Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

it's a difficult one, as I believe a new stadium and location is out the question. Even if we went for a flashy refurb with extra capacity, not trying to be out of order, but it wouldn't really sit in with the surrounding areas, as Aston Hall Road and Witton Road high streets are not really Notting Hill, so surely these areas would be expected to have investment too, something BCC may have wanted to do before they got skint.

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

we could have an excellent location if they sorted out the infrastructure around the ground

as it is the trains don't work because they aren't frequent enough, the roads are congested, personally I think the club should do more in terms of making walking and cycling a viable option from the city centre

It badly needed a tram extension a decade ago.

Enough space down the Lichfield Road for a few stops for VP for similar distance from Aston Station, have a terminus at Star City.

However given nothing really was down for the Commonwealth games bar knocking down the flyover on the A34 you're talking decades if at all given the snail pace they're currently construction the extension down past Digbeth.

In an ideal world I'd love a new ground somewhere around the Jewellery Quarter. Probably nowhere near enough space but you have tram line, its own station (and Snow Hill is only 10-15 minutes away) and many excellent pubs to create a nice matchday atmosphere walking up. And it's still very close to Aston so would still feel like home.

That really would have to be key for any new ground, put it somewhere so 25-30k aren't coming by car which is the big issue with VP and any eventual expansion.

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

A lot of clubs are to match the revenue needs clubs have now a handful have got these revenue making machines. Otherwise we all get left behind.

its got to be a place for all week long not for once every two weeks. So business conferences and concerts etc

Precisely. That was the whole point of Villa Live as a concept.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Precisely. That was the whole point of Villa Live as a concept.

Which is still happening. Just not as an originally envisioned…. Always disliked the plans for Villa Live anyhow so glad it was binned myself. 

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Which is still happening. Just not as an originally envisioned…. Always disliked the plans for Villa Live anyhow so glad it was binned myself. 

What's wrong with Villa Live plans? 

Looked like a cheaply designed municipal building IMO and I much prefer the warehouse concept which delivers pretty much the same benefits - same capacity etc as Villa Live, offices just not the museum or club-shop within the same space. Heck has said we’re getting a new club shop this summer. So all we lost was the museum. 

IMG_9356.jpeg

IMG_9359.webp

IMG_9358.jpeg

Edited by thabucks

Whenever I come into this thread there seems to be loads of talk about new stadia, locations etc

The club have categorically said it's not an option

• Like 1

The solution is simple. Send a team of rum chaps in to beat up the proles who refuse to leave their slum housing by the ground. Build a massive new extension on each stand, fill in the corners. Put a Waitrose somewhere close, improve the train station and perhaps add another, improve the car parking, improve the vulgar entertainment and food and drinkeries around the stadium, build less vulgar accommodation around the outer stadium and move better people in. And a helipad. Then charge twice the price for admission, and buy some overrated useless rocket polishers who phone it in. Open the new refurbished megaplaza with a 5 star show from some gobshite who has his own brand of trainer / headphones , fragrance.

Bish, bash, bosh!

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Whenever I come into this thread there seems to be loads of talk about new stadia, locations etc

The club have categorically said it's not an option

I know, but the club have also categorically said we are getting a new stand (and spent 10s of thousands of £ into designs etc).

It's a conversation, and the sudden change of direction is, at the very least, thought provoking. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I know, but the club have also categorically said we are getting a new stand (and spent 10s of thousands of £ into designs etc).

It's a conversation, and the sudden change of direction is, at the very least, thought provoking. 

It's a lot bigger decision to build a stadium than to cancel the redevelopment of a stand. They're not just going to pull one out of a hat. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's a lot bigger decision to build a stadium than to cancel the redevelopment of a stand. They're not just going to pull one out of a hat. 

It is, but cancelling a development of a stand is a rather big decision too - you could say 25% as big!

In my opinion, something is in the works, but what it is I have no idea. Maybe they prefer to do some work with Witton? Who knows. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It is, but cancelling a development of a stand is a rather big decision too - you could say 25% as big!

In my opinion, something is in the works, but what it is I have no idea. Maybe they prefer to do some work with Witton? Who knows. 

We can't actually put a number on this comparison of course, but no, I wouldn't say 25% as big. Cancelling a project is always a much smaller task than doing one. 

We have a stadium now. To get a new one we would need to acquire land, put in planning permission, and build it (in the worst climate for new stadium construction there has ever been). It would take the thick end of a decade and probably cost over a billion pounds. It just isn't going to happen and I don't know why people keep wasting time talking about it. 

EDIT: As for the Witton, there's no planning permission for anything to do with that and options are greatly limited by the road and housing behind it. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We can't actually put a number on this comparison of course, but no, I wouldn't say 25% as big. Cancelling a project is always a much smaller task than doing one. 

We have a stadium now. To get a new one we would need to acquire land, put in planning permission, and build it (in the worst climate for new stadium construction there has ever been). It would take the thick end of a decade and probably cost over a billion pounds. It just isn't going to happen and I don't know why people keep wasting time talking about it. 

EDIT: As for the Witton, there's no planning permission for anything to do with that and options are greatly limited by the road and housing behind it. 

I agree - take this conversation a little 'easier'.

We know the club said no. We know the club can change minds. We know there are no planning permissions.

It's a BS chat. Who knows what will happen. It's just fun to discuss options. One thing is for certain - something has to change in the next 5-10 years. Otherwise we will really stay behind the pack. 

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1

The club have consistently said from the first announcement of the new north stand they plan to add an extra 3’000 seats as part of phase two so unsure why some doubt the club on that… it’s odd. I mean I’d get it why some would question it of Heck had said it - but it’s been the clubs line since Purslow and not sure NSWE would allow the CEO to peddle false info just for the sake of it and to tease 

Edited by thabucks

23 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The frustration for me with this redevelopment is the communication. There are several plausible reasons why they could have cancelled the project, but since it's been communicated very poorly, into the vacuum of information has poured all these theories about 'oh we're building a new stadium' or 'oh we'll be filling in the corners or redeveloping the Witton' or whatever. The overwhelming likelihood is that we're going to do nothing at all; as @OutByEaster? has indicated, it's not even clear they're going to seriously try - or would be able to, even if they did - to find the extra couple of thousand seats that they've claimed. 

They just should have been more open and honest about the decision-making process. 

We should get a branding expert in to resolve these issues. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

The club have consistently said from the first announcement of the new north stand they plan to add an extra 3’000 seats as part of phase two so unsure why some doubt the club on that… it’s odd. I mean I’d get it why some would question it of Heck had said it - but it’s been the clubs line since Purslow and not sure NSWE would allow the CEO to peddle false info just for the sake of it and to tease 

The reason to doubt it is it's really not clear where they would go. 

EDIT: Also, to go beyond this, we need to make *more* space available for disabled attendees, which is going to have a negative impact on capacity, so a net gain of 3000 seats will mean adding more than 3000 seats. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Â