The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

QT last night; David Davis (who was in charge of the **** negotiations for 2 years) coming out and saying what we should have negotiated etc.

I think public opinion is really shifting but now the government has a huge responsibility to educate the electorate about why No Deal is an absolute disaster because too many people are pro-it right now.

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Now that parliament have the power to stop the absence of a deal meaning no deal, No Deal will only happen if the people vote for it again now right? 

Pretty much. There's very little appetite with no deal in parliament (or in the country as a whole imo). I think May knows that it's disastrous as well. She's a lot of things but she won't willingly destroy the country. The deal is going to fail so I can only see 2 options. Either our glorious leaders show a little backbone and make a tough decision themselves (I know, right? Who'd have thought it?) or it goes back to the people.

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Now that parliament have the power to stop the absence of a deal meaning no deal, No Deal will only happen if the people vote for it again now right? 

No.

No deal is the default if there is no agreed deal before 29th March 2019 and there is no extension to A50.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

No deal is the default if we leave 29th March without agreeing anything.

btw I really liked these analogies:

They're not perfect because there are different flavours of remain, but I think it's pretty widely expected that remain was a more unified front in terms of outcome.

This highlights how ridiculous the referendum was in the first place. You can't just group multiple options together under one umbrella in order the outvote the other side.
Imagine if we did that in general elections: a ballot that just says Tory or Not Tory. If Not Tory won Then you'd be stuck trying to make Labour, Lib Dem, UKIP and Green all compatible with each other.
Or to use an analogy outside of politics: imagine having the choice to vote between a lemon flavour candy and a red candy. Red candy wins because it groups together everyone who voted for it expecting Strawberry flavour, with everyone who voted expecting Cherry flavour.
The whole concept of being bound to a non-binding referendum based on ambiguous options is utterly insane, and trying to point that out gets met with idiots who tell you to shut up because "you lost so get over it already". Maybe if it was actually just a candy flavour at stake then such a rebbutal would be appropriate...

Link to Reddit thread

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I think public opinion is really shifting but now the government has a huge responsibility to educate the electorate about why No Deal is an absolute disaster because too many people are pro-it right now.

Yep.

People flat out see it as a positive. You see stuff on Twitter in reply to brexit stuff like "hurry up and give us the no deal brexit we voted for"

What the ****?!

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

No.

No deal is the default if there is no agreed deal before 29th March 2019 and there is no extension to A50.

There's a tweet thread summary here of the possibilities from a purely legal standpoint.

This is a thread about where we are with Brexit, from a law and policy perspective.

This thread is not about what is politically possible. Am not a political commentator.

This is instead about process and legal/policy options...

• Like 1

No Deal was not even an option for most people during the ref, other than disaster capitalists and hedge-fund manager who stand to profit from a no deal situation.

it's been put into people's heads as the goalposts have moved and the narrative has changed.

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Not sure about the Del Amitri reference, though. ;)

Oh, I don't know.  I learn from google that their songs include

"Kiss This Thing Goodbye"

"Driving with the Brakes On"

"Just Before You Leave"

"Tell Her This"

"Not Where It's At"

"Be My Downfall"

Sounds about right.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

No Deal was not even an option for most people during the ref, other than disaster capitalists and hedge-fund manager who stand to profit from a no deal situation.

it's been put into people's heads as the goalposts have moved and the narrative has changed.

Exactly this. The same people who are espousing the "no deal" are the same people who 2 years ago were saying "no one is saying we'll leave the single market and customs union" / "we can be like norway or switzerland or canada". The whole thing is an extremely dishonest mission-creep from the extreme camp to try and get us out without any deal at all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

As a foreigner who just briefly reads all the brexit stuff. Can someone tell me the positives of a brexit? What's the main argued points as to why you would want out? 

There are philosophical reasons but there aren’t any pragmatic reasons. 

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

She's now picking out the journalists she wants to speak to. Laura First, then someone else, then a "Is Ollie here from the Times"

She's said nothing, they've given nothing and she's f***ed

She picked out arse licker Kuenssberg, then someone from right wing rags the Times, Sun and Daily Mail. The Daily Mail asked about the EU bullies. What a waste of time.

• Like 1

Lipreader's analysis of the 'robust' exchange between May and Juncker

MAY: "I’m really struggling with being called nebulous."

Mr Juncker apparently can't hear or can't understand and moves his head forward

MAY: "Nebulous" (she says the word very carefully)

The camera then moves round the back of them, but this is what she seems to say...

MAY: "That is the problem, then we might be able to move…."

JUNCKER: "No, no." (touches her arm)

I'm physically shaking....it's just so....robust 😂

30 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I'm physically shaking....it's just so....robust 😂

In her defence I see Juncker was employing the old 'keep hand on upper arm to exert control' move, straight from the Trump Art of Persuasion ABC Handbook. It's just a good job the camera went out before he moved on to the full p*ssy grab!

• Confused 1

Â