The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

my party has not been nearly as successful in delivering their manifesto for me as Farage has been as delivering his manifesto for his constituents

He hasn't delivered anything for his constituents. Though an MEP he (and the rest of the UKIP clown MEPs) barely bother to vote on anything in the EU parliament - even on issues specifically in the interests of people like UK fishermen, they've just not bothered. They take the money, the expenses etc. and do next to eff all there, about from ramble on about how they don't like being part of the parliament. It's fine if people also don't want to be in the EU, but people who are paid to work there, who volunteered to do the job, got elected to represent all their consituents then takeing the absolute piss is a disgrace.

• Like 4

They actively work to disrupt the EU parliament regardless of the outcome. Take the resolution to combat the illegal trade in ivory. 6 UKIP MEP's voted against this. Farage of course being one. 

• Like 3

Exactly.

Over the three years that Nigel Farage was a member of the European Parliament Fisheries Committee, he attended one out of 42 meetings. Greenpeace research released today shows that during the three major votes to fix the flaws of the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP), Nigel Farage was in the building but failed to vote in favour of improving the legislation.

In 2013, Nigel Farage was again present but chose not to vote on the part of the reform of the CFP that introduces an obligation on governments to give more fishing quota to sustainable fishermen who contribute the most to the local, coastal economies. This would see the government giving more fishing quota to local, low impact fishing fleets, such as the fishermen featured in UKIP’s poster.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Is there an MEP who has delivered something for their constituents?

Yeah you can Google stuff yourself but a quick search told me that the one that represents the Wrekin has helped protect farmers from supermarkets and their power to squeeze. Like I say you can Google stuff yourself but a lot of MEP's have delivered important and valuable stuff for their constituents. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Is there an MEP who has delivered something for their constituents?

There’s two ways to answer that. The first is to take the Brexiter’s line, which is that clearly there must be, because the EU keeps doing things we don’t like and which suit the French and the Germans. So on that basis lots of French and German etc. MEPs must be delivering, where ours don’t. Perhaps ours are just useless or don’t bother voting? Which takes me back to the point about UKIP MEPs taking the money and doing nowt.

The more honest answer is individually they are limited in being able to deliver (as is the case with normal MPs), but collectively, yes they’ve done absolutely loads for us. Mobile phone roaming fees, ease of travel, cleaner seas and water,  consumer protection, job creation, farming subsidies, security, ease of trade...etc.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've never voted in European elections, it looks like in the south east we have 10 MEPs but I don't understand how they get elected?  I'm also unsure as to who to vote for as a remainer but not particularly a fan of the EU either.

Each EU country gets a number of MEP seats based on its size. So the UK gets about 73 MEPs. We decided that we’d do that by giving each part of the UK a number of MEPs again based on size. So the SW gets 10. Each party puts up a number of candidates in each area, or individuals can stand. So you go and vote and you pick your party or individual person if they’re not from a party. The votes are counted and the MEPs are then put in place based on PR, so if say UKIP gets 50% of the vote in the SW, they’d get 5 MEPs there, etc.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, blandy said:

He hasn't delivered anything for his constituents. Though an MEP he (and the rest of the UKIP clown MEPs) barely bother to vote on anything in the EU parliament - even on issues specifically in the interests of people like UK fishermen, they've just not bothered. They take the money, the expenses etc. and do next to eff all there, about from ramble on about how they don't like being part of the parliament. It's fine if people also don't want to be in the EU, but people who are paid to work there, who volunteered to do the job, got elected to represent all their consituents then takeing the absolute piss is a disgrace.

The kind of people who vote for him love his work to date and would vote for him again to continue it.

Unfortunately for me he has been very successful in pursuit of his goal and the goal of the people who support him. 

If you were a Brexit fan and you were deciding where to park your vote in the upcoming EU election where would you put your X having seen the track record of each of your options during this process?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The kind of people who vote for him love his work to date and would vote for him again to continue it.

Unfortunately for me he has been very successful in pursuit of his goal and the goal of the people who support him. 

If you were a Brexit fan and you were deciding where to park your vote in the upcoming EU election where would you put your X having seen the track record of each of your options during this process?

absolutely

contrast that with Labour's message, including that spectacular double speak bollocks from Adonnis

What about TIG, or Change, or the remain alliance that don't want an alliance who might go with a slogan of exit brexit? What a muddy car crash that is.

Which leaves you voting for nationalist parties or the Lib Dems.

Leave parties will win these euro elections and declare that was the second referendum.

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Yeah, I know what you’re saying. You’re right. But, big but, there’s a context thing. Farage isn’t actually selling Brexit, nor has he ever been. He’s been playing the part of a Brexit salesman. It’s an act, he’s an actor. Because he’s reciting “fantasy”, there’s no responsibility for the lines. There’s no connection to reality. He’s a conman and a snake oil salesman in political terms. When the claims he makes are shown to be bollocks, he shouts that it’s betrayal by others, not him lying. And people over and over again fall for it. He’s good at what he does, but he’s a word removed.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LondonLax said:

If you were a Brexit fan ... where would you put your X having seen the track record of each of your options during this process?

Probably on fire, in the front garden of a foreigner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Were all of the 12 in prison members of the same party?

No, not all the same party, but all the same coalition (broadly leftie) that campaign for independence.

Of course, as well as the ones in prison, there's Puigdemont in exile also.

A town in northern Spain had a mock execution of a Puigdemont effigy draped in a Catalan flag last week, the local police supplied the ammunition.

puigdemont-coripe-1_4c829f14dda6545aa3d8

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

No, not all the same party, but all the same coalition (broadly leftie) that campaign for independence.

Are they all in the same coalition now?

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Of course, as well as the ones in prison, there's Puigdemont in exile also

Didn't the vote for his party fall?

Edited by snowychap

Â