Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

The other thing is I trust Brian Little to know a bit about these things and not advise hiring a turkey. The "football board" should also know more about the character and temperament of potential managers beyond what we know. So I will get behind whoever they appoint.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think the board are acutely aware of the fact that it is important to get in someone who knows the league - Moyes has been out of it for too long. 

Pearson will stand out for the board due to the fact that the other candidates with recent/current Champo are gainfully employed and therefore it's far cheaper and less messy to get him in. You can add that to the fact that the last manager struggled because he wasn't an authoritarian, whereas Pearson ostensibly loves giving a bollocking and the players seem to respect him (through fear or otherwise). He's also fully fresh from the time out and has a point to prove after getting let go by Leicester. 

He ticks a lot of boxes. 

I don't know where people are getting this from. The "not being authoritarian" bit, not the struggling obviously.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

from what I have seen Pearson is the opposite of Sherwood when it comes to PASHUN (sorry guys ;)) he is very calm and collective in his interviews 

Let's hope he's the opposite of Sherwood in his managerial ability, too!

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Agree with a few posts on here about getting behind the new gaffer no matter who it is. 

With all due respect comments such as 'if so and so gets the job then im done with villa' make me question your love for the club. 

If your wife keeps shagging the milkman, plumber.....etc, how long will it be before you give up on her?

25 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I don't know where people are getting this from. The "not being authoritarian" bit, not the struggling obviously.

Hmmm really ? - Remi was very quiet and calm in interviews and on the touchline. True he could be completley different in the dressing room and turn into some snarling sargent major type....but thats unlikley IMO. I imagine he was pretty calm and considered in the dressing room.

2 hours ago, Isa said:

Moyes would have been my first choice but I accept it may always have been a long-shot. My point, however, is that if I were hired to be professionally involved a managerial selection, I'd want to draw up a shortlist based on as extensive a search as possible. Something this board, in their own words, never had any intention of doing.

So you know who you dont want but apart from a manager who might have turned us down already you dont know who you do want. So the board are rubbish and dont know what they are doing.

I don't actually think Pearson to Villa is a done deal. I think he has approached that Chris Powell geezer about becoming assistant manager with him - but not necessarily at Villa. I wouldn't count out Brucey, with his house in Solihull and his assistant already in situ 

4 hours ago, jon_c said:

I don't care about the baggage that comes with Pearson. 

I care that he's not very good.

Diabolical at every job except Leicester, where he spent a hugely disproportionate amount on wages to get them out of the Championship.

And then finished 14th in the premier league with a squad of good, hard working players that are 31 points better off with a different manager. That's nearly twice as many points as we have this season.

Imagine the magic he'll work with a sh*t squad like ours, on a budget. Like he had at Southampton and Hull.

I can't really be bothered getting into another debate with the Pearson haters but at least lets be factually correct

1, He actually didn't much manage anywhere for any length of time before Leicester, but if you actually look at all the various bits and pieces he did, his record was fine.  Not great, but certainly not 'diabolical'.

2. You mention Leicester, but what did he do there ?  Well he had 2 spells, in the first he was League One Champions in year one, and Championship play offs Year 2. 

He was then at Hull for a year and a bit and had 11th (with a Club record unbeaten away run in the middle - what we would give for one of those) and when he left to return to Leicester they were in a play off position.

Back to Leicester where they finished 9th, then got to the play offs, then won the Championship.  And Lo' this Championship winning side now look like they will win the Premier League - and in between he stabilised them in that League at 14th (something I would bite anyones arm off for in 2 years time). And only the most deliberately blind opponent to him would say he had nothing to do with their current success.  How much ?  Can be argued, but we ourselves have learnt the hard way what a year on year feeble attitude can do to a Club - what price a year on year tilt at Championships and Promotions ?

Yes they spent money - but so did a lot of other sides and managers, without the same success.

He is not Fergie. He isn't anything special.  He's just a decent manager.

But those claiming his credentials don't stack up will be hard pushed to find one, let alone more, candidate - available  - who can match his, particularly in recent years.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I can't really be bothered getting into another debate with the Pearson haters but at least lets be factually correct

1, He actually didn't much manage anywhere for any length of time before Leicester, but if you actually look at all the various bits and pieces he did, his record was fine.  Not great, but certainly not 'diabolical'.

2. You mention Leicester, but what did he do there ?  Well he had 2 spells, in the first he was League One Champions in year one, and Championship play offs Year 2. 

He was then at Hull for a year and a bit and had 11th (with a Club record unbeaten away run in the middle - what we would give for one of those) and when he left to return to Leicester they were in a play off position.

Back to Leicester where they finished 9th, then got to the play offs, then won the Championship.  And Lo' this Championship winning side now look like they will win the Premier League - and in between he stabilised them in that League at 14th (something I would bite anyones arm off for in 2 years time). And only the most deliberately blind opponent to him would say he had nothing to do with their current success.  How much ?  Can be argued, but we ourselves have learnt the hard way what a year on year feeble attitude can do to a Club - what price a year on year tilt at Championships and Promotions ?

Yes they spent money - but so did a lot of other sides and managers, without the same success.

He is not Fergie. He isn't anything special.  He's just a decent manager.

But those claiming his credentials don't stack up will be hard pushed to find one, let alone more, candidate - available  - who can match his, particularly in recent years.

Lets not forget some pretty average managers have got sides promoted from the championship. I have no confidence that any of the contenders can get us top 6 in the prem - but a decent season in the championship ? I don't think any of the main contenders stand heads and shoulders above the others in that respect.

I'm optimistic we can bounce straight back - However if that happens thats when the problems start  IMO.  (not that I don't want it to happen !) 

Edited by hippo

If it is Pearson I think the club could make a killing by selling t-shirts at the last home game - NP in sunglasses arms folded (Arnie Style)  "Well be Back"  

Forget making a killing the club should give em away for the dross we weve watched recently....

• Like 1

Reading this article made me laugh, obviously to be taken with a pinch of salt as hindsight is a wonderful thing... Rainieri the 'Anti-Pearson'

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jul/14/claudio-ranieri-leicester-city-nigel-pearson

If Leicester wanted someone nice, they’ve got him. If they wanted someone to keep them in the Premier League, then they may have gone for the wrong guy

If only Leicester had kept the nasty man, they might have had a chance to stay up!

21 minutes ago, terrytini said:

<stuff>

Good post terry - just one question:

Nigel Pearson or Roberto Martinez?

35 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't actually think Pearson to Villa is a done deal. I think he has approached that Chris Powell geezer about becoming assistant manager with him - but not necessarily at Villa. I wouldn't count out Brucey, with his house in Solihull and his assistant already in situ 

The club won't hire a manager based on where his house is.

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

If it is Pearson I think the club could make a killing by selling t-shirts at the last home game - NP in sunglasses arms folded (Arnie Style)  "Well be Back"  

Forget making a killing the club should give em away for the dross we weve watched recently....

Yeah that's a good money-making idea. Because I would absolutely buy every last one of those t-shirts and strap them and myself to a rocket and have it launched into the middle of the sun.

At this stage I'd take any other candidate over Pearson. Even Bruce, whom I also hate

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Good post terry - just one question:

Nigel Pearson or Roberto Martinez?

Out of those 2 (neither being my first choice ) I would choose Pearson.  Martinez has a good record in the lower Leagues but it is a little while ago now, and I'm not sure the way he plays his football is what we need given the players we have and the nightmare we have been through.  Whilst some players will go I think we need strengthening defensively, we need to become a tough tough side to play against - Martinez plays good football but there is morer of a question mark over him defensively.

• Like 1