The VT Deadpool 2016

Seat68

41 minutes ago, choffer said:

Just got in to hear about Prince. Gutted. 

I was never a huge fan but saw him at one of his many O2 shows a few years ago and it was comfortably the best live show I've ever seen. A three hour show where he just machine gunned hit after hit. 20 minutes after the house lights go up, with the place almost empty, he reappears to treat a couple of hundred of us to another 3 songs.

Two hours later he is on at the indigo and plays for four hours. If I wasn't a fan before then, I certainly was by the time I got home at 6 am that morning.

RIP you little purple wizard.

I was there that night. In fact I was at the O2 and Indigo 3 nights. I am a HUGE massive Prince fan. Have every album, tour programme, the lot, inc the Time, Sheila E, Paisley park artists stuff inc Maserati and Jill Jones etc. I'm strangely okay with his death. Maybe it hasn't hit home yet, that I am in denial still that my musical idol has gone. I was shaking earlier over it but am calm. His music will live on, he was the most amazing live performer I have ever seen. Saw him in 1990 at the NEC play every instrument on stage better than his band. A true musical genius. LIke all his music got inconsistent as he got older but he was happy doing it for him. He had his rocket polisher moments, suing fans via websheriff and takedowns on youtube for example. But christ what a musician. At the O2 gigs he had no earphones OR monitors and swas note perfect on every song al 3 nights.

As I said to my sister who is devestated over this, he was Bowie for our generation.

An absolute musical genius who was passionate about the music in an indistry all about the bravado and show. I took friend who hated Prince to the O2 shows and they came away converted at his musical genius.

It really is a sad day for music and popular culture.

• Like 3

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly enough Stew, you were the first person I thought about when I saw the news. I know you and your sister were huge fans.

Like you say, a sad day for music and pop culture.

• Like 1

I think almost like Bowie where you might not know exactly who he is or what he represents or how big a deal he is everyone knew who he was, he's a certified AAA+ pop star

To lose 2 of them in the space of 3 months is madness

• Like 2

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 20:57, mjmooney said:

Guitarist Lonnie Mack dead at 74. 

Who? Google him.

Don't think I need to Google him. Didn't he do an excellent instrumental version of 'Memphis Tennessee' simply called ' Memphis' ? Perhaps famous fro playing a 'Flying Vee' - not sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Don't think I need to Google him. Didn't he do an excellent instrumental version of 'Memphis Tennessee' simply called ' Memphis' ? Perhaps famous fro playing a 'Flying Vee' - not sure. 

That's the feller.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

That's the feller.

Sure someone posted one of his tracks here not a million years ago, and I responded with this...

Or I might have dreamt it?

Jeez Xann !  That was the theme music to a 1960's radio programme called Mike Raven's R & B (or summat like that). It was essential listening for us 'Mods' but sadly I might be the only one on here old enough to remember it !!  It certainly sounds like his style and I see that one of the writers is 'Dixon' ;wonder if that is the legendary Willie Dixon.

NB. When I refer to 'R & B'' this was the proper R & B not the tripe that is given that sobriquet today. 

My connection isn't quite so romantic. Know it from a pointer from a collector, and the Ace compilation 'Kent's Cellar of Soul' ;)

It's King Curtis and Luther Dixon. Busy session workers.

On 4/24/2016 at 11:26, Xann said:

Sure someone posted one of his tracks here not a million years ago, and I responded with this...

Or I might have dreamt it?

think that was probably me, i posted two of his tracks a little while back.Guess the Oreo cookie blues finally got to him

17 hours ago, mockingbird_franklin said:

Aretha Franklin did a pretty good vocal version of Soul Serenade

I read the first two words in that sentence, and nearly had a full on meltdown! I thought Aretha had died for a split second!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Brum Beat legend Jimmy Powell - His first solo single Sugar Babe featured Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Clem Cattini and was the first single to be released from a Birmingham artist often described as one of the most powerful singers in the West Midlands 

• Like 1

I assume that is Jimmy Powell from 'Jimmy Powell and the Five Dimensions' ? God, they were good ; saw them at a club in town  called The Whisky A'go go on the corner of Navigation Street - later changed it's name to The Crazy E. Another great talent that should have been more famous.

• Like 1