Pre-Match thread

John

So, assuming Westwood, Sanchez and Ayew are out I'd go with this formation and team:

-----------------------------Guzan------------------------------

Hutton----------Okore------------Lescott----------Cissokho

---------------Bacuna---Veretout----Gana-------------------

Traore--------------------------------------------------Grealish

---------------------------Gestede-----------------------------

On the basis that at times we can play like this:

Bacuna---------Veretout----------Gana------------Grealish

---------------------------Gestede----------------------------

And still stay pretty solid even if Traore gets lost from time to time - that way we can take all the best of him, without thinking we can turn him into a defensive player between now and Saturday.

The weakness there is Grealish needing to take a lot responsibility down that left flank - I don't think Sinclair is enough of a midfielder to do it, but the next alternative is Richardson.

I'd drop Richards on form. I think the other two have looked more solid. If the balloon on Okore's knee is still up then Richards would have that spot.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, assuming Westwood, Sanchez and Ayew are out I'd go with this formation and team:

---------------Bacuna---Veretout----Gana-------------------

Traore--------------------------------------------------Grealish

---------------------------Gestede-----------------------------

On the basis that at times we can play like this:

Bacuna---------Veretout----------Gana------------Grealish

---------------------------Gestede----------------------------

And still stay pretty solid even if Traore gets lost from time to time - that way we can take all the best of him, without thinking we can turn him into a defensive player between now and Saturday.

The weakness there is Grealish needing to take a lot responsibility down that left flank - I don't think Sinclair is enough of a midfielder to do it, but the next alternative is Richardson.

I'd drop Richards on form. I think the other two have looked more solid. If the balloon on Okore's knee is still up then Richards would have that spot.

Maybe I can't count, but your second appears to be missing a forward.  Based on your text, I'm going to assume you meant Traore paired with Gestede?

10 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Maybe I can't count, but your second appears to be missing a forward.  Based on your text, I'm going to assume you meant Traore paired with Gestede?

No, I mean we have a formation that's then specifically designed for a 4-4-1 with Traore being wherever he ends up on top of that. A 4-4-1 plus Traore with no particular position. It's a formation that means he doesn't have to take any responsibility for doing anything but the things he's good at. When he's missing we still have Bacuna protecting Hutton.

• Like 1

We managed to beat Sunderland 4-0 away about 10 months ago and went there with a positive line up of: Guzan, Okore, Clark, Bacuna, Lowton, Cleverley, Sinclair, Delph, N'Zog, Gabby and Benteke.

Looking at that line up you can see we really went for it and we had lots of players in that team capable of scoring or if not at least creating chances. No surprise we also managed 8 shots on target.

IMO we need to again not be afraid and play an attacking line up and go for the win from the 1st minute of the match - not the 80th or 90th.

We can beat them but unless we radically change our approach to games we're not going to. 

1 hour ago, KJT123 said:

Guzan

Richards Okore Lescott Bacuna

Gana Sanchez Veretout 

Adama Gestede Grealish

This but Sanchez is out. Throw in young Lyden 

3 minutes ago, Barney_avfc said:

Rushian Hepburn Murphy has been training with the first team ahead of this game (and Gary Gardner). I can see him making the bench given we're short up front with Ayew's suspension. 

How do you know that?

Just reading that Cissokho might not be ready - for me that means Gardner starting in midfield and Bacuna to left back.

Our current midfield depth goes: Veretout, Gana, Bacuna, Gardner, Lyden - we have to play with three because of our lack of physical presence, and one of them is our back up left back despite being a right back by nature. 

It's no real surprise we're where we are is it?

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just reading that Cissokho might not be ready - for me that means Gardner starting in midfield and Bacuna to left back.

Our current midfield depth goes: Veretout, Gana, Bacuna, Gardner, Lyden - we have to play with three because of our lack of physical presence, and one of them is our back up left back despite being a right back by nature. 

It's no real surprise we're where we are is it?

I agree Bacuna will continue at LB for this match

With all of the suspensions/injuries etc I'd expect us to line up as follows:

....................Guzan

Hutton.Richards.Lescott.Bacuna

.....Veretout.Gana.Richardson

.....................Gil

..........Gestede.Sinclair

I already fear the worst.

Just don't see us getting anything from this, I think the reason we do so well up there is the combined age of sunderlands defence is 234, they struggled against the power and pace of benteke and gabby, without these & ayew our attack will no doubt consist of long balls for gestede to fall over trying to control.

---------------------------------------------------Guzan-----------------------------------------------

Hutton-----------------------Richards-----------------------Okore-------------------------Bacuna

--------------------------------Gueye-------------------------Gardner---------------------------------

Sinclair----------------------------------------Veretout------------------------------------Richardson

--------------------------------------------------Gestede-------------------------------------------------

Bunn,Clark,Lescott,Grealish,Traore,Gil,Hepburn-Murphy