Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

19 hours ago, terrytini said:

How do you mean ?

I mean that the protest is more about making individuals feel like THEY are doing something positive rather than actually achieving something positive. The protest won't stop us being relegated, it won't buy us new players or change those we have, it won't win us games, Fox and his cronies are going anyway and Lerner wants rid but can't so what exactly is the positive outcome of the positive aim of the protest ?

If you answer "we want everyone to know how pissed off we are" then guess what ..... everyone knows that already. We are bottom of the league, we are about to be relegated, we are the worst team in Premiership history, you don't need to "demonstrate" that you aren't happy.

Although you may not realise it or maybe you don't recognise it, there is a huge effort going on behind the scenes to maximise our chances of an immediate return next season. Do not underestimate what some of the new business guys are up to - they are not figureheads like Fox is, these guys are very much on the case.

They could have thrown money at big name players in January - not that I'm certain they would have come anyway - but it would have been a huge and hugely irresponsible gamble because if we still went down then we'd be in a far weaker position going into next season than where we will be.

I don't have much time for Lerner but I don't blame him for everything, I blame the middle management clowns who are about to be ousted at long last. We have weak players, we have a weak team but we have a very good manager in my opinion and we have some very good business people now involved at the club. We are doing the right things for right now but we won't see evidence of that until next season.

This season is crap and it hurts and it will continue to hurt in the coming weeks but protesting is pointless ..... there's nothing to protest about and no purpose to protest for in my honest opinion.

Edited by Paul33

13 hours ago, AJ said:

Possible phone conversation

Tom Fox : Mr Lerner! Mr Lerner! The fans! They are revolting!

Lerner : Yes Tom, I agree. I don't like them either. That's why I don't go and send you to the games instead.

Lerner : Tom, I heard the proles were calling you a rocket polisher? You and I know that is a false narrative Tom, but I'm afraid the Shunammite's have spoken. Pack your bags son. 

• Like 1

Brilliant - extra TV coverage can do the cause no harm at all.

Fully get behind everyone going.

Would love the hear the Villa faithful chant for Lerner and Fox to go for the whole 74 mins before deserting the stadium!

• Like 3

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/read-aston-villa-protest-groups-10986431

Read the Aston Villa protest group's message to fellow fans after Villa Park walkout
16:18, 3 MAR 2016
BY ALEX DICKEN
The Out the Door on '74' movement insist: "We cannot afford to let this momentum slip."...

:snip:

Some nice additional content on the page. Though it was definitely more than 1,000. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

I'm in the singing is more affective camp. Tom didn't like that at all.

And that Lerner song has a real ring it it, mind you I've always liked Garth Brooks.

I'll be in the 95% that don't walk out, although props as it did receive good media coverage even if the visual impact was minimal.

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/read-aston-villa-protest-groups-10986431

Some nice additional content on the page. Though it was definitely more than 1,000. 

Pat Murphy though it was about 2,000. I would go along with Pat. He also said this is worse Villa side he has commented on in 41 years.

Didn't read the article but I did see our brum Mail journos headline on Twitter was something like "no mass exodus"

Pissed me off for 2 reasons, he's a journalist so he should know there's no such thing as a "mass" exodus, secondly this is potentially a huge story for them so why deny it? If anything everyone else exaggerated it, our own local paper no doubt in another attempt not to bite the hand that feeds downplayed it?

6 hours ago, Paul33 said:

I mean that the protest is more about making individuals feel like THEY are doing something positive rather than actually achieving something positive. The protest won't stop us being relegated, it won't buy us new players or change those we have, it won't win us games, Fox and his cronies are going anyway and Lerner wants rid but can't so what exactly is the positive outcome of the positive aim of the protest ?

If you answer "we want everyone to know how pissed off we are" then guess what ..... everyone knows that already. We are bottom of the league, we are about to be relegated, we are the worst team in Premiership history, you don't need to "demonstrate" that you aren't happy.

Although you may not realise it or maybe you don't recognise it, there is a huge effort going on behind the scenes to maximise our chances of an immediate return next season. Do not underestimate what some of the new business guys are up to - they are not figureheads like Fox is, these guys are very much on the case.

They could have thrown money at big name players in January - not that I'm certain they would have come anyway - but it would have been a huge and hugely irresponsible gamble because if we still went down then we'd be in a far weaker position going into next season than where we will be.

I don't have much time for Lerner but I don't blame him for everything, I blame the middle management clowns who are about to be ousted at long last. We have weak players, we have a weak team but we have a very good manager in my opinion and we have some very good business people now involved at the club. We are doing the right things for right now but we won't see evidence of that until next season.

This season is crap and it hurts and it will continue to hurt in the coming weeks but protesting is pointless ..... there's nothing to protest about and no purpose to protest for in my honest opinion.

Well at least I see what you mean now.....don't agree though.

There are literally thousands of examples where protest and action brought about change - just like there are thousands of examples where it failed to do so. Neither you or I could have predicted which ones would, and wouldn't succeed, and this is no different.  It may well achieve nothing. But doing nothing will definitely achieve nothing. As such, the only one who can be SURE of achieving nothing in this example would be yourself.  So for me, Id rather give it a go. It doesn't make me feel as though I am doing something positive though, you are not right there - it makes me feel I MAY be, and that I certainly wasn't before.

One thing is for sure, the Club would far rather there were no banners, no adverse press, no walkouts, no chants.  So why would I choose that path ?

Now.....the bit in bold...........do you have any facts to back up your assertion that there is a huge effort going on behind the scenes ? If you do, lets hear them, and fair play to you. But if you don't .............??  Secondly, if there is such an effort, do you have any reason to believe it is a competent one ?

Next - same point really, do you have any factual evidence as to "what the new business guys are up to" ?  I mean, Ive seen none, and I would have thought that letting us know such information would be in their interests...  likewise, anything to back up they are "very good business people" ?...or evidence to show the relevance of that ?

What are the 'right things' we are doing ?

You mention they "could have THROWN (?) money at "big name" players - I'm not sure anyone thought we needed big name players, or that we should 'throw' money around - the targets I read of were neither big money nor big names.......not sure of the relevance of this.  Most people simply wanted them to back the Manager (who you think is doing ok - wouldn't you like to have seen him backed ?)

Finally you say there is "nothing to protest about " - well I would have thought being bottom of the League was reason enough, but if you don't see the other 100 reasons also I wont waste your time listing them  here !

Oh, nearly forgot - you say "Lerner wants rid"....any evidence of that ?  The last public announcement to refer to his position was "not a motivated seller".  Secondly you say, he "can't"..........he really can you know, selling us is the easiest thing in the world, he just doesn't want to enough................some of us hope to make him re-evaluate how motivated he is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Next - same point really, do you have any factual evidence as to "what the new business guys are up to" ?  I mean, Ive seen none, and I would have thought that letting us know such information would be in their interests...  likewise, anything to back up they are "very good business people" ?...or evidence to show the relevance of that ?

But not in this thread, obviously.

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Lerner : Tom, I heard the proles were calling you a rocket polisher? You and I know that is a false narrative Tom, but I'm afraid the Shunammite's have spoken. Pack your bags son. 

Tom: Rocket polisher? Oh, that must have been when I washed Joleon's car

Â