Germany v England

andykeenan

11 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It was a very good England performance from 0-2 down, but what happened to Germany? They completely switched off and Dier's goal was an embarrassment for the defending (no pun intended) world champions of football.

I though Vardy was a flash in the pan tbh but his finish tonight has made re reassess a few things....

They'd never have lost that 2-0 lead in a competitive game imo but basically their back 4 post Lahm just isn't that good, they massively miss his quality and leadership there.

That's the template to beat Germany this summer, go out and attack them and you will score goals.

For me Rooney still gets a place in the squad but not in starting line up.

Ali looks a natural at international football.A midfield of him, dier, Barkley and one other is the way forward, supplementing a front two of Kane and vardy.

Defensively very weak. Cahill looks shaky and whilst I don't believe the hype would still like to see stones in there. Fullback is a worry think rose will be targeted by the ball over the top (look at the second Germany goal, it can from rose missing a header).

1. France

2. Belgium (I know it seems fashionable to slag them off atm but still got a quality first 11 and excellent options off the bench which not ever major nation has)

3. Germany

4. Spain (Fantastic midfield as ever even after losing Xavi and Xabi Alonso but just don't think they have the quality of striker this time to win the tournament).

Those are my 4 to reach the semi finals and ranked in order of who will win. Tbf I haven't studied who'll actually meet who in the knock outs so don't know if any of them can meet in the quarters or anything. To me those are the four best teams in the tournament in terms of experience and quality.

I'd place England in the next category along with Portugal and Italy. Probable quarter finalists but if the stars align could go further, it is the euros after all.

12 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

This.

Young, likeable team.

Will go back to hating them when Rooney and Wilshere inevitably come back in the XI.

Walcott too.

I found yesterday very refreshing. Kane and Vardy look comfortable and not out of depth on the international stage too.

Unfortunately I do think Rooney and Wilshere will come back in.

I think you are slightly underselling us Chris. I honestly believe we are better than Belgium now. Yes they maybe stronger at the back but they will miss De Bruyne hugely if he's not fit and Hazard has been pretty ordinary. I would take our forward players over theres anyday. Germany are strong in competitions but they have been poor since the world cup. 

Edited by PaulC

I think Spain will struggle. They don't have a striker good enough for this level, Costa is ridiculously bad at international level. I don't think Albacar is up to it either. There will also be big problems is Casillas plays, he's woefully shit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think you are slightly underselling us Chris. I honestly believe we are better than Belgium now. Yes they maybe stronger at the back but they will miss De Bruyne hugely if he's not fit and Hazard has been pretty ordinary. I would take our forward players over theres anyday. Germany are strong in competitions but they have been poor since the world cup. 

Belgium have a better centre half partnership than England, Toby (arguably the best defender in the premier league imo) and Vertongthen have been rocks for Spurs this season.

I think the thing you have to remember about Belgium is just the depth of squad they have. I remember in the world cup they were struggling and losing to Algeria with 20 minutes to go. Bring on Fellani and he scores and sets up the winner within 5 minutes.

As much maligned as they are, with 20 mins left not too many defensive are going to be that keen to see Fellani and Benteke come on to join Lukaku in attack, that would be a very bruising end to the game.

Ok so the best two cbs in the Premier League this season against the best two strikers in the Premier League this season. I know it doesn't work out that simply but I really thought Belgium were underwhelming in the world cup and it might be a golden generation but theres something holding them back from fufilling their potential. maybe the manager! Wales beat them!

Edited by PaulC

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Just because I was wrong about this game doesn't mean it doesn't ring true about Hodgson's tenure overall.

Yes but now he has players who can hurt the opposition maybe we'll see a more adventurous Hodgson

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wales have some very good players in their own right, if they all stay fit they'll qualify from the group no problem imo and will be a dangerous floater in the knock outs, same as Austria and maybe Poland.

Even so Belgium failed to beat Wales at home too which to me doesn't suggest they are one of the favs. i do agree Wales are a dangerous team. Could easily make the semis.

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes but now he has players who can hurt the opposition maybe we'll see a more adventurous Hodgson

I'll believe it when I see it. I think they only look fresh and adventurous now because Hodgson hasn't molded them yet into his dour style. By the World Cup I'm sure they'll have had the excitement sucked out of them.

Encouraging signs but its only a friendly but was good to see an attacking brand of football. Whether Roy carries on with that in the Euros or goes back to his dour normal style remains to be seen. Vardy and Kane should the strike force with Dier, Drinkwater, Barkley and Ali in midfield. 

I imagine come the Euros then Rooney, Wilshire, Milner, etc will all be back in the frame

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

2. Belgium (I know it seems fashionable to slag them off atm but still got a quality first 11 and excellent options off the bench which not ever major nation has)

Hazard, Benteke out of form and injury doubts on Kompany,Vermaelen, De Bruyne and Verthongen and the bizarre continual playing of Fellaini. Only Dembele and Lukaku have really had good seasons