Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

1 minute ago, limpid said:

You should try running a football forum for 14 years :)

True Simon. I am a lightweight mate :) Good meeting you today by the way mate and thanks for the help.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Risso said:

Do not let up now, you have our full support.

Pedant but they don't  have my support nor did they appear to have the support of the vast majority at the game today.

im not knocking what they are doing there is no doubting the sincerity of what they believe , but I'm not with them .

Hollis and Bernstein have done everything right so far , Lerner isn't going anywhere , so I'm not sure what the protest can achieve now ... A protest against the players I'd be more likely to get behind , they are in the main an embarrassment and a disgrace to the club 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Pedant but they don't  have my support nor did they appear to have the support of the vast majority at the game today.

im not knocking what they are doing there is no doubting the sincerity of what they believe , but I'm not with them .

Hollis and Bernstein have done everything right so far , Lerner isn't going anywhere , so I'm not sure what the protest can achieve now ... A protest against the players I'd be more likely to get behind , they are in the main an embarrassment and a disgrace to the club 

It's important that we not only show Lerner but the footballing world that we won't tolerate what is going on. Other fans of other clubs may just sit on their hands and let their clubs sleepwalk into the lower divisions, but we won't accept that. I think it's just a message to the board or even any potential owners that we won't sit back, shut up and be dictated. The protest shows a strong bond of a club that might be dead on the pitch but not in the stands. The spirit of this great club is still alive.

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

We only had a limited supply of banners to hand out. We met very, very little resistance at the game though we were open to it. I had a couple of brief debates, most of whom said that despite their misgivings, the question was indeed a valid one. 

The protests have achieved recognition. It's better than going down with a **** whimper. The fans are still trying, even if the players or indeed Randy Lerner are not. Our message is being heard, by the world. 

You say you want to protest against the players? Well today was your ideal opportunity. Did you bring a banner displaying your anger towards them? Or did you just not read any of our releases, statements, social media, VT posts? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We only had a limited supply of banners to hand out. We met very, very little resistance at the game though we were open to it. I had a couple of brief debates, most of whom said that despite their misgivings, the question was indeed a valid one. 

The protests have achieved recognition. It's better than going down with a **** whimper. The fans are still trying, even if the players or indeed Randy Lerner are not. Our message is being heard, by the world. 

You say you want to protest against the players? Well today was your ideal opportunity. Did you bring a banner displaying your anger towards them? Or did you just not read any of our releases, statements, social media, VT posts? 

I'm currently at home with a knee brace and crutches and will be for another 3 weeks so I didn't attend the game 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I'm currently at home with a knee brace and crutches and will be for another 3 weeks so I didn't attend the game 

Sorry to hear that. The opportunity was there though if you weren't injured. So please don't pretend AVPG are some kind of exclusive clique that doesn't speak for the fans. All we've ever tried to do is facilitate the fans to make themselves heard. Including yourself. 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

That's pretty grim, you have all my sympathy, hope you recover successfully.

But in that case, how can you say the protest didn't have the support of the ,majority of the fans? You weren't there.

25 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Hollis and Bernstein have done everything right so far , Lerner isn't going anywhere , so I'm not sure what the protest can achieve now ...

I'm a bit like that too. Slightly different, perhaps. They have my best wishes for the reason you say - the sincerity and that they have got off their backsides and actually done something and organised something. That's hard work, I know.

Yet I agree with you that Hollis and Bernstein have done everything right so far and with randy Lerner having finally put something in place that has a chance to solve long standing major problems, I kind of don't see the point of protesting against him. He's the man ultimately responsible for the mess, sure. He's doing something about it (yes, too late to save the club from relegation).

I suppose as well that I like that people are demonstrating their dissatisfaction so actively, too. Mixed feelings basically.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'm a bit like that too. Slightly different, perhaps. They have my best wishes for the reason you say - the sincerity and that they have got off their backsides and actually done something and organised something. That's hard work, I know.

Yet I agree with you that Hollis and Bernstein have done everything right so far and with randy Lerner having finally put something in place that has a chance to solve long standing major problems, I kind of don't see the point of protesting against him. He's the man ultimately responsible for the mess, sure. He's doing something about it (yes, too late to save the club from relegation).

I suppose as well that I like that people are demonstrating their dissatisfaction so actively, too. Mixed feelings basically.

I would love for someone to explain what Hollis and Bernstein have actually done other than sack the people they came in to take over from. 

Wish I could share the confidence that Lerner has finally started to solve the "problem" (the "problem" I guess being his continued ownership and lack of investment in the club) but the evidence on the ground as of now seems a bit thin. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I would love for someone to explain what Hollis and Bernstein have actually done other than sack the people they came in to take over from. 

Wish I could share the confidence that Lerner has finally started to solve the "problem" (the "problem" I guess being his continued ownership and lack of investment in the club) but the evidence on the ground as of now seems a bit thin. 

They have bought in little

removed garde after his happiness

disiplined gabby forhis unprofessional behaviour

removed fox and that other clown who failed miserably. I would say they are doing well so far. Don't know what more you expect from them at thus stage?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Fair enough. I think the problem has been lack of people who knew anything about football as a sport and how to run a club and so on being involved. Putting that type of person in place seems to me a good start to addressing the problems. As does getting rid of the ones who did the mess, because they were out of their depth, or square pegs in round holes. Maybe because that seems to bleeding' obvious, it doesn't register as "doing much" or providing much evidence.

With regard to the protest group etc. I think perhaps there are som many different views on who or what is to blame, or is the problem, (and most views have a level of validity and accuracy) that the protesting can sometimes seem a bit lacking in focus - as in "what are you protesting about?" - "everything - players, owner, managers, broken promises, crap slogans, stupid stewarding, just, y'know, everything" - which is fine by the way, I'm not knocking it. Like I said I like that people are demonstrating their dissatisfaction so actively, and they (we) have every cause to be dissatisfied.

26 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

That's pretty grim, you have all my sympathy, hope you recover successfully.

But in that case, how can you say the protest didn't have the support of the ,majority of the fans? You weren't there.

I watched it on TV but also my mate who i usually travel up with was there and I spoke to him 

36 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sorry to hear that. The opportunity was there though if you weren't injured. So please don't pretend AVPG are some kind of exclusive clique that doesn't speak for the fans. All we've ever tried to do is facilitate the fans to make themselves heard. Including yourself. 

I wasn't aware I had made AVPG as some kind of exclusive clique , it certainly wasnt the intention of my post and apologies if it was seen that way

like I say I'm not knocking the work you are all  doing or its motives ... I just think Lerner to some extent has negated a lot of the argument with his new appointments ... If you get a chance to see the game back on BT sport ( yeah I know , why would anyone want that ) you could kinda see the embarrassment and awkwardness on the new boards faces ... I just feel they deserve a chance and the fans on their side .... If they get the managerial appoint ment wrong and we still line up next season with Lescott and Richards  then fair enough then it's open season on them 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

The embarrassment that you might have been able to see (they were on screen for a fleeting moment that I saw) probably had as much, if not more, to do with the shameful crap on the pitch I think. That's a bigger problem for them than some extra bin bags post match day.

• Like 3

Â