a few months later.

If I was a superstitious footballer I would absolutely have hated what Heck said in that interview. 

It's just as well our home form continued to be so good immediately after.

D'oh!

On 29/01/2024 at 20:16, OutByEaster? said:

Hopefully that can just be moved into the new academy building - that's a bigger and better space for it - the problem being the need for the cut through under the railway.

Is the cut through under the railway dependant on the the station being upgraded by West Mids authority, or can it just be done separately by Villa/BCC/WMA?

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Is the cut through under the railway dependant on the the station being upgraded by West Mids authority, or can it just be done separately by Villa/BCC/WMA?

It's part of the station revamp I think - villa definitely can't do it, the club don't own any of the land that would be involved. It's worth remembering that Villa spent more than a decade trying really hard to let the railway authorities allow us to paint the bridge over Witton Lane and couldn't get that done - the clubs influence is limited. Hopefully we're still on good terms with the mayor.

12 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Or is it still the 200 empty single seats that noone previously knew existed that make it non-viable?

Yes, 74 of those seats are still unsold so no new North stand for us.

10 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

That was just a lame excuse for the real reason why it's been canned- which they haven't really said yet. Leading to lots of conjecture by us.

15 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

That was just a lame excuse for the real reason why it's been canned- which they haven't really said yet. Leading to lots of conjecture by us.

Which was exactly the point I was originally making.

It would  clearly be idiotic to base such a monumental project on such a short term thought process. Which clearly Heck wouldn't do. And why we all cited it as a terrible reason when he mentioned it. 

Highlighting it based on current events seemed appropriate. I doubt we'll hear anymore from him though.

Interesting that I saw the main twitter account post about last minute availability for our Newcastle game, first time I've seen them do that.  So clearly they've realised the 200 unsold seats were down largely to awareness rather than appetite. Any remaining are because people don't want to go on their own, not because they don't want to go.

• Like 1

On a slightly different topic what has happened to the proposed rail seating in the upper holte? Thought it would be installed this season? Having gone to Chelsea with the rail seats in the shed end it reminded that we were supposed to be doing this. The club also needs to do more disabled seating regardless of any stadium expansion or not as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

On a slightly different topic what has happened to the proposed rail seating in the upper holte? Thought it would be installed this season? Having gone to Chelsea with the rail seats in the shed end it reminded that we were supposed to be doing this. The club also needs to do more disabled seating regardless of any stadium expansion or not as well. 

I believe it was recently mentioned this is being completed in the summer.

20 minutes ago, imavillan said:

hope you've got a tin hat ready🤣

As much as we all love Villa Park for what it is it is too restrictive and dated.

The DE and the NS are well dated and are not fan friendly.

We all know we are already way behind the so called top clubs and arguably will we ever catch up or get close to them. But to move forward with modern times we definitely need a new stadium.

I'd be all for it.

Even the Trinity stand is really dated and not up to scratch.  I'd knock it down and rebuild it if cash wasn't an issue.

If our owners want to compete at the very top of domestic & European football for a sustainedperiod of time & it very much seems they do, then seeing how other clubs operate & also seeing how much revenue Spurs are producing in there new stadium 🏟  surely it has entered there thoughts on a new stadium. Maybe that could be why there is a pause on the Noryh stand they could be making sure it's the right option as in as soon as the North stand starts, then new stadium is a no go, just a thought.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allani said:

Just reading a bit more on this - the stadium is owned by Comcast who sold the naming rights to Wells Fargo.  But a couple of interesting additions - some stadium features were funded by other companies - so for example the scoreboard was purchased by and branded as Comcast, I think all the HDTVs, etc (on concourses and in executive boxes) were also all paid for / sponsored by one of Comcast's partners.  Also they changed their ticket provider from Ticketmaster to New Era Tickets - who are owned by..... Comcast.

There seems to be just a few too many connections there for this to be coincidence... 

Couple this with the comments Heck made about the player's tunnel and wanting to make better use of it - I'm also certain that there is revenue to be made by doing that in terms of both fans paying to be in the tunnel pre / post games AND through additional sponsorship.  I mean at the moment you might pay for a couple of strategically placed logos but if there's more made about that specific part of the stadium then why not sell naming rights over it.  I doubt it is something that we've exploited that well - whereas it sounds like the kind of thing that Comcast / Atairos / Heck are much more acquainted with.

Â