The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Profiteering gobshite - to the tune of £7mil since the referendum.

Golly.

Let's just remind ourselves.

Rees-Mogg wife’s ancestral home benefits from £7.6m state rescue

It was billed as an act of generosity — a decision that would “save” a “key piece of northern heritage” for the nation.

But Philip Hammond’s commitment in this week’s Autumn Statement to spend £7.6m on restoring Wentworth Woodhouse, England’s largest private home, also had a little-known beneficiary: the house happens to be ancestral home of the mother-in-law of Jacob Rees-Mogg, the Conservative MP who is among the chancellor’s noisiest critics.

Mr Rees-Mogg said he had no involvement in the campaign to save Wentworth Woodhouse. But after hearing the Autumn Statement in which the funding was announced, he for once dropped his criticism of Mr Hammond and described his overall budget as “excellent”.

“I liked the fact that there was only one gimmick. The fact that the gimmick was Wentworth Woodhouse I liked more,” said the backbencher, one of whose children has Wentworth as a middle name.

Financial Times

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, blandy said:

John Rentoul:

She has already in effect ruled out leaving the EU without an agreement. Some of the no-deal Brexiteers have been slow to appreciate the significance of her statement on 26 February. She promised a vote in the Commons and said: “So the UK will only leave without a deal on 29 March if there is explicit consent in this house for that outcome.”

She hasn't 'in effect' done anything other than make a statement with 'commitments' to hold votes (which are supposedly going ahead but it is important that this has been in question today - one day before the first of them is due to be held).

Anyone relying just (or so much) on a Theresa May statement to Parliament (or to anyone else, anywhere else) is making a grave error,

Back to where we were before. Taking the position that one just can't see it happening is fine, ignoring what the position is as it stands and what is necessary in order for it actually not to happen (and leaving without a deal doesn't just have to be leaving on 29th March without a deal) and relying upon something that the lying, untrustworthy Prime Minister has said is not an argument to advance.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, snowychap said:

She hasn't 'in effect' done anything other than make a statement with 'commitments' to hold votes (which are supposedly going ahead but it is important that this has been in question today - one day before the first of them is due to be held).

Anyone relying just (or so much) on a Theresa May statement to Parliament (or to anyone else, anywhere else) is making a grave error,

Back to where we were before. Taking the position that one just can't see it happening is fine, ignoring what the position is as it stands and what is necessary in order for it actually not to happen (and leaving without a deal doesn't just have to be leaving on 29th March without a deal) and relying upon something that the lying, untrustworthy Prime Minister has said is not an argument to advance.

Don't get me wrong, I don't trust her and wouldn't rely at all on just her words, even when she commits to something. That's not the reason for my view. It's a small part of why I hold my view. Nevertheless all the other aspects I've previously explained also apply. My opinion is also that to completely discount everything she says, every commitment would also be what you call a "grave error" - not because she should be trusted, but because others will ensure that she is forced to comply with her significant promises. So even if she wishes to renege, she is unlikely to be able to. As I said, if a throbber gets control, then things change. My reading is clearly different to yours, and that's fine. You may be right to apply scathing terms - grave error, ignorance. I guess time will tell.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

#mcveyfacts currently trending on twitter, some are quite amusing

Unusual to see the words McVey and facts in such close proximity.  Like seeing a golden eagle, but a little less magnificent.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't trust her and wouldn't rely at all on just her words, even when she commits to something. That's not the reason for my view. It's a small part of why I hold my view. Nevertheless all the other aspects I've previously explained also apply. My opinion is also that to completely discount everything she says, every commitment would also be what you call a "grave error" - not because she should be trusted, but because others will ensure that she is forced to comply with her significant promises. So even if she wishes to renege, she is unlikely to be able to. As I said, if a throbber gets control, then things change. My reading is clearly different to yours, and that's fine. You may be right to apply scathing terms - grave error, ignorance. I guess time will tell.

My criticism was of the inference drawn by Rentoul. He seemed to take that line out of the context in which it was made (i.e. addressing different audiences via her many faces).

Of course, discounting everything she says would be a grave error. I'm almost certain I haven't done that. She can't lie all of the time and even if she were to have been doing that then, as you say, circumstances beyond her control may mean that the lie actually turns out to be what happens.

People seem to be continually reassuring themselves because of things that are said when the actions that are actually required stilll need to take place and, also, that it's all down to the UK to decide.

Time won't tell. If we don't leave without an agreement (so we revoke A50 or a withdrawal agreement is signed) that will not mean that it was ever going to be so. And it won't mean that it will ever be so for the next time (i.e. end of transition/implementation or whatever).

10% of the UK banking industry. And the number is likely to be higher in reality.

Bloody diesel.

No wait, this isn't happening. Silly me.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

I saw a big blue Brexity bus on the way home today.  Not sure if it was pro or anti as it had turned a bit by the time I twigged what it was.  If you ask me, buses are pretty shit things to use to advertise as they're moving a lot of the time.

Well, this should do the remain cause no end of good.

Mr Blair does seem attracted to strong men in positions of power.  Though compared to his paymasters in Uzbekhistan and Saudi (boiling political opponents, and bone saws), Macron's habit of having protesters blinded and their hands shot off seems a bit feeble.

Looks like it's a best endeavours clause.

As someone who works in an industry where 'best endeavours' clauses come out when someone wants to fudge something and pray it is never needed...

Snigger.

The most significant angle of what is being said in Parliament at the moment is that Lidington is maintaining that it is impossible for them to consider delaying the vote as scheduled tomorrow even to allow for publication and analysis of the Attorney General's advice and to allow for time to have him (the AG) answer questions on that advice.

That these calls have come from those who voted against her deal from both sides (e.g. Cash and Soubry) might suggest that they're not that confident that the advice will be effusively supportive of the government's new position, the legal instrument &c.  and that any clarifications Cox may seek to give on the floor of the house might be picked apart.

It's not exactly a remarkable change in stance by the government (as regards the acceptability of delays) but it's a pretty transparent one.

• Like 1

This, apparently, is the text of the declaration:

Doesn't that say that, if discussions hit the buffers, 'there is nothing so prevent the UK from' pursuing the options that are open to it within the Withdrawal Agreement and the Protocol?

Am I missing something? Is the declaration actually merely that the UK declares that it be allowed to follow the procedures that it has already agreed together with the EU?

Edited by snowychap

Â