Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

No direction would have been buying the best available players with no regards to what we actually needed.

From last season, we needed:

A gk - we got one

New CB's - we got two

Strikers - we got two

Midfielders - we got two

I can't see how you can label our business as having no direction.

It comes across as petty.

We still have no natural width. We have about 5 players who seen to want to play the number 10 role. I'm still a bit lost when watching as to what the plan is.

Just now, Woodytom said:

Who says spending money is the best way out of it?

I'd be confident in saying that throughout the football world, the teams that spend money tend to finish higher in the league. 

What's a better approach than signing proven players in this league? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

Devils advocate: on that basis we shouldnt moan when the money isn't being spent?

We are supposed to be football fans first and foremost; not accountants or business managers.  Spending money typically - not always but typically - leads to a stronger team and better performances.  We all know what not spending can lead to - terrible soul destroying performances, constant losses, relegation.  So as football fans we moan when money isn't being spent because we want a competitive team and better performances, even though we don't pay for it ourselves.  And of course, as rational people we celebrate when we spend - unless you're a Villa fan in which case you moan both ways. 

• Like 1

Good thing we're strongly linked with a winger then.

I just can't see how you can look at a summer of signing Championship experienced players, in positions of need as a 'lack of direction'. That doesn't make any sense.

What would make you happy WT? What business this summer would have you considered purposeful and having a direction?

12 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Who says spending money is the best way out of it?

If over paying reaps rewards then it's money well spent as the return on investment will be huge once back in the premier league, what we are spending is small time in comparison to clubs in the premier league l, look at palace, buying one player for 32million, their transfer record blows ours out the water! 

We want to be a premier league team again, then this is the quickest way to go about it. 

I think it's really pathetic that some people are moaning that we are spending money.  The last 5 years we have not spent enough and ended up getting relegated.  Now we spend money to help us get promoted and certain people aren't happy.  If we hardly spent anything this summer then I bet they would be unhappy as well.  Can't win!   

Edited by Made In Aston

48 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

It doesn't matter if the scenarios are different. We can't pick and choose the moments in which we take the attitude of 'its not our money' imo.

Of course it matters.

It's a really asinine point anyway. We've over paid a little to get the striker we need. The manager is being backed and we needed to spend the money to do that imo. You feel differently.

I'm over it already. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Good thing we're strongly linked with a winger then.

I just can't see how you can look at a summer of signing Championship experienced players, in positions of need as a 'lack of direction'. That doesn't make any sense.

What would make you happy WT? What business this summer would have you considered purposeful and having a direction?

well it seems the striker speculation (can never be taken as gospel), was just random name after random name plucked from thin air. I mean we didn't sign hernandez for what would have been stupid money....so we immediately go and spunk 15m on another random striker from the championship who has had one decent season. I don't think we have strengthened at all really in cm - our big weakness. And I think we've bought a poor rb. It's not so much the fact we've spent 55m it's the fact I think it could have been spent a lot wiser. Maybe it will come together but so far it hasn't worked.

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

well it seems the striker speculation (can never be taken as gospel), was just random name after random name plucked from thin air. I mean we didn't sign hernandez for what would have been stupid money....so we immediately go and spunk 15m on another random striker from the championship who has had one decent season. I don't think we have strengthened at all really in cm - our big weakness. And I think we've bought a poor rb. It's not so much the fact we've spent 55m it's the fact I think it could have been spent a lot wiser. Maybe it will come together but so far it hasn't worked.

But we're a Championship side. For a Championship side, most of our signings are coups. PL players dropping down a division. Who would you have targeted at 8m a player to improve us?

And I strongly disagree that we've signed a random name because we failed with Hernandez. We've been linked with Kodjia all summer.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I think it's really pathetic that some people are moaning that we are spending money.  The last 5 years we have not spent enough and ended up getting relegated.  Now we spend money to help us get promoted and certain people aren't happy.  If we hardly spent anything this summer then I bet they would be unhappy as well.  Can't win!   

Haha..... il keep referring to last season when people were very pleased with the summer. 

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd be confident in saying that throughout the football world, the teams that spend money tend to finish higher in the league. 

What's a better approach than signing proven players in this league? 

A better manager ?