The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Attempts to force a second referendum failing, the EU progressing with their plans for further integration, Remain luminaries still in total meltdown.. Not long left to push and we're finally out. 

Excellent.

Except Herr Farage wants a referendum now

8 hours ago, Awol said:

Attempts to force a second referendum failing, the EU progressing with their plans for further integration, Remain luminaries still in total meltdown.. Not long left to push and we're finally out. 

Excellent.

aren’t you an ex-pat?

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Except Herr Farage wants a referendum now

What he wanted (and got) was attention. Once everyone was talking about him he rowed back within 12 hours, ludicrously denying his own words.

He’s irrelevant as Chindie said the timing alone makes a second referendum pretty much impossible. It simply ain’t happening, however much a minority of political scumbags (Blair, Mandelson, Campbell, et al) might want it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

The smugness of leave voters when the whole process is a complete disaster will baffle me for a while yet. 

The foresight of Remainers regarding negotiations that haven’t happened yet is equally baffling - though impressive.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Awol said:

The foresight of Remainers regarding negotiations that haven’t happened yet is equally baffling - though impressive.

Glad you're ok.

Thought you might have been nursing a bump on your head from the penny dropping?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xann said:

Glad you're ok.

Thought you might have been nursing a bump on your head from the penny dropping?

No mate, every day is a celebration of our approaching independence. All on track so far as I can tell. 

Just now, Awol said:

No mate, every day is a celebration of our approaching independence. All on track so far as I can tell. 

Ah - You ARE working for Putin.

Thought you'd just been duped.

48 minutes ago, Awol said:

There were a couple of  stories last week ... DB saying they wouldn’t need to relocate as many jobs as they thought , news that influential EU lawmakers are suggesting clearing houses etc should stay in the UK  ... true neither  has actually happened and it’s just speculation , but that doesn’t usually stop ever other piece of speculation being reported .... guess it was far too important to focus on a hamper 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

There were a couple of  stories last week ... DB saying they wouldn’t need to relocate as many jobs as they thought , news that influential EU lawmakers are suggesting clearing houses etc should stay in the UK  ... true neither  has actually happened and it’s just speculation , but that doesn’t usually stop ever other piece of speculation being reported .... guess it was far too important to focus on a hamper 

If the EU wants to cut itself from the sources of capital that keep the banking system and debt markets afloat then they won’t do a deal on financial services. If they want to maintain the Eurozone, they will.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

You may have missed the odd bit of news, then, in your absence :P  But glad you’re back.

Been back about 9 months, but thanks. Bigly. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Why don't you post these things instead of sneering a week later that no one has posted them?

That's a serious question, by the way.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, snowychap said:

sneering a week later that no one has posted them?

I don’t see that anywhere, but on the wider point about predictions, so far it seems like all the predictions/claims of the leave campaign have been plain wrong and all the predictions/claims of the remain campaign have tended to be overstated, but in the right general area.

Just now, blandy said:

I don’t see that anywhere, but on the wider point about predictions, so far it seems like all the predictions/claims of the leave campaign have been plain wrong and all the predictions/claims of the remain campaign have tended to be overstated, but in the right general area.

500,000 extra unemployed vs record levels of employment. Recession vs growth. Collapse in FDI vs increased FDI, increased manufacturing levels, all ‘despite Brexit’. 

At best it’s too early to call the accuracy of project fear’s predictions of doom.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

500,000 extra unemployed vs record levels of employment. Recession vs growth. Collapse in FDI vs increased FDI, increased manufacturing levels, all ‘despite Brexit’. 

At best it’s too early to call the accuracy of project fear’s predictions of doom.

I knew I should have added “of those where it’s possible to make a judgement, i.e. those where the timeframe fits” because clearly stuff about what will happen after we’ve left ( whether from leave or remain) can’t really be judged yet as we haven’t left yet. 

I understand in negotiations so far, the EU hasn't made a single concession.

Everything is going swimmingly and they are definitely the weaker party in talks.

Note - this ignores a true no deal as a desirable outcome, because that's clearly mental.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I knew I should have added “of those where it’s possible to make a judgement, i.e. those where the timeframe fits” because clearly stuff about what will happen after we’ve left ( whether from leave or remain) can’t really be judged yet as we haven’t left yet. 

I think the broader point is those favouring Remain are still arguing on the basis of arguments (proven or not) that failed to carry the referendum - i.e. economic. The arguments that won the referendum were about political autonomy and control (whether one agreed with them or not). 

To turn Brexit around those are the arguments that need to be addressed and won by Remain, not refighting lost battles with the same failed strategy. In that sense Remain aren’t even on the pitch, imo.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

I understand in negotiations so far, the EU hasn't made a single concession.

Everything is going swimmingly and they are definitely the weaker party in talks.

Note - this ignores a true no deal as a desirable outcome, because that's clearly mental.

Generally you’re right, but I think they have made concession(s). For example, they said there can be no talks on trade until the NI thing is sorted. It isn’t sorted, it’s unsortable unless we stay in the single market, yet trade talks are due to start...

• Like 1

Â