The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I was giving Stefan the benefit of the doubt. Personally I’m convinced you’re a raving gammon nazi.

Can I assume you were joking? I’ve been called a ‘‘liberal softy’, a ‘do-gooder’, a leftie’ (years of active Labour Party membership might be to blame for that one) and a ‘head-in-the-sand’ (when mentioning the pros of immigration) over the years but never a ‘raving gammon’. It seems somewhat opposite!

1 minute ago, brommy said:

Can I assume you were joking? I’ve been called a ‘‘liberal softy’, a ‘do-gooder’, a leftie’ (years of active Labour Party membership might be to blame for that one) and a ‘head-in-the-sand’ (when mentioning the pros of immigration) over the years but never a ‘raving gammon’. It seems somewhat opposite!

Congratulations on your successful humour by-pass operation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, brommy said:

Of course, yes. I’m more the silent sulk than wild confrontation if I think someone’s a wrong ‘un.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Massively false equivalence. The common argument is 'all racists voted to leave' not vice versa. And it's nowhere near as widespread as 'get Brexit done' which is the tagline of the governing party.

I don't think that's it's a false equivalence.

I said that they are all shit arguments, which you seem to agree with.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Came to post the same.

He either 

1) hasn't read his own deal

2) knows he is lying and he playing to his base

hmmm, which one could it be....?

I'll go for both, he hasn't read it but he knows he's lying because it's his default mode

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

My guess is extension granted (that stops early the first of the month if/when the agreement is ratified) and then the bill fails on third reading when any amendment preventing no deal is voted through as the ERG then withdraw their support.

Election to follow that and it's possible it won't be until end of Feb/March next year.

Plausible. However, assuming an extension is granted, it removes the SNP and Lib Dem objection to the election happening. They'll likely both increase their seats, so sooner rather later suits them - meaning a "notwithstanding the FTPA" bill would probably now get majority support. 

So as I see it, the only reason an election isn't voted through as soon as the extension is agreed is if the Conservatives  judge that their chances are improved by an attempt to bludgeon the bill through this Parliament rather than the next (regardless of whether it's successful or not)

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I'll go for both, he hasn't read it but he knows he's lying because it's his default mode

I was going to go for the same. Doesn't know, doesn't care, doesn't impact on him directly right now so not bothered. Knows what the 'right' answer should be so just says that and moves on.

Apparently, you can make a whole career out of it.

• Like 1

I guess they're going to have to change those motorway matrix signs. The one's that helpfully spell out the detail for transport firms. The ones that say:

'there may be changes to paperwork on 1st Nov'

it now needs a second screen to alternate with that says

'then again, there may not be'

That would be double the level of detail, so no excuse for not being prepared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

She isn't thick. She knows exactly what she's doing.

There's been a lot of this type of thing in this thread- various Labour MPs who voted with the Tories being accused of this or that, being called thickies and so on. It's quite, quite unfair.

Because, you know wasps, right? yeah.

Well you get these ones, parasitic ones, and what they do is they lay their eggs on the host's body, and then these eggs hatch and the larvae take over first the body, then the brain of the host, making it perform to their advantage, offering them protection from predators and so on, before finally hatching and killing the host altogether - though for much of the process the host is not much more than a declining shell, being eaten away from the inside*.

So knowing that, don't you all think you've been a bit harsh on Kate Hoey and the rest?

*Admittedly it's normally caterpillars that the wasps take over, but you know with genetic modification and all that - I mean how many tories are human and how many are alien space droids, parasitic demon-wasps, underworld escapees, or spectres from another dimension - loads, innit, so a few innocent ruminant Labour back-benchers could easily...yeah. Obvious now, isn't it?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Â